Is it worth buying a rice cooker?

I eat quite a lot of rice but I've never had a rice cooker. Is it worth investing in one? I'm only cooking for myself.

Other urls found in this thread:

aldi.ie/ambiano-rice-cooker/p/074788101779100
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's definitely worth it. They're usually pretty small, and it allows you to cook rice elsewhere in the kitchen so you can free up space on your stovetop.

It's a novelty item. I say go for it, but you're not really gaining anything.

It sure is. Mine also has a slow cooker function.

Rice is easy as hell to make on the stovetop. Takes maybe 30 seconds of work and is ready in maybe 8-9 minutes. Jesus fuck why do all you people feel the need to have a rice cooker if you're just cooking for yourselves.

It clears the stovetop. You've never used all of your heating elements before? Are you making baby recipes are something?

I know how to make rice and have done it many times. I was just wondering if a rice cooker might make it faster or cut down on washing up.

I know how to plan properly, needing a device to hold your hand for the simplest task is just depressing, desu.

Hahahahaha what a fucking retard hahahahaha

If you already cook rice with what you have why would you buy another item?

No reason to waste the storage space or money.

It definitely cuts down on the amount of attention you need to give to your rice while it's cooking. The only downside, at least with my model, is that the grains of rice directly touching the bottom will get crispy and brown. Still easy to peel off and clean the bowl though.

Rice cookers are the fedora of the cooking world. Only stupid weebs and Asian halflings own them and use them.

Reason: convenience.

The convenience of easy cooking, not needing as much care or vigilance over the rice.

The convenience of excellent and consistent results with less effort.

The convenience of preparing more dishes simultaneously due to more stove top space.

The convenience of more precise controls over the result.

My time is more valuable than money.

I bet that's what your parents said.

You'll not want a rice cooker, then.
They take a fair bit longer than using a pot.

No, it doesn't you lying piece of shit. Especially since some models have the "quick" mode.

You fags will argue about anything

Cooking rice in a pot takes 10, 20 minutes, tops.
Using a rice cooker takes at least 35 minutes, and the brown rice setting takes two hours.

Yes, a rice cooker is worth the money. Buy good rice, too, like Bob's Red Mill rice.

Rinse until the runoff is no longer cloudy, then let it soak for at least 20 minutes. Makes a big difference.

If you can effortlessly cook rice in a pot, just stick to the pot. If you fuck it up regularly, go with the rice cooker.
It's not worth the counter space imo

>counter space

Good joke

Stick with take out of a crockpot if you can't trust yourself with a stove. You're saving the eighth of a second that it takes to reduce the heat from med-low to low once the pot starts steaming. Other than that it's just set and forget.
And if you're even a half competent home-cook you can plan ahead to not be needing 4 heating elements going 10-15 minutes before serving.

Holy shit nigger make your own decision. You want one get it, don't like it return or craigslist. Also, fuck rice. Cous cous master race.

Counter space? I have tons of that.

Space on the stove? That's often limited.

I'll take the trade-off any day.

Chink here. Having a rice cooker is extremely convenient for me and my family. We usually just make a few cups of rice in the morning and when we come back from school or work it's nice and ready for consumption. Only the poorest of Asians still cook rice with pots unless you are out camping or some shit.

goddamn, nip homes look so comfy for some reason.

t.guy who activates almonds

Spick here. Cool your rice on a stovetop and stop embarrassing your elders

>You've never used all of your heating elements before?
Honestly? I don't think I have, no. Whatever this elaborate meal you are cooking, that somehow requires rice on the side, is I assume you'd need plenty of counter space for prepping and a rice cooker takes some of that away. Why not just use the oven? Or are you using that as well?

That's a good way to get shit rice.

You exaggerate to drive your point home.

It's not about trusting yourself or not, but having the peace of mind of not even having to watch it so I perform that eight of a second action you described. You truly set and forget with a rice cooker.

It's not about using 4 elements at once, but it is much more comfortable and safe having just one in use because the rice is being cooked by itself elsewhere, maybe even right where it will be served and eaten.

If you only eat rice occasionally then you're better off using a pot. But if you eat it daily then yeah it's worth getting.

just get one OP. it sounds like you will definitely benefit from it since you eat rice a lot.

>cous cous

When I was in college my organic chemistry professor was this Vietnamese dude famous for working too much. He estimated he was cranking out 110-hour weeks on average. He had 3 offices on campus and used one exclusively for sleeping. I'm not even sure he had a place to live off-campus.

One day we were in lecture and he mentioned something about how much he worked and how we too should be working that hard, so a grad student tells him "Professor, you work too much. You should get a wife or a girlfriend" to which he replies "Why would I need a wife? I already have a rice cooker." Dude was a legend

So my answer is yes, get a rice cooker

The rice cooker takes 20 minutes. I don't know where you're getting 2 hours for brown rice from.

>is ready in maybe 8-9 minutes
Pretty sure he's talking about dried rice, not instant rice.

m8 are you having a giggle, couscous is great, especially if you fry it

My rice akways comes out a bit overcooked when i use a rice cooker, I prefer the stove.

>especially if you fry it
HOL UP

tell me your secrets

Not really. If you eat a lot fo rice then I assume you know how to make rice. Rice cookers are for idiots who can't use the stove.

Yeah, particularily asian models with good keep-warm functions. It's more convenient, consistent, and holds easier than having to cool and reheat (since you can hold mutiple meals of rice in the cooker instead of making a new batch each meal).

There's a reason professional kitchens that make a lot of rice use rice cookers and not stovetops. Don't listen to the poverty fags and retards, it's a good investment.

>There's a reason professional kitchens that make a lot of rice use rice cookers and not stovetops.
Yes and that reason is because they are making a lot. They have massive industrial rice cookers. You are not going to be using one fo those in your home cooking rice for yourself.

They're really convenient because you just throw rice in and forget about it until it dings.
But for the love of god get a good one, and ABSOLUTELY DO NOT get a glass top one. Those things should be fucking pressure locked.

>Don't listen to the poverty fags and retards, it's a good investment.
As if a rice cooker was an expensive gadget. Even the weeb wet dream zojirushi is just a few more dollars than a saucepan and you'd get just as good results with a $30-$40 rice cooker.

From the brown rice setting on my own cooker, obviously.
The only cookers that don't take upwards of half an hour are the garbage american ones that burn rice.

Once you buy a rice cooker you will never use anything else to cook rice, or care to.

>My rice akways comes out a bit overcooked when i use a rice cooker, I prefer the stove.

You realize it cooks it until the water is absorbed? So if you want it less cooked, add less water. The fill lines and instructions with rice in the US usually use too much water in my opinion, like they're for Amerifats who want to shovel mushy rice into their gullet without chewing.

One thing I like about the rice cooker is it switches to just keeping it warm when done. If I get distracted peeling vegetables, or want to play a video game for a bit while it cooks, it doesn't matter if I forget about it for a few minutes or even an hour.

Like this user said, the rice grains on the very bottom may brown and get a bit stuck to the bottom with a cheap rice cooker (their cooking-to-warming sensor is triggered when its temperature is above the boiling point of water, meaning all the water has been absorbed). So you lose a couple tablespoons of rice that way. Though you can avoid that if you're actually paying attention to it, either manually switching to warm manually as it nears completion, or adding a bit more water right when it automatically switches.

Rice cookers are cheap as shit though, and you can get small ones too.

This is one Depressing kitchen you got there mate. Im deeply sorry.

Aldi in Ireland are getting one in next week for 25eurofags.

Does it look alright? aldi.ie/ambiano-rice-cooker/p/074788101779100

I make rice probably twice a week using Gordon Ramsay's perfect basmati recipe. But there's always shit tonnes left over.

>But there's always shit tonnes left over.

You make it sound like that's a problem. Do you throw it out or something?

I'm Chinese. Every Chinese household I know has and uses it on the regular.

No, because you can get electric pressure cookers which have a rice cooker mode, and also let you cook dried beans in a reasonable time, and cook cheap cuts of meat and have them end up tender, all with the convenience of a rice cooker.

you can use it for other stuff too

I spent 100 dollars on a zojirushi and 8 years later its still really good

A shit rice cooker is not worth getting

A good one will cook rice better than a pot in less time.

i love my cheap piece of shit rice cooker personally, but that's largely because i'm a student and so i appreciate the ability to have rice made and kept hot for me in a way that requires zero attention

it would be more traditional to steam rice in a ceramic pot

stovetop is shit for rice