How many hours per day do you spend in the library Veeky Forums?

How many hours per day do you spend in the library Veeky Forums?

Me? At least six. Since quitting my full-time office job in the city I have slept in my car, showered at a local swimming pool and spent the majority of my day reading and writing at a local library. It's a fantastic life, I don't know why I didn't live this way sooner. Almost all of my focus and mental energy is now dedicated solely to the consumption and production of literature. I pay no rent or utilities. I buy cheap food and eat it where I can. Sometimes I attend a local soup kitchen, and on the weekends I attend a local market where free samples are so abundant that I easily gather enough food for at least two days of eating. I charge my laptop all day at the library and spend the evenings cozy and warm in my car using any nearby wifi available. I've modified my car so that the back seat and trunk now form an insulated bed and storage area. I had $35k in savings when I started living this way, and after five months I have only spent around $500. You wouldn't believe how relaxing it is to wake up and stroll down to the swimming pool, sometimes taking a swim but usually just showering and then strolling again down to the soup kitchen or straight to the library. Seeing the commuter traffic and the people rushing around to their positions of voluntary servitude makes me so sad. I often think about the fact that I too would be one of them had I not transcended the malicious and sadistic (not to mention masochistic) cultural ideology which pressures a person into sacrificing the majority of their life and contentment for the sake of some role that usually could be fulfilled within a few hours but usually lasts at least eight hours simply because of the stubborn and narrow-minded nature of those who inflict cultural ideology on the rest of the population.

Has anyone else here ever lived like this?

Truly it's a god-tier lifestyle. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Other urls found in this thread:

cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/seniors-care-home-surrey-1.3735013
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You're living the dream man. I don't have 35k in savings or a car so I have to slave away 2-3 days per week

You sound like a loser desu. Go get a job.

You know if have 35k in savings and a car, you're not really homeless. Try the real thing some time! I bet that swimming pool requires either a membership or you have to pay a daily fee.

Food is usually easy to obtain. It's when you don't have a place to sleep and when you're completely unable to shower or wash your clothes is when things start getting really fucked up.

have you been homeless? why?

How old are you? Which job?

Nice spook.

The swimming pool has two entrances / exits and inattentive staff, so I just enter through the open fire escape. They have never asked me for money.

i also have an incredible set up but am afraid to tell anyone about it

I was homeless for a whole year. Social services kept me entact but I did spend some nights outside. It was in a densely populated area so there was really nowhere to sleep. I usually tried to sleep behind churches.

To sleep outside, you need gear...a sleeping bag and a tarp or a small tent for when it rains. I didn't have any of that. Which made it pretty much impossible to get any decent sleep.

When you see a homeless person that's clearly been out on the street for a while, you can bet that that person is suffering acutely, both mentally and physically.

Not to bum you out though. Enjoy your freedom for a while but don't live that way for too long.

Ah bless you! Sounds wonderful, care to dhare any writing?

I'm pretty private when it comes to showing anybody my writing. But I guess I can share the first sentence of what is likely to be my first published novel:

>"Clementine realized, with a sort of laugh, that every joke she had recently heard had been told by herself, to herself, and at her own expense"

Some girl's going to get wet when she reads this.

...holy...i want more...

i've seen that sentence in this board so many times, usually with different names.

I'm 26, and I work at the local library interestingly enough.

Living the dream my friend.

I do have the luxury of living in a house with mummy, but I've been on the dole for about five years now I guess and after giving her some money each month for room and board I just save the rest.

I pirate what I can and get the rest of my books at the library and wear other people's old clothes. I've learned to be very frugal and if I ever get cut off by the government I have enough saved for a few more years of this lifestyle.

I generally just spend my time reading, writing and talking to other free folks like homeless and unemployed people and housewives and the elderly and basically just walking around in my happy rags and taking naps in the park and looking at the birds and stuff. Sometimes I take some bread and water and go spend the day loafing around in the woods by myself.

Being a comfy bum is a very underrated lifestyle.

I'm in the same boat, my question is, why aren't you seeing the world

Do you have a library degree?

Think its the same guy who keeps making 'literary' alt-lifestyle threads.

Last time I saw it was on the thread about making money self publishing on Amazon.

Travelling is hollow onanism for the bourgeoisie.

There's only one thing that's keeping your bohemian lifestyle comfy: the money.

No.

How did you get the job?

How many hours do you work?

What is your hourly wage?

How long have you worked there?

I applied when I was still studying literature at a good university, got hired and never quit. Around 20 hours per week. I get paid little over €6/h. Why?

you can make a couple hundred bux a day panhandling if you play your cards right

Which city?

Do you intend to work there forever?

Why are you asking these questions you sound like my mom.

What the fuck dude. Are you conducting a survey?

Panhandling like that is a job, though. Kind of runs against the spirit of what OP is doing.

Please answer. I am curious.

>€6/h

what country?

OP doesn't seem to have a smack habit though so he could manage with a few bucks every week.

The problem is,

what do you do when your car breaks down?
when your pc breaks and you can't write any more?

you have padding, but once you get down to 10-15k please find a source of income.

I say this as someone who tried to live "modestly" while not working. I had 20k in savings left and was spending under 200 a month until I had my car break down in the middle of a desert and my mother(last remaining parent) die in the same week, leaving me stuck with funeral costs and no meaningful inheritance to help absorb it. funeral, totaled car with only 10k left in my budget. I managed to find a Honda Civic that was six or seven year models old for 5k.

I ended up in the hole fast because I underestimated how much it was going to cost to "restart" my life. Getting back into a house, setting up to do a 9-5 again temporarily, etc. ended up sending me really, really scary close even though I had 20k in padding a few weeks earlier.

Creepy. If he tells you what city, it would be pretty easy to figure out his exact location with the details already given in this thread.

>worrying Veeky Forumsneets will harm you
beta as fuck

I had 30k in savings and I ended up blowing it all on hookers and living in motels because credit issues and too scared to rent a room in someone's house and then I became homeless and ended up going to another city and crashing at this shady church operation and then I had my mom bail me out.

I would just like to know why he wants to know these things.

>I had $35k in savings when I started living this way, and after five months I have only spent around $500

Investing that $35k could get you about $1750 a year in return. Seeing that you live on $1200 a year, you could keep doing this indefinitely.

>Buy gold
>sleep on gold bars
>always have a place to sleep
It's a full proof financial strategy

>full proof

It's not perfect but it's more sustainable than just running through his savings.

Oy ve, Schulmann, stop putzing on that message board site and get back to vork.

>work

I've outsourced that a long time ago m8

I'm 30 years old and never got a job. I live alone in a rented room and eat free at my public university that I'm matriculated in order only to eat. I have also a small quantity of money for the eventualities and receive a minimal wage from NEETbux.

I'm thinking if I should live a normal live, but it's to late. It will be better if I try to improve my peculiar life.

How are you living modestly if you do have a car?

I was living in my car. Van, actually. I had minor investments that were generating a persistent income capable of paying for gas and modest food.

Not trying to derail this guy's thread, I just wanted to leave a warning based on personal mistakes. It took me a year or so to recover from that. Life really, really sucked for a while.

should've gotten a tent instead of a car

Why not just put a tent inside a car?

That wouldn't really work out for someone starting a family, and I had no desire to do something like that when I was younger. Mostly because it means being around other people all day. I prefer privacy.

I did spend a good 4-5 hours in the library during university.

Most of my day is spent in my "personal library" at least. I have about 1,500 books in my office area (I work from home), so it still has that comfortable surrounded-by-books feeling.

>starting a family
Literally retarded if you're an aspiring artist, unless you're marrying a subsmissive qt who doesn't mind poverty.

>I work from home
*tips fedora*

How old are you?

I'm getting about 100k inheritance. I'm moving to a cheap as fuck place with a gym and a library. So excite.
Fuck this wagecuckery dod eat dog, regurgitate and swallow, put a smile on your face while plowed by huge guilt and shame dicks. fück äll that.

27, and I don't aspire to be an artist. Literature professor is my goal.

I mean "family" as in having kids. We've already been together eight years.

Sounds staid af my niqqa

My citys main library is filled with unemployed and old people and my nearest university library is filled with Chad / Stacey / normiescum.

If you want to live like a monk you might be able to get 20 years out of that 100k, but then what?

Memetastic.

Are you making plans for the next 20+ years? You don't worry about it, that's what.

Most people are making plans for their futures, yeah. That's what retirement funds, long-term bonds, careers instead of jobs, having children, etc. is about.

How did you get out of it?

>Are you making plans for the next 20+ years?

Yes. Aren't you?

0 hours. I buy all my books and store them on my shelves for whenever I want to read them.

The day you get a disease, need a lawyer, or accidentally impregnate somebody is the day you can go full hobo.

Lets suppose you get hit by a car. Lets suppose you trip on your way to the pool. Lets imagine with that cheap diet you eventually manage to lower your defenses and get sick. Lets imagine you need to pay those bills or buy medicine. Then you can go full hobo.

I don't think you realize that people make on average 20k - 50k a year before taxes so in 4 - 6 years that wagecuck has already made your money.

>living in a third world country that doesn't provide health care

el em eff a o oo oooooo

i wish there were no property taxes and i could just live on inherited land. i guess theres a reverse mortgage, but this is my clay. eh and growing food sounds like a huge time suck

If you live in America you don't have to become a hobo you can just get free medical insurance through your state more than likely.

Could always try to rent out a room in the house for a while to pay for property taxes/bills. Airbnb that shit if it's scenic.

>having children is a good investment for your future

In some countries, maybe not America. Usually the children are the ones who take care of you in old age, at least until you're unmanageable.

>leeching off your children instead of killing yourself

I spend at least 3 hours daily in the library. In that short but productive time I do homeworks, I read and I try to write. I'm a very vain human being so I wouldn't survive a week living the way you do. However I do feel somewhat envious of you. You must be making giant progress in your works and writtings, so cheers, you goddamned madman.

I don't get it. Sounds quite stoopid.

Wat. Most developed countries have a social net that provides for the elderly. It's absolute shit in some places (looking at you Eastern Europe) but it works alright in the west. If someone needs kids to take care of him, it's the 76 year old Yank 125k in debt because a doctor glanced at him on the street.

I think we're using different definitions of "take care of". I didn't mean monetarily, as I mentioned retirement accounts. I meant emotionally, physically and otherwise helping their parents continue living a fulfilling life. Sometimes that might involve moving in with/next door to them to make sure they don't get hurt, sometimes it might just mean driving them to the store because their eyes are getting bad.

OP needs at least a 100 replies, lads.

Where do you park your car to sleep? Like to avoid cops. (I'm under the impression it's illegal to sleep in your car if you're parked in certain places like residential streets.)

Where do you get your money from?

Does that make the car free or something?

Shine on you crazy diamond.

Fuck off normie. If you aren't contemplating suicide every day then please, stay off the internet.

3 and a half every day. One hour from 8 till 9, and two and a half hours from 4 till 6 30.

It's actually a pretty good first sentence. 'Clementine' is probable too precious a name, but the rest is interesting. It starts us out in the middle of something, a revelation of character "Clementine realized that ... recently... " and it's a pretty interesting one, one that promises to delve into the nature of self-deprecating humor. It's also not going to be one of those hunks of description of navel gazing novels you always see on Veeky Forums, because the girl is telling jokes, meaning she's social, meaning there's going to be actual other characters and dialogue.

I did basically this for 2 years. I ultimately had to give it up because I had dental problems and now I have debt.

OP you should look into camper living. You can live pretty comfortably one 500 - 1000 dollars a month from a camper.

You should get a part time job now and use that to save up and buy a smaller camper van. You can then dial back the hours and live basically on the income from the part time job. If you get the right one, you'll get some benefits and it'll help keep you from having any real problems.

>meaning she's social
But she's telling the joke to herself.

I'm working on a thesis about US foreign policy during the Angolan Civil War and why America didn't respond with the same zealousness as they did in Vietnam...

Between primary and secondary sources, I spend about 10 hours a week in the library

She hears the jokes, meaning she's speaking them, though she's talking to herself in her conversations with others. That implication is part of what makes the sentence interesting to me.

I talk to myself out loud every day.

If that's the meaning then it's a much less interesting novel. I mean, if you want to insist on the least interesting reading of the sentence you can.

Occam's razor, bro.

Occam's razor is a scientific principle, it doesn't apply to art, which is intentionally elaborate.

>le stem master race

It is not a scientific principle at all. It is a heuristic technique.

It still doesn't make sense applied to art because art isn't designed to adhere to the simplest interpretation. A given sentence is often intended to be heavily modified by its context, supressed or double meanings brought out, etc.

I picked the potential context for the admitted first sentence of a novel that made it good. I was operating to another hueristic principle, the principle of charity.

I'm having a hard time believing this. Post pic of your car bed, OP.

You're just jealous cause you're not making mad bank being a chemical engineer like me. I'll be improving society while you'll be reading your pretentious books pleb

>Wat. Most developed countries have a social net that provides for the elderly. It's absolute shit in some places (looking at you Eastern Europe) but it works alright in the west

What little you know of this world. Yes It's free but you get what you pay for. This elderly couple is being sent to separate homes after 62 years of marriage. They're fully aware of what's going on, and they're heartbroken. If you don't want to spend your last years in a shrieking bedlam you had better have some family to take care of you.

cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/seniors-care-home-surrey-1.3735013

Also don't sleep in your car OP.

redpilled again

epik

I wanna marry that butt

whats the point of spending your life in a library reading and writtign if you're going to make garbage like this?

>being this hostile and judgementative over a single sentence

You ok there kiddo?