Post lesser read books that are still Veeky Forumstier

/mu/ loves to go on and on about "underground" hits that still have artistic merit. But we never do the same for books, until this thread.

I can make two suggestions for occult literature which nonetheless are stellar exercises in poetic prose: Yeats's A Vision and Thomas Browne's Urn-Burial.

there have been a few threads like this before, actually. Some user in one of them recommended Ferdydurke and Insatiability. And now that I've read them I have to agree -- both, despite being relatively unknown, are excellent.

Grendel by John gardener

Denis Johnson - Angels

One of the best novels ever. But might not be underground since I think DFW hyped it.

Was gonna rec T Browne

Excellent novel

lesser read books? Ulysses.

Both of those sound very good.

anyone here read any krzhizhanovsky? picked up memories of the future recently and looking forward to starting it

Zweig

I think the least-read books on this board are probably Ulysses, Gravity's Rainbow, and Infinite Jest.

i grabbed that same novel, and i'm pondering whether i should take a break from rabelais and read it as well. i'll probably wait though. i have so much on backlog.

Hows Rabelais? What translation are you reading?

I almost never see Didion posted about on this board. Read Slouching Towards Bethlehem a few weeks ago and it was pretty good desu

Who is that contemporary American author that writes dense experimental novels under a pseudonym? Assumed to be male.

The Horse's Mouth
Joyce Cary

Christopher Morley's familiar essays are the comfiest thing this side of Chesterton

I've only seen it mentioned on here once but Call It Sleep by Henry Roth is an amazing work.

Thomas Pynchon

Denton Welch never gets a mention so here it is

Read some Danilo Kis you pleb motherfuckers

Got damn, i wish i could find a copy of A Tomb For Boris Davidovich

That memer Roberto Pinchas?

Definitely continue reading Didion. Miami is one of a handful of books I can safely say are my favourites.

>I'm a writer
>"Excuse me for saying, boss, but you look it hahahahah

Oh God I love this book

Ivanhoe is a comfy read.

Denis with one "n" is pretty well known in the MFA world, which is a lot bigger than Veeky Forums. Still not mainstream, but I wouldn't call it underground.

if you're going occult add Merrill's book of Ephraim

John Berger's To the Wedding is pretty damn good, and seems relatively forgotten in the world at large.

MY DIARY HEHE IM SO FUNNY

I don't know if it's really neglected, but 'How German is It' by Walter Abish comes to mind.

I think that anyone who enjoyed Stoner would also enjoy A Single Man.

Any novel by kawabata, or most of Japanese literature really (except for Murakami)

stfu faggot

Miss Lonelyhearts is the book I most wish I had written. Super short read and also usually comes packed with another of West's novellas.

Everyone should read it.

>Miss Lonelyhearts is the book I most wish I had written.
Just started reading this last night, actually. It's so short I know I should have finished it, but my motivation was undercut by how crap the beginning is.

Vollman since his real identity is female

how is Lucky Jim?

Malcom Lowry's Under The Volcano.

I am reading it right now, but it feels great.

>one of the most popular works of Scottish literature
>lesser read

James Paterson.

Did you read the thread topic?

Overpriced on amazon, but I saw copies on abe for pretty cheap.

The Quest for Christa T. by Christa Wolf

Not that unknown for germans but i haven't seen it mentioned once on this place and didn't see it mentioned anywhere else.

>Christa T. is a fictionalized character in Wolf’s novella The Quest for Christa T. but, as such, she is also the author's mirroring alter-self defiantly challenging and mourning her post-Hitler Germany, a place where the Stasi's Communism replaced Nazism, offering nothing but another oppressive tyranny of State vs. the individual. Living loudly and unashamedly in open rebellion, the character, Christa T. is presented as both an enigma and heroine against the political extremes and history of a divided, half-destroyed post-World War II Germany. The author stands as witness to this great shift in history, from Nazism to a Communist dictatorship – the world changing into a different place after “a bomb, a speech and a rifle shot” – and Wolf’s alter-self, the fictional Christa T., embodies the question: “...then where is the self?”

The satire is as pointed as it was back then but it is still pretty funny.

Angels was good, I liked Train Dreams and Jesus' Son more though.

excellent

I enjoyed the following:
Journey by Moonlight-Szerb
Metropole-Karinthy
War With the Newts-Capek
Petersburg-Andrei Bely

Why is Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh never included in the Veeky Forums canon?

Evan dara

Because we appreciate Hubert Selby Jr more.

>Joseph "Something Happened" Heller

Henry Fielding's Tom Jones never seems to be brought up, but is probably one of my favorite books. It's unbelievably funny, and searingly honest.

>we

I wish there was more mexican literature translated. we have some really great writters and poets outside of the "canon" or the classics, many of them still active

>Not being fluent in 6+ languages in the year 2016

If you can't speak at least all of the romantic languages at this point you're done for.

Your English seems fairly decent. Translate them and leave an actual literary legacy, unlike the rest of Veeky Forums.

>all of the romantic languages at this point you're done for.

Easier said than done when you don't speak any of them natively.

He's not only unknown he's also mind-fuckingly good. He out-did IJ like 4 years before IJ was written (as far as being the best book of the 90s).

He may well be the best, most patrician, unknown novelist living today. you'd think hipsters would be all over him

>learning Romanian

would you say the lost scrapbook is his best? I found it better than Easy Chain and i didn't read Flee

lost scrapbook is best, easy chain is almost just as good but it isn't heartbreaking the way scrapbook/flee are. Flee is very very good but not great, except for a long section about a guy named Marcus

Are Dara's books harder than Pynchon and DFW

Zepplin comming down, by william lawson.

Actually that's not a bad idea, I'd be willing to do it but I'm not sure if I've got enough spare time to do so in a regular basis but I might as well try...
I used to work in translations anyway

lol more like programming languages

Is this good? Is West good in general? For some reason, I always thought she and Daphne du Maurier were the same person.

Based

no

Also Henry Green's works.

> tfw you realize all your favorite books are memes

maybe pale fire?

Are you sure? I've been eyeing this, The Return of the Soldier and The Black Lamb and Gray Falcon at my local bookshop for years now but never pulled the trigger.

Real.
Nigga.
Book.

The Factory Series by Derek Raymond
Anything by Iain Sinclair
Robinson by Chris Petit
The Unfortunates by B.S. Johnson
Light by Eva Figes
Berg by Ann Quin
Journey Through a Small Planet by Emanuel Litvinoff

British writers are most often overlooked

Oh, and Jonathan Meades. If you think Will Self isn't erudite enough, Meades will blow you away.

anyone read this?

Petrarch and Most the Italian humanists. Theyre almost all forgotten aside from scholars studying them still but I think it's Harvard and Italia press who does a great job in keeping the Italian writing alive.

1500s-1600s largely is a forgotten era now for the Italian lit scene aside from Dante and a few others. I would think anyone a patrician for reading some of those books.

decked by robert walt

dante was born in the 1200's

martin amis should be beloved by Veeky Forums, hes a narcissistic misogynist stylist, sometime borderline racist.

Fuck off, orpheus.

>Dystopian fiction