Is there anything wrong with salvaging food from dumpsters? how often do you do it? any tips?

is there anything wrong with salvaging food from dumpsters? how often do you do it? any tips?

Didn't learn your lesson from five minutes ago, OP?

>bring so poor that you have to dumpster dive
May as well just kill yourself desu

I work at a place that throws out alot of food I stick my finger in my ass and rub it on everything we throw out

Sure you do, Timmy.

>wrong
Yes, I completely ghosted a bitch because she told me she went dumpster diving. That's fucking disgusting.

its highly unhygienic, maybe you are good for a few hundred times but one day you will catch some shit and i really dont want that.

I understand that there is need for a different disposal system but dumpster diving is NOT it

>Use to work supermarket shift
>place throughs out a fuck load everyday
>goes straight into a bag then into the dumpster
>A can of coke gets pierced when unloading stuff
>Have to empty it out before we bag it
>Instead of pouring it straight down the sink I take a drink first as I was thirsty
>Get shouted at for 20 minutes and nearly lose my job

sort your life out you destitute gypsy piece of shit.

How often do you find mold or other signs of spoilage?

Whenever I was in college, a friend of mine started brewing beer and we needed bottles. At the time we drank mostly shit beer in cans because it was cheap. What we decided to do was go to the bar, drink all night, and steal the bottles we needed out of the dumpster. We cleaned the fuck out of them and it worked out really well.

That's the only time I think I've ever gone dumpster diving.

Sucks, but there's a reason they get up in your ass about it. If they didn't, you know people would "accidentally" damage or contaminate food so they can get free meals. Or just steal shit and claim it was damaged.

rofl same thing happened to me except it was one of these fuckers
they're very good

There's nothing wrong with it, I guess. I think it's a little gross. I've never done it for food items. I've done it once behind a post office and got a man sized box full of blank stickers, felt tip pens, packages of 8.5x11 paper, card stock. All kinds of art supply goodies.

Unless you live in a 3rd world country or exist in a Fallout universe, dumpster diving for food is only that the homeless and trash do. How often do I do it? None. Any tips? Get a job so you can pay for our own food.

Here in the UK we have a brand of supermarket called Marks & Spencers. The quality of stuff is better than other supermarkets but the cost doesn't justify. If something is damaged but still use-able it gets a yellow reduced label put on it. We usually wouldn't get this stuff as it immediately goes to the reduced section. However when things are going past their sell buy date, they get put here and it's a big thing. Like people know what time the stuff goes out and wait around the section. Anyway, when we were closing up, our new manager would get all the stuff that was to be put in reduced the next day, lay it all out and we could buy upto ten items each for 10 pence each. I'd go home with 3 legs of lamb for 30 pence etc. He knew we were all poor students are was being bro-tier. So the fags who'd camp out the reduced section obviously knew something was up as there would be hardly any good shit left. Upper-management caught wind of what he was doing and sacked him. He wasn't reported by any of us because who the fuck would do that and we all liked him and benefited from it. I heard a Morrisons near me was regularly getting hit up by dumpster divers. They've now locked and put their bins in cages. Fuck knows why.

Bitch saved like .50 cents worth of flour, yeast, and olive oil in order to act like a hobo. Bread isn't even nutritious food.

>I heard a Morrisons near me was regularly getting hit up by dumpster divers. They've now locked and put their bins in cages. Fuck knows why.
Probably because people were dumpster diving rather than buying shit. Never underestimate how much people will debase themselves to save a buck.

I throw out a lot of food at work but it's all perishable and anyone who tried to dive in our dumpster would instantly regret it. Anything edible is donated to the local soup kitchen.

>Things white hipsters do the thread

I am from a third world country and nobody dumpster dives because of poor sanitation. It is better to pick fruit from trees.

Had a guy at our place get immediately fired for taking a bite out of a sandwich they were going to throw out on a late shift.

They don't fuck about.

Couldn't you have just asked for them?

Same reason they're throwing that food in the trash instead of giving it to a shelter: liability.
Sooner or later some chucklefuck's going to get sick on a sarnie ten minutes past expiry date and management doesn't want to deal with that lawsuit.

Current job:
>free coffee
>free hot chocolate
>free sodas/Snapple/tea/etc in a fridge restocked daily

For a while I worked for a vending company and they said I could eat a meal for every 8 hours and if it turned in to a 12, I could at another one.

I didn't actually have to show the warehouse fresh food that I had to toss because of age, so I'd eat that instead.
The only thing I took that wasn't out of date was energy drinks because I mostly worked at night.
If I drank more than 2 a day, I'd just record them in my handheld as damaged/broken because they didn't expect you to bring back a sticky fucking mess.

>he doesnt like free food
What a cuck

head on over to your local little cesars 10 minutes after close and help yourself to as many hot and ready pizzas as you like fresh from the dumpster out back with only minimal garbage juice contamination

Free greasy cardboard is still greasy cardboard

>too poor to buy bread
>has enough time and money for a cell phone and a twitter account

I've only ever dived at GameStop

Diving for food seems really unsanitary and disgusting desu only degenerates do that.

>However when things are going past their sell buy date, they get put here and it's a big thing. Like people know what time the stuff goes out and wait around the section
This is exactly why businesses throw the stuff in the garbage. If there becomes enough of a following for the clearance stuff that people are waiting for it to expire, it's hurting the sales of the regular priced stuff.

this

I used to be good friends with the guys who worked the grocery section of the Target where I had my first job. They didn't throw anything out. When something was expired or about to expire, they would set it up in the breakroom and give their bros first dibs on anything especially good.

I was poor at the time, so I lived off of expired Target food. Those were the days.

My friend walked into a shop I was working at with six giant heavy duty trahs bags of popcorn and announced he was fired and didn't even like popcorn.
He had taken them out of the movie theater dumpsters after work and was caught on camera.

what the hell does gamestop throw away?

Promotional posters and stand ups I guess?

Games and promotional things.
Very rarely will you find consoles and figures/clothing etc

yo m8 this is a poverty thread dont be so weird

>visit my girlfriend's family in England
>parents have pantry and fridge totally stocked in anticipation for guests
>we end up eating out normally anyway (thank you Brexit for devaluing the pound!)
>food approaches "best by" date
>doesn't even pass it
>it's the expiry date, just the best by date
>family throws it all out

We live in a country that abhors waste like that so it was pretty shocking to see her family throw perfectly good food away like that. They aren't even rich, they're working class.

Maybe, but we were not thinking properly. Staying in a state of constant drunkenness fogs the mind. I kind of doubt it though. Most places have strict rules about trash.

My wife runs a store right next to a GameStop and there are constantly people getting into the dumpsters going through the GameStop garbage.

Unfortunately for them, everyone in the strip uses the same dumpsters. The dumbasses are always getting cut by glass and shit. I watched one of my wife's employees accidentally smash some kid with a bag of garbage one time. It fucked him up too.