What are some good movies / documentaries about maths?

What are some good movies / documentaries about maths?

Other urls found in this thread:

Veeky
youtube.com/watch?v=bk_Kjpl2AaA
youtube.com/watch?v=w-I6XTVZXww
youtube.com/watch?v=qevpRffg6wc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

pi

the only maths in the movie is his name and he knows a lot of pis' digits

kek
It is a good movie though
Goodwill Hunting and A Beautiful Mind are also good movies about math people. Not so much a documentary but rather "based on a true story" but entertaining nonetheless.

The story of maths was pretty nice. there was a documentary about grigory perelman on public tv that was also nice

Beautiful Young Minds - a documentary about a bunch of sperglords competing in the IMO

The man who knew infinity was ok, not terrible. The Imitation Game isn't as accurate, but still watchable and entertaining.

Academic films are never good. Hollywood just can't into academia as well as writers can.

>Goodwill Hunting
Fuck off and die he asked for movies about maths not some fictional snowflake entertainment bullshit.

A Beautiful Mind was ok.

Fuck off he asked for documentaries about maths not a bunch autists obsessed with doing baby practice problems really fast.

Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Documentaries

Simon Singh has written two easy to digest books on it:
Fermat's Last Theorem
The Code Book
Haven't read his latest book, but from this talk it seems okay
youtube.com/watch?v=bk_Kjpl2AaA

Mirin the detail in that pic.

I bet you couldn't do a single problem in the IMO, kek

>I bet you couldn't write a single meaningful paper in a internationally peer reviewed journal, kek

Fuck off gook, you're NOT a real mathematician and chances are you never will be.

youtube.com/watch?v=w-I6XTVZXww

It's outstanding

Stay mad and /pol/ faggot, I'm white

Fuck off cumskin, you're NOT a real mathematician and chances are you never will be.

numberphile.

also i watched this today, humorous, mildly entertaining, yet educational doco about the invention of numbers

youtube.com/watch?v=qevpRffg6wc

>Fuck off gook, you're NOT a real mathematician and chances are you never will be.
Neither will you retard.

>yfw I'm so good at what I do I've already been offered a permanent lectureship and I haven't even done my defense yet.
No really post your face, I want to see it.

We jews have been the pioneers of maths while you squint eyed retards were busy inventing the abacus. Now keep your head down.

You're oven fuel. Don't even quote me.

lmao for one smart jew, we have 10 chinese geniuses. You are outnumbered and outgunned when it comes to the smarts.

Remind me who has more fields medals again? Before we even start to consider the fact that there are literal billions of you gook roaches infecting the planet's surface.

The life of Pi

omg my fav movie

Veeky Forums won't like this, but they're simply wrong: The Man Who Knew Infinity is actually a fairly decent film treatment of math as-such, and what the process of doing math is actually like. Yes it's dramatized, because It's A Movie You Dip, it has to give people other things to latch onto apart from the math itself. And there really was a certain dramatic arc to Ramanujan's life, a story worth telling.

And there actually is relatively (by film standards) substantive mathematical material presented in the movie: reference is made to the gamma function, the partitions bit is spelled out for people, different aesthetic approaches to math are presented (this is important as well), and the taxicab meme is even thrown in at the end. Ramanujan writes out some sort of an elliptic integral in a series representation on the blackboard, which actually stands a check IIRC. No you're not going to get IUT in the film, but it's perhaps unrealistic to expect such of a movie. A documentary, maybe.

This dramatic life-arc is unusual of mathematicians. Most mathematicians lead extremely dull lives, which is why when a Galois-personal-life meme comes along, people latch onto it, because there's actually a little sexiness to that story, which doesn't come along very often in the private lives of mathematicians.

My point is that the recent Ramanjan movie actually tries to present some actual math and explain a bit about why people do it and care about it, and what their private lives and interactions can be like (albeit in a dramatic example), and it succeeds to a viable degree. Most other movies that are anything to do with math don't even manage this: pi is a fun aesthetic student film but he's just rambling about spirals, pi, arithmetic etc and not actually doing anything truly mathematical.