>its about building a totalitarian dystopia
What did he mean by this?

>a book

Republic doesnt need to be democratic.
Point in case:USA

>dystopia

lel

This.

'Republic' doesn't mean what you think it means; it's Latin for 'public matter', or 'public affairs', so really 'government' (of any kind).

Just got this. What am I in for? No meme answer pls

The original title is Πολιτεία (Politeia). Etymologically goes back to the the verb politeuomai (which means the action of a polis (city-state) citizenship or the running of the polis.

So really, 'concerning the running/workings of the city-state'.

>Totalitarian
>Bad

>Democracy
>Good

You got some growing up to do, kid.

It's called The Republic because Anglos are retarded when they name Greek shit and they use the Latin names instead.(Πολιτεία -> De Re Publica -> The Republic).

They also do the same thing with Aristotle's On The Soul.(Περὶ Ψυχῆς -> De Anima)

They also did the same with Herakles, e.g used the Latin Hercules.

why would he write a book with a latin title if he's greek? most people on Veeky Forums are just talking out of there respective asses and your one of them

Plato was Roman.

>writes a book called Phaidon
>isn't actually about Phaidon

because the English title is a translation from the Latin translation of the original Greek title?

you fucking dip

>everyone doing what they're best at
>protected and ruled by well-trained, incorruptible guardians
>focused on the happiness and well-being of the population

sounds p. good to me m8

I was taught that the original title was "On Justice," whatever the Greek translation of that would be.

Makes sense, since the political philosophy is just an analogy to better understand the nature of a just human soul (according to a surface reading of the text, at least).

>Ban poetry

Such a good example for Veeky Forums

only for the guardian class.

Read the Bloom version this is covered in the first footnote.

great posts

good posts

bad posts

Thanks friend, I will put this rating by user on my resume.

Whenever election season comes around it just makes me think voting was a mistake because the majority of people are idiots and are easily swayed to anything at all.

what was so bad about my post, care to explain?