When u tryna develop detachment but develop a deep antipathy for the world instead

>when u tryna develop detachment but develop a deep antipathy for the world instead

Any recs, lads?

Other urls found in this thread:

goldenelixir.com/publications/eot_quanzhen.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

gardening

this or taoism. or both.

I love this. It's why Anselm is my favorite character from The Recognitions, and why Father Ferapont is my favorite in Brothers K. It's an archetype that needs to be explored a lot more.

Would you recommend those?

Any books on gardening?

where to start with taoism?

Yes. But they won't leave you happy

They will tell you to start with the Daodejing, and they're not wrong but there is an "Old Testament" to it. Because the Yijing (I-Ching) is both a proto-Confucian AND proto-Daoist text.

Introductory works:
Introducing Daoism by Livia Kohn
An Introduction to Chinese Philosophy by JeeLoo Liu

Yijing:
The Complete I-Ching by Alfred Huang

Daodejing:
The Daodejing of Laozi by Ivanhoe
Other translations to compare it with:
Lao-tzu's Taoteching by Red Pine
The Tao of the Tao Te Ching by Michael LaFargue
Daodejing by Edmund Ryden

Zhuangzi:
The Complete Works of Zhuangzi

Liezi:
The Book of Lieh-Tzu by A.C. Graham

Beyond the Liezi:
Dao Companion to Daoist Philosophy

Then you're free to read the Analects of Confucius, Mencius, Mozi, Lotus Sutra, Diamond Sutra... Daoists are very syncretic, they've been reading and highly respecting other Chinese philosophers and Mahayana Buddhist scriptures for centuries. To do so is not the New Age, it's the Old Age!

You can also read the Cambridge Companion to Ancient Scepticism and Cambridge Companion to the Stoics, and the more recent Western philosophers that discuss process philosophy, or anything you want.

red pine is a good lad aint he?

you got anything on the Quanzhen School?

I hate the world too, I've been locked in for a few months now.

Probably need some vitamine D around now

>trying
found your problem
there
we're done here

goldenelixir.com/publications/eot_quanzhen.html

The Teachings and Practices of the Early Quanzhen Taoist Masters by Eskildsen

Komjathy, Louis. 2007. Cultivating Perfection: Mysticism and Self-Transformation in Quanzhen Daoism.

how does one stop trying?

i'm assuming you can't try to stop trying.

just do it

“So many people are shut up tight inside themselves like boxes, yet they would open up, unfolding quite wonderfully, if only you were interested in them." - Sylvia Plath

To overcome feelings of hate, nurture feelings of love.

I don't mean a shallow love which pretends the world is all sunshine and roses, or the selfish love which is based on relative value. I mean the kind of love we all want, or at least need - to be seen naked for who we are, good and bad, and seen as valuable and worthy.

This does not mean the bad is taken as equal or necessary to the good, but it is accepted as a product of human frailty to be worked at, buffed time-and-again, chiseled and hammered carefully and diligently over the course of a lifetime to educe the divine beauty sleeping within.

Life is suffering. Remember? So, your place is to learn to feel the suffering of every man, and determine to count your own suffering as irrelevant and negligible - a Sisyphean stone to be rolled uphill as many times as is necessary.

Take an interest in individual human beings, and determine to empathize with them to whatever degree they let themselves be known to you.

When I say empathize, I mean empathy in it's purest sense - oneness. Become one with them. Relegate yourself to a vessel whose only purpose is to be filled with Light. Determine to destroy and distance yourself from any thought, emotion, or outside influence that would tarnish that light, and cultivate this quality of a pure vessel.

However, this is not for yourself. A vessel does not feel, a vessel does not have needs. A vessel has one purpose - to carry something.

Carry love, compassion, understanding, and support to any who would be willing to receive it, so that you may understand suffering and quell the part of you which tells you, "I'm different from them."

This true empathy has two parts: the inner environment and the outer environment.

Developing the inner environment is about getting to know people and understanding them. This is as applicable to individuals as to people groups. You must strive for an emotional and intellectual solidarity, of sorts.

The outer environment, is all about action. Do what you can to share in the burdens of others, to lighten their burdens and weaken your own desire to be free of toil and suffering, as well as to simply understand in a more literal sense what it is like for others.

There is a saying that goes, "be kind, for every man is fighting a hard battle." Your place will be that of a suffering servant who learns who a man is, what his battles are and were, and why they are a source of hardship and suffering for him. In time you will come to understand human beings more, and your feelings of antipathy will subside and give way to compassion.

Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep.

I realize I failed to specify why this will bring detachment.

Once you realize that you are merely a reflection of others and they are a reflection of you, that their sufferings are your sufferings and vise-versa, hating them becomes meaningless. Criticizing becomes meaningless - just as self-loathing is meaningless.

You are one.

Intellectually, I'm sure you can appreciate this already. However, there is a dimension of understanding which is only born by practice. This is why I have advised as I have.

riding on this thread's theme, are there any traditional Buddhist or similar religions stories about a hero using getting fucked up through meditation, or using meditation for the wrong reasons, sort of an evil buddha kind of character

Or is that kind of theme not explored and considered an absurdity on those societies? As in Plato's relationship between ignorance and evil

lmao

Can you elaborate more about how to become the "vessel?"

You missed the Nei Yeh. It is translated on a book called 'the original tao'. Check also the Wen zi. And the yi-king is more broadly chinese than just taoist.

Also, This book is a great overview of ancient China's schools: Disputer of the Tao by AC Graham.