Homemade salsa is a meme. There is NO WAY you can make it cheaper than just buying a bottle...

Homemade salsa is a meme. There is NO WAY you can make it cheaper than just buying a bottle. And the difference between homemade and a good bottle of salsa is minor. Prove me wrong. Salsa is one of the few things you're better off not making yourself.

Raw salsa is not available commercially in most places, and it has a better texture than cooked.

What if you grow your own tomatoes.

depends on the salsa you tard

if I want a smooth sauce, then yea ill buy from the store

but if I go chunky? you bet your ass its fresh. I don't want soggy bullshit all up in my grill. Salsa verde can be bought from a store decently, but it generally gets more smoky if you cook it yourself.

but yea if you go out and buy fucking Tostitos chunky discharge sauce you should shove the jar up your ass and break it

I can never make a good homemade salsa
tips?

Publix makes the best salsa. prove me wrong

Grill our salsa ingredients yourself and then tell me jarred is just the same.

Pic related, grill roasted veggie quesadillas with grill roasted salsa

i just enjoy making it myself, im not poor so i dont have to worry about wasting the extra money either

What is a good brand of salsa to buy at maybe Kroger/QFC, Safeway, or Whole Foods?

About six tomatoes, score an x on the bottom, place in boiling H2O for thirty seconds, cool, remove skin, dice

Char about half a dozen serrano chiles, either over a gas flame, on the grill, under the broiler, but WATCH THEM, you want the skin to char and not more than that. Cool, peel under running H2O, open w chef's knife, scrape out membranes and seeds, dice fine

Dice a red onion

Add a bit of cumin, salt, cayenne, maybe some garlic

Dice a bunch of cilantro

Mix it all up

I defy you to find any salsa that's better than homemade salsa

you posted of photo of salsa you can't even buy.. also all salsa from the store has a weird fucking taste to it.

that looks like fucking garbage
nice dubs tho

Boy, you don't have your head on right.

It's not about making it cheaper.
It's about making it better.

Fresh will always be better regarding almost every food except ketchup.

Fresh salsa or pico is great, but labor intensive.

>muh home made
Yeah if you make a difference type of salsa, specific to your taste you would like it more than a store bought salsa. All things being equal you would not taste the difference between homemade and store bought if blind folded.

You need two tomatoes, a small onion, a Serrano, cilantro and a lime. Where I live that's under a dollar. If you raise tomatoes, peppers, and cilantro you're just buying an onion.

All store bought salsas use cooked tomatoes. You should try making your own with tomatoes scorched over a grill but not cooked through, same for whatever chile you're using.

Mexican here. Make sure you sear every thing. For a runny red salsa I use 4 tomatoes, half an onion, two garlic cloves, and one dried pepper also known as Chile de árbol. Everything needs to be seared in order to get that smokey flavor. You can run the salsa through a small siv to get rid of some of the charred bits.

The annoying thing about store-bought salsa is how damn salty it is.

Newman's Own is the least salty I've found but it's still too salty.

1lb tomatillos, 4 serranos, a couple cloves of garlic costs like $1:50

roast then blend, and wa la, salsa verde for cheap

>raise tomatoes

how much to tomato clothes and schoolbags cost

You're a retard because 1lb of tomatoes or tomatillos is at least $2 by itself.

>salty

Here's the thing, you DO NOT want to add salt to your salad because you're probably going to be serving it with salted tortilla chips, right? You can always add salt to something but it's a bitch to REMOVE salt from a dish...

not in Wisconsin

I bet you live in San Francisco you cuck

It's annoying how hard it is to get unsalted tortilla chips too. Meijer has about 75 different tortilla chips and only 1 is unsalted and they are always sold out.

see

Is it better to have fresh pico de gallo, or does letting it sit in the fridge make it better?

I mean, you're not wrong, I doubt I can make it cheaper, but that's true of almost all commercial products these days. As far as quality, that entirely depends on the type of salsa you want. If you want some shit for a party for 100 people, fuck yeah I'm buying the most generic salsa to please the most people. But if it's a small amount of people or just myself, I want to make the salsa I want to eat and the difference is HUGE.

>buying unsalted tortilla chips

the fuck is wrong with you?

I don't like that much salt pham.

Not same poster, but I literally don't get this. You want unsalted tortilla chips? So just fried tortillas? Why are you buying tortilla chips, just get tortillas and fry them... Am I just too high or am I missing something here?

freshly cut red onion, tomato and cilantro cant be bought

Have you every had fresh made salsa? Jarred cooked salsa doesn't compare to fresh crisp ingredients. Jar salsa is only good for making chili and having around in case you don't have time to make your own for nachos.

HALP NEED AN ANSWER!

chopping shit up takes like 2 min get better knife skills

lmfao @ this entirely dumb bitch

this may be hard for you to understand, OP, but I enjoy the experience of cooking (I know, what a maverick I am for saying something like that on the "Food & Cooking" board)

t. Chevy's owner

I think it's best after sitting at room temp for about 30 minutes. Refridgerating the tomatoes drastically deteriorates their texture, imho.

Homemade cooked salsa like what comes out of a bottle is easy. In a tiny amount of oil fry a little onion and fresh green chili. Add cumin and garlic. Add crushed tomatoes and salt. If you like it thick add a little tomato paste. To finish add a little vinegar, sugar and cilantro. You just beat most jarred salsas for less than half the price.

That is probably the second most retarded thing I've read on here today. Making your own salsa at home is cheap and easy. not to mention it tastes ridiculously better.

How do the Tex Mex places make such good salsa?

I KNOW they aren't doing anything fancy because they give away gallons and gallons for free

>homemade salsa is a meme
Probably the most fucking stupid statement posted here today so far.
Retard.

Any condiment bought in a bottle is processed and therefore literally cancerous

Poor quality bait.

No way to "prove you wrong" because you have utter shit taste.

The vest salsa is made with oven roasted, ripe, homegrown late season tomatoes and lots of cilantro, red onion, garlic and lime. Get rid of skins, season, blend. No store bought bs can ever compete.

>Salsa
Dumb americans, that's a salpicon.

Gringos really look weird when talking about """mexican""" """food"""

Not even I am that butthurt and I have being building the wall for the entire day

Stop buying your shit at Safeway and go to a Mexican supermarket

>boiling H2O
are you mad? That's produce mustard gas!

Put them through tomato college

>shit salsa
>shit bread
>shit fillers

try again

Run Salsa run, Littlefinger wants to fuck you

>It's annoying how hard it is to get unsalted tortilla chips too. Meijer has about 75 different tortilla chips and only 1 is unsalted and they are always sold out.
Buy tostadas in the stack bags. They sell "baked" which actually taste the most like homemade. Break in half, break in quarters, and there ya go. There's a good way to get unsalted. It's not a big trial to make your own chips from corn tortillas either. It's not fast, but it's easy.

>bottle

as long as it's in the refrigerated section in a plastic tub odds are it's not terrible. The jarred stuff is almost always gross

It's hard to give recommendations since a lot of the time the fresh salsa selection is very regional. My grocery stores stock theirs from a small-ish local mexican market, pic related