If they end up calling it dark propulsion Im literally going to punch someone

If they end up calling it dark propulsion Im literally going to punch someone

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/TttHkDRuyZw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

ya i think they should name it hypothetical dark propulsion cause it like people say it violates the laws of thermodynamics or something lol

it's already got a name, bud, and that is memeDrive.

They actually might, I'm tired of explaining to people that "dark" is a meme word used by scientists to explain anything they can't directly observe.

non sciencefag here, is this what they used in star trek?

>they call it the dark force to appeal to the masses

they end up calling it dark science and Diaz takes time out from not doing his webcomic to sue them

I don't get why this is so hard to understand.

Plebe here, what's so impossible about this? Aren't there balls with internal weights that roll themselves without pushing against anything?

They always push of something.(mostly friction).

This thing should not be possible because newtons first law claims that if you consider any object by itself and there are no forces pushing against it it cant possible move. No matter what happens inside it.

Dark Drive.

The concept of dark matter is very hard to understand if you don't know anything about GR or cosmology or particle physics or astrophysics at all. Like with all things self-absorbed people don't understand, they won't conclude that they just don't know enough to get it, no, they will pretend like it's the theory that's mistaken. Just think about the arrogance at work here, it's ridiculous.

Can't it be pushing off itself?

There's an excellent beer-reviewed troll paper:

On the exhaust of electromagnetic drive
Patrick Grahn, Arto Annila, and Erkki Kolehmainen
AIP Advances 6, 065205 (2016); doi: 10.1063/1.4953807

Guess what? Dark photons.

im retarded and thought this thing was run off radio waves

does radio waves have mass? isnt it just using that mass?

>The concept of dark matter is very hard to understand if you don't know anything about GR or cosmology or particle physics or astrophysics at all
But dark matter is literally just stuff that have mass that we cannot observe or otherwise interact with it, as far I understand it.

let's assume for a moment the memedrive is actually legit
>be physicist
>spend years to get a shiny phd and be all smug and elitist
>act like you are unravelling the secrets of the universe
>some faggot in a shed puts some electricity to a microwave and blows you all your colleagues the fuck out
it's fucking glorious.

its really funny because it will make all the old professors who think theyre awesome lose faith in themselves

thatll pass down to their studens

we'll have an entire generation of people who no longer believe in themselves

let's face it, meme magic is real

they said brexit is not gonna happen and it happened

they said trump presidency is not gonna happen and it happened

now they say the memedrive isnt real and it just keeps working

turns out the most important scientific discovery was not gravity or x-rays or quantum theory

it was pepe all along

it is obvious that we live in a simulation and you can glitch the system by memeing hard enough

the memedrive is real and we will go to deep space, enlightening other civilizations about how we broke the laws of physics with meme magic

we are the flagship of a new era

shadilay praise kek my brother

>it is obvious that we live in a simulation and you can glitch the system by memeing hard enough

but its not a glitch

the system was designed to support democracies of thought

when the people meme together they are signalling the machine to create that thing

it appears the demographic of 4chans meme powers are stronger than most others, for some reason i do not quite yet understand

but one day science will prove us right my friend

> does radio waves have mass? isnt it just using that mass?
Photon drives (using photons as reaction mass) are real, but the thrust/power ratio is so low is to have little or no practical application. This (reportedly) generates a couple of hundred times as much thrust as the theoretical limit for a photon drive. I.e. it's not just using the momentum of microwave photons.

>4chans meme powers are stronger than most others, for some reason i do not quite yet understand
Natural Selection/Evolution

Strong memes thrive here. Weak memes die out. Nowhere else on the internet is there such a strong evolutionary pressure.

>unidentified force pulling shit around
>nah guys its gravity, there is no identified force only dark matter
>k
>unidentified force accelerating the expansion of the universe despite gravity
>uuuhhh, not a new force guys, its uuhhh... DARK ENERGY
>force measured on EM drive produced by unknown mechanism
>HOW DARE YOU, OUR PHYSICS MODEL IS INFALLIBLE
>MUH 3RD LAW

No Newtons third law states that this is impossible.

Any object that does not have an external force pushing on it cant possibly experience thrust in any direction.

>No Newtons third law states that this is impossible.

What if Newton's third law is wrong?

or it is and the theory is wrong

what if there is always an external force being applied?

perhaps a... 'Dark' force

>tfw everyone was a psyker all along

>What if Newton's third law is wrong?
I have no Idea. Something between mass suicides of physicist and Space colonies.

I think you just earned yourself a nobel price in Physics.

>I think you just earned yourself a nobel price in Physics.

it'll just turn out that it's gravity though one day, even if they call it dark force

LUKE NO!

I fucking hate it when people who have obviously no clue what they are talking about just throw in useless arguments like "mabe u r wrong???". What should be wrong here? That we underestimate photon momentum by a factor of 360? All those years we did that and we just haven't noticed until now? Are you stupid?

Why do physics autists get so upset about being wrong?

Is it because autismal people create this arbitrary 'rules' in their mind, and physics was a gloabally accepted set of arbitrary rules, and to upset the rules would be to be like throwing a table of chicken mcnuggets on the floor and spilling all the chocolate milk?

Pretty much. There hasn't been a revolution in physics since the days of QM. So physics has become ossified like it was canon.
The appeareance of the memedrive is like throwing a spanner in the works, it's quite amusing seeing the reaction from physicists.

It's not really about being "wrong" (which is not really a thing considering how well everything worked out so far), it's about completely clueless people with some vague anti-intellectual mindset pop up and pretend like this here has anything to do with their bullshit. They think just because a tiny bit of evidence for new physics showed up, every single one of their conspiracy /x/-tier """theories""" is now worth looking at.

think you're making quite a few assumptions there mr hot pocket stain

noone brought up /x/ except you

if you don't know anything about physics, then don't talk about physics

>strawman

Something like that. "Science advances one funeral at a time" (Max Planck) because of emotional and tenured investment in the sacred status quo. Nothing new can come after our text books of revelation, ever. Especially no experiments not based on consensus theory.

more like an appeal to authority

>We gave autists a game to play and called it a science and when we changed the rules they flipped the table over and swore never to play again

This kind of shit happens all the time. People invented radios and electricity before anyone knew about electrons and shit.

Face it, scientists, you'll always be cucked by engineers with only half an idea of what they're doing!

i think the point is that physics is OBVIOUSLY no longer applicable

>dark propulsion
lol, you fags deserve that though.

>dark" is a meme word used by scientists to explain anything they can't directly observe.
rather it's a word they use to describe things they absolutely don't understand while pretending that they do to they seem like "totally competent, super smart scientists".

>implying dark matter is matter
"extra gravity" or "missing mass" just didn't seem sexy.

Now they get to spend the next several decades spending shitloads of money looking for matter that doesn't exist until they retire and not give a shit anymore.

That's exactly what's going to happen because there is no "dark matter". It's just ignorance and a pigheaded attempt to cover that ignorance up.

This is truth.

This is also truth

So basically all of Veeky Forums ?

It's interesting that the most ignorant people are always the first ones to accuse other people of ignorance. You probably have no idea about the evidence dark matter has, yet you still feel entitled to judge everyone.

>memedrive is the saviour we all wanted
>physicists then go on to redefine gravity and newtons 3rd law

we where write all a long guys heh

Well Newton obviously wasn't aware of the vacuum energy and things like the uncertainty principle.

So if this works then interstellar travel within our lifetimes become a possibility?

We Intersolar not stellar user.

97% of all galactic SCIENTISTS agree that EMDrive utilising DARK MOMENTUM is the leading cause of Universal expansion. Electing Drumpf as the president of galaxy is a grave MISTAKE. Drumpf believes that Betelgeusians conjured up Universal expansion to hurt our trade! The AlphaCenturai expansion deal is in tatters, as we speak. It's time we abandon DARKNESS and embrace BRIGHT energies.

Why can't they make cars that are powered by dark energy and stop global warming?

To make 1 pound of dark energy requires the release of 1 gorillion inches of CO2 into the atmosphere

Pepe is simply a manifestation of the collective consciousness of humanity, which through sheer volume of directed thought, enabled by instantaneous information exchange, is able to effect and interact with the physical world.

Now all we need is for someone to develop a robust model of how this stream of thought interacts with matter. I propose dark photons and reticulating splines.

I thought dark matter was called dark because it doesn't interact with the electromagnetic force.

In Star Trek they used Impulse Engines and Warp Engines. This is the Impulse Engine.

But of course they didn't use anything really.

Sorry friendo, but /arguments that sound good to twelve year olds and brain damaged hippies/ is over that way.

my kind of joke 'theory', (not realy since its untestable), was always that the only law of the universe is that consciousness creates it, which ever opinion is the strongest gets manifested in the world, phisics, chemistry and all of scince only works because so many strong minds balieve in it. This explains why so many theoretical things get discovered, Enough strong minds balieve in the higgs boson, then it becomes real. The gods realy did make man 6 thousand years ago, but the thoughts of man was able to drive them away, and we changed the past by balieveing in things like evolution, and geology, so now it looks exacvtly as if our theories are corect and tghe worls is bilkions of years old. I was so excited when meme magic became a thing since this model exactly fits it, by having enough people think the same thing using a pepe to chanal that energy we can change the universe into anything.

My vision of the future is large chambers of people on life support meditating on the same idea to make it reality, imagine 2 countries each with these chambers trying to erase the other one from existence. Some with strong minds might get upducted by the Illuminati and put in secret chambers where they are try to mold the world into their own. This is why projects such as MK Ultra were made, to get large amounts ofd people to think the same thoughts unconsciously and give the goverment the ability to inject ides into people to change reality.

Ive spend a lot more time than is healthy developing this.

t. autistic physicist who cant stand the fact that he might be wrong

The end is nigh - one way or another.

So this thing has now passed the peer review milestone and the shitposters at Veeky Forums still have to pretend it's fake.

What will you say when they launch one into orbit and it works there too?

Oh yeah, nothing.

more like dank propulsion amirite?

Review by engineers with no relevant expertise is not peer review. They couldn't get it published in a real physics journal. Also if you actually read the paper you'll see they did not account fully for thermal effects and their pilot wave hypothesis is a bunch of speculative nonsense.

Did you have a stroke while writing this?

Can memedrive be explained with pilot wave theory?

Could it not be that newton was simply mistaken?

I'd be over the moon (possibly literally) if it works.

Surprisingly, the angry opinions of people on malaysian tennis enthusiast forums aren't representative of majority scientific consensus. Weird.

youtu.be/TttHkDRuyZw

This video explains why it can work, why Einsteinian physics has pushed out Electrical engineering as the dominant model, and that the Nazis had already figured a good deal of it out in their time.

then god would exist and the earth would be flat

I know Veeky Forums has posters with strong scientific backgrounds. I've seen the threads.

My question is, is the tenor and content of posts on this topic a function of (a) the subject matter, which inherently attracts nuts and cretins, (b) the normie invasion thanks to /pol/, or (c) some combination of (a) and (b), or (d) something else.

Will it be possible to travel faster than light with this? Or is it useless?

They have no evidence that it's "matter". It's mass or gravity two things that are poorly understood.

Different minds have different strengths, and balieve is not binary. Enough people with strong enough minds believed hard enough that the earth is round and god does not appear all the time to flip it from flat to round some time in the past.

Elementary lesson -

This is Veeky Forums. We talk about science. Science is a method of providing knowledge about the world which is *independent* of what you want to be true - it's what is actually true.

Therein lies the rub, of course. Finding out what is and isn't true. Towards this end some disciplines have evolved which, while not perfect, have done a pretty amazing job in giving us antibiotics, GPS, Veeky Forums, pictures of Pluto, and so on. This is rational empiricism and associated methodologies. They've been so colossally successful as a group that every religion, cult, and basement dimwit feels obligated to steal some of that credit by throwing the word "science" in to their spiels.

But I digress. The point I wanted to make is that science isn't going "Hey, maybe this is true! Because it seems like it should be!". It's taking the next step and thinking "How can I tell if what I think is true, or if I'm full of shit?" and then trying as hard as you can to prove that you're actually full of shit and that all those lovely notions in your head were fairy stories. You have to be willing and able to kill your favorite ideas.

That's one of the reasons people sometimes find scientists frustrating to talk to - they keep poking holes in ideas. But that's the discipline, that's what they are trained to do, and they do it to themselves as well. Because only by working as hard as you can to *disprove* things do you have any hope at all of seeing what stands up no matter how much you throw at it.

End of rant. Just felt like somebody should try to clarify what does and doesn't constitute science, here on, you know, Veeky Forums.

Point being everyone who is trying to kill the meme drive is doing god's work. If it can stand up to their attacks, maybe it's real and that would be a Good Thing. Implement Rule 11.

Should just call it magic.

>pic
>crashing diamonds made of car into bricks made of walls

I understood that reference.

Eh, we'll see. I just hope the thing has enough power to actually keep itself up if it does work.

Let's say this thing does work,and that Shawyer's claims that he's working on a much more efficient version that could produce hundreds of pounds of thrust per kilowatt actually pays off. How insanely fast will space be conquered at that point? Will we have asteroid mining up and running with a decade or two? Could the first interstellar probe leave earth by the middle 2020s?

You're overlooking that a reactionlesd thruster with that efficiency could be used to create free energy easily. Space travel is nothing.

Anything can be explained by magic unobservable forces.

It doesn't work, so its going to be called NO propulsion.

you realize that star trek was US psyops to condition the population towards accepting the truth about the profound advances we had made, and which would be leaked over time, based on first contact during the 50s, right?

not even /x/, man. everything on star trek heralds the future of technology

>free energy
dude you have to put energy into it you fucking mong

this is in reality true.

more things have been invented by arranging various objects and forces in 'some way that looks sweet' than have been invented by 'scientists'. scientists today do fuck all.

this is just how shit gets discovered. by random, curious, intuitive fucking around.

scientists have become arrogant and retarded.

Are you that guy from /k/?

3/10 because someone will reply seriously

Wow you're so smart. Free just means you get more energy than you put in, moron.

Would a reactionless drive reduce the cost of space flight enough to make it readily available like air travel is now? If the EM Drive is legit will I go on a space vacation around the moon in ten years for the price of a plane ticket to Europe? What uses on Earth would it have?

We will have mostly autonomous asteroid mining within two decades sheerly out of necessity and regardless of propulsion method.

newtons third law is wrong.

back to the fucking drawing board.

It would make the cost 0 since it would be a free energy device and create a utopian society where nothing costs anything.

So like coal, and nuclear, and every type of energy production we use today?

>Fusion reactor + EM Drive :^)

gommunism achieved :DDDD

Turns out Photons are dark energy, and it was light all along that people took for granted.

> Would a reactionless drive reduce the cost of space flight enough to make it readily available like air travel is now?
Nope. Thrust is around a millinewton per kW. It's only useful in situations where very small amounts of thrust are useful, i.e. not for getting into orbit in the first place.

If anything is going to substantially reduce the cost to orbit in the near future, it will probably be air-breathing rockets.