Name one single atheist writer who didn't end up embracing at least a grudging, tentative theism before he died...

Name one single atheist writer who didn't end up embracing at least a grudging, tentative theism before he died. you can't

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_attack
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

me

because i'm killing myself tomorrow

CS Lewis

the accusations of a death bed confession is an embarassment to christianity, showing it's real, base nature

kek

What's that supposed to even mean?

Hitchens

Schopenhauer

Reminder that Hitchens' throat cancer was probably punishment from God. Not all cancer is, but that one probably was.

Or it could be the fact he smoked like a chimney his entire fucking life

If god intervenes in petty shit like that, then how come little Christian kids still get raped and murdered?

Where was God when Mao and Stalin killed millions in the name of atheism?

God is edgy af. Have you even read the old testament?

Blasphemy is incredibly serious, user, it's not petty at all. It used to be one of the worst things you could do. Perhaps God still sees it that way.

Are you fucking dumb?

Probably had evil in their heart.

Douglas adams.

I laughed

Karl Marx

Christopher Hitchens

>in the name of atheism

*citation needed*

god's gay fite me

Not OP, but its supposed to mean that almost noone dies in the adult age or older being an atheist.

Karl Marx, Arthur C. Clarke, Bertrand Russell, Primo Levi, Virginia Woolf, Kurt Vonnegut, Robert Louis Stevenson, Gore Vidal, William Morris, George Bernard Shaw, Maurice Sendak, José Saramago, Ayn Rand, Kingsley Amis, Antonin Artuad, Issac Asimov, J.G. Ballard, Wilfred Scawen Blunt, Bertolt Brecht, Marcel Proust, Terry Prachett, Harold Pinter, Iris Murdoch, Arthur Miller, W. Somerset Maugham, H.P. Lovecraft, Jack London, Ursula K. LeGuin, Philip Larkin, Franz Kafka, Henrik Ibsen, Joseph Conrad, Douglas Adams, Robert Graves, Anton Chekov, Germaine Greer, Italo Calvino, Charles Bukowski, Albert Camus, John Fowles, E. M. Forrester, Andre Breton, George Eliot, Marquis de Sade, James Baldwin.

Is that enough for your deluded holy ass, OP?

I like it how half of those are boring mediocrities.

Voltaire.

Yeah, yeah, and the other half are fucking gods. The dare was just to name an unrepentant atheist writer. I named dozens of canonical ones.

Gadly. Bastard didn't deserve the the gift of faith.

Nietzsche

nope

>taking anything he said after his collapse seriously
its just bantz

Nietzsche embraced Christianity after his collapse?

it was just a prank, bro!

Nietzsche.
>inb4 Nietzsche wasn't a writer
Well he sure as hell wasn't a philosopher.

>Jesus was actually the very first atheist
>in his final moments, he finally realized the ultimate truth, which is that God doesn't exist
>hfw

Conrad is the only good writer on there and he was delivered last rites

>only

kant

This 2bh

I really hate to pile on here--especially as a theist, my position is biased, I'm sure you could make a list of facile religious authors, etc--but this list has maybe 6 great writers on it. Cmon, I'm sure you can find better.

On a side note, does anyone know that image with theist writers on one side and atheists on the other? I remember it having a more even showing.

Kant was an observant Lutheran

Shakespeare, Descartes, Kierkegaard... the list goes on.

A secret Catholic, a Catholic, and a Lutheran

>a conspiracy theory, a convenient lie, and illiteracy

Schopenhauer was not a materialist. He could be classified as a radical Gnostic, i.e. the world is a terrorium made by the Demiurge.

Also, Hitchens' Atheism was mostly a day job. Kinda like Silverstein's Dice Clay persona.

Genuinely interested. How do you know that Shakespeare was an atheist? From what I can find Shakespeare was "a conforming member of the established Anglican Church" while some people speculate that he was actually a secret Catholic or an atheist. How are you so certain that Shakespeare was an atheist?

>How
Having experienced King Lear's depiction of a godless world is how enough. Meanwhile, there is little that could argue towards the other direction in his own work.

I've never read King Lear, but I'll get right on it. I wonder why you think Shakespeare's ability to depict a godless world necessitates him being an atheist though.

Voltaire

hello Chris, how's hell?

how can you say that kierkegaard was athiest

I don't think King Lear indicates that Shakespeare was an atheist. Besides, the point isn't to prove whether or not he was a true believer, just whether or he accepted some form of theism.

It doesn't, but the fact that he was willing to paint a godless world without blinking (that is: without exploiting the potential to suggest it is different from ours) is the weightiest and most thematically integrated of the many hints of atheism - hints which, note, he does not relegate to his vilain's and wailing victim's lines - in a time when it had barely begun to creep into a notion people were enough conscious of to villify. Now the fact that this man, not little learned, who had a concern for intense emotion beyond the ease of his skill and the needs of drama, who sought to etch man's face in front of Nature, of the abstract, far beyond the habits of literary convention, the fact that this man had a remarkable lack of interest in portraying any sort of transcendental religious experience - this speaks very heavily against his having been any genuine sort of theist, and doubly so a Catholic.

>Henrik Ibsen
ouch

Instead of pleading to god, this guy (absolute madman) did psychedelic drugs on his deathbed, basically making his death an experiment on the fleeting moments of consciousness and also basically making whatever trip you go through as you die 100 times more intense.

I am not sure if he was Atheist or Agnostic though.

>using other people's achievements to make yourself feel justified in your belief/lack of belief in a magic man in the sky

Seriously consider suicide

so a coward druggie

Do you drooling pompous children really think I'm going to waste my fucking time trying to find "better" examples than that fucking list? You're out of your tiny little minds if you think there's only a half-dozen great writers named there. OP's bullshit assertion boils down to "Gosh, in the Western literature tradition, when most people were religious, most writers were too." Go read a book, kids.

>Being mad about the guy that wanted to abolish what basically was slavery

I've never heard it before, but I woudln't be *totally* shocked. The guy had some supreme neurosyphilis at the end and was certifiably insane. Can't really blame him for weird shit he might have said.

Psychedelics aren't really for cowards breh.

>The force of mind is only as great as its expression; its depth only as deep as its power to expand and lose itself when spending and giving out its substance. Moreover, when this unreflective emotional knowledge makes a pretense of having immersed its own very self in the depths of the absolute Being, and of philosophizing in all holiness and truth, it hides from itself the fact that instead of devotion to God, it rather, by this contempt for all measurable precision and definiteness, simply attests in its own case the fortuitous character of its content, and in the other endows God with its own caprice. When such minds commit themselves to the unrestrained ferment of sheer emotion, they think that, by putting a veil over self-consciousness, and surrendering all understanding, they are thus God’s beloved ones to whom He gives His wisdom in sleep. This is the reason, too, that in point of fact, what they do conceive and bring forth in sleep is dreams.

Sheltered: The Post

i like drugs, i just find it funny that people brag about dying the easy way

>Kierkegaard
>atheist
how retarded are you user?

What you just said is ridiculous.

It comes from the recognition that there must be something beyond what we experience (the universe). Which has been suggested to exist by science (the multiverse/the incoherent, unknowable quantum soup from which universes like ours emerge). But this does not mean we are the outcome of an ordered decision by something similarly ordered. It could just as well be the outcome of random chance and infinite possibility that it affords. There are likely as many (if not infinite) universes that do not possess the principles that allow sentient beings, like us, to exist. Such a scenario does not require a creator, but is the next best, most plausible thing.

it is not

There is so much samefagging in this thread it's unreal. Is that you God, have you used your omnipresence to shitpost on Veeky Forums?

>I see that you provided examples but I still wanna be right so I'm gonna shit on all of them.

>implying it isn't still slavery

Good worker.

me tbqh

>I am not sure if he was Atheist or Agnostic though.

Are you fucking dense, or have you just never read Huxley. He was neither. He wrote The Perennial Philosophy which came to be a cornerstone in modern Perennialism.

Martin Luther.

Ayn Rand was an athiest?

God is gay

she worshipped money

Kerouac

>death not being the end of Chris Hitchens commenting on every fucking thing like a twat
We should know, we're clearly in hell right now.

He was never an atheist, just a bad writer

rekt

checkèd

>kwints
chek'd n rek'd

Atheism is a symptom of autism

The challenge was to find one. He found six. Eat shit OP

Religiosity causes suicide murder.

Only certain ones, other ones condemn it. Plenty of non religious ideologies like bushido have also promoted suicide

The only secular group that has used suicide murder as a tactic was the Tamil Tigers.

Every single other case of it is caused by religion; specifically religions that have doctrines of martyrdom.

Individual lunatics go on murder sprees then off themselves often, its really not a religious thing. Even if it were thats not an argument against the religions that condemn suicide. You dont stop eating lettuce because potatoes are too starchy

Islam does, Christianity doesn't

>Individual lunatics go on murder sprees then off themselves often

Sure. Which is why it's interesting that so many people find religions that literally inculcate that same lunacy in their followers "good".

>Islam does, Christianity doesn't

Islam and Christianity are both religions that repudiate suicide. But that doesn't mean that they will not rationalize dying in the service of the religion by killing innocent people as righteous behavior.

Is this a quote or did you make this up? Pretty good post.

chekt

>suicide murder
?

The depiction of a godless world is hardly indicative of his atheism. In fact, the interpretation is often that it's a cautionary tale against godlessness.

I'm sure, friend, that your time is valuable--evidently valuable enough to pour invective upon us children.

In any case, I'm not really interested in defending op's position: I disagree with it entirely. Plenty of good writers--some of my favorites--are atheists.

If anything, it just embarrasses me to see so honorable a debate conducted at such a low level. I'm just trying to help out by asking if you--or anyone, as I think I said in my original post--knows of a list I've seen that proves your point better. Perhaps if you think your list is so momentous you could name the writers you consider great on it. To be clear the only 6 I see that are great are Virginia Woolf, Iris Murdoch, Conrad, Proust, Ibsen, and Chekhov--I notice Kafka too now, so that bumps you up to 7. I've never read Eliot, but people say she's great, so maybe 8 then. Camus I suppose has his moments, and I've enjoyed Calvino from time to time. As well, there's a couple I've never heard of. I probably should 'read a book,' as you say.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_attack

The Church thrives under persecution.

"Why have you forsaken me" isn't him actually meaning that. Back then, the psalms weren't numbered, so they said the first line of the psalm so everyone knew what they were referring to. The psalm that Jesus is referencing here is psalm 22 which is literally makes refernce to being nailed and his garments being divided. He was warning the pharisees one last time of what they were doing.

>Theological flap doodle