So what is the consensus on marked down meats? I just bought pic related (3...

So what is the consensus on marked down meats? I just bought pic related (3.5 lbs) for under $7 which is a pretty sweet deal in my book. The "Sell By" date was Jan 21st so I figure I got about two days to finish all this.

On a side note, anyone know why it gets discolored? The exterior was less red than the other ground beef packages and also the interior has some discoloration in certain spots.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemoglobin
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I get them to freeze or use the same night

I like my ground beef with a little bit of pink still in the middle but I think I am going to have to hockeypuck these just to play it safe.

Did that cow die of radiation or cancer?

I've never seen beef that grey

If'n ya needs t'hockey puck it, just make a meatloaf, millionbof (beef mince gravy to serve with something starchy) or stuffed X (peppers, mushrooms, courgettes/zukes etc) rather than burgers.
I'm stuffing peppers today, actually.

Came out pretty good.

It's good. The sell by date is to help stores manage their inventory and not a guide to the quality of the meat. If it wasn't good to eat they wouldn't sell it, that's why it's marked down so they are sure to move it before they can't sell it and they lose the whole package to "shrink" as they call it. Department managers at supermarkets are often graded by how much "shrink" or waste their department creates so the mark down is simply an incentive to sell before the sell by date, which again is not a consume by date.The color leaving is a normal part of exposure to atmosphere and has nothing to do with quality or safety of the meat.

>anyone know why it gets discolored?

sure. lack of oxygen in contact with the meat due to the packaging.

it's nothing to worry about.

Hemoglobin to be specific.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemoglobin

Why write like such a spastic

They sell that shit for cheap because it's near its "expiration" date, not because it's actually going bad.
I exclusively buy all my beef from the "butchers special" section. Regularly get steaks for $3

I don't go down the docks t'swat sailors' dicks outta yer mouth, so why're ya tryin' t'stop me from doin' what I like t'do?

>3.99/lb for 85% lean

Holy shit op get it to-fucking-gether, also the shit you bought needs to be cooked asap

wise move

when its gone, its gone. if it's iffy, make soup or something.

Just imagine what some of the borderline deadly shit our ancestors ate

Marked down meats are fine just cook them same day. The discolouration is showing you what the meat naturally looks like, slightly grey. The meat is red because of blood and all that but most of the time they add a bit of dye to make it look a bit nicer. Worry about deli meats and that though, shit like pastrami is cured with sodium nitrite and it keeps the meat looking nice but is essentially poison.

Buy it it bulk and freeze it as soon as you get home. Best way to stock up on meat.

A way for poorfags like me to get cuts of meat that would otherwise be out of my price range. I always cook them on the day I buy them, and I've had maybe one or two bad batches in five years (the obvious sort, where it smells funny when you open the packaging).

I'm not sure if you're aware of this but the leaner meats are actually more expensive. 80/20 is the baseline "cheap shit" and anything leaner than that is only going to cost more.

>yfw 99% lean ground beef, ground turkey, and ground chicken are a thing

I even have come to like filet steaks a bit better when they're going gray I imagine they're even more tender.

Don't buy meat after it goes brown.

It's oxidized, which means it's been sitting out for longer than you want.

You're running a risk. I've often bought meat like that for cheap, but it was actually rotten when I opened it. If you have the money to buy fresher cuts, then do that better. If you don't then it's understandable I guess.

(I did get a refund when I returned the rotten meat)

>I like my ground beef with a little bit of pink still in the middle

pls dont. ground beef is way more suspectible to bacteria compared to steaks. always hockey puck ground beef

yes. i got 4.4 lbs of ground beef in the freezer yesterday. also got earlier bunch of steaks and lotsa chicken for cheap. fridge is stocked with meats and payed only 15 eurobucks for like 8 lbs of meet

In almost every case it will be fine if your meat is brown, oxidized just means it came into contact with the air or some shit. You can look up the indepth scientici google explanation if you care about that.

Having grown up poor and eaten plenty of meat that's brown on a sensitive stomach I never got sick from that. Now of course if it's entirely brown and smells off at all or feels strange then of course you should not purchase or toss.

Don't buy that shit beef I just bought a quarter of beef for $700 which was organic grass fed. I got 200 pounds of beef that was grass only fed including T-bones Roasts and all the other steaks. That's three dollars a pound how can you beat that?

I love getting "manager's special" (aka marked down) meat. As long as it looks and smells okay, I'm down with it. I bring it home and either cook it immediately or freeze it immediately.

this is all we ate growing up and it gave me brain damage!

Isn't that what the appendix was for until we discovered fire and it became vestigial?

One time when I was in Indiana the marked-down chicken actually smelled a little off. But it was like 65% off and I was poor so I said fuck it. Cashier was unfazed by the smell, and I survived. But I'm not doing that again if I can help it.

What the fuck is wrong with you? What shit country do you live in?

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU MAN

SHOW ME ONE MOTHERFUCKER WHO EATS THAT. DO IT. FIND AN IMAGE OF SOMEONE EATING THIS SHITPILE

jack tier

Eww, it' s already brown. Throw it away, dude!

I've cooked slightly off-smelling chickens just past the best before date before and haven't had any issues although yeah, probably a bad idea to roll those dice too many times. Giving it a good rinse helps with the smell at least in my experience

>That's three dollars a pound how can you beat that?
Are you including the initial investment of a fuck-off huge freezer? Most of us live in the city, ya know.

>That's three dollars a pound how can you beat that?

With $1.99/lb?

lean mince is stupid

>hand ground beef
>raw yolk
>minced shallots
>capers
>herb garnish
>...
>plop in some sad off the shelf pickles

>On a side note, anyone know why it gets discolored?
Beef only looks bright red after its been dyes and stored in a high co2 environment. The brown is the normal color, but retailers making red because it looks more appetizing. If it's off you will be able to tell by the smell. Grocery stores won't sell spoiled meat. However, when I buy managers specials like that, I always stick them in the freezer if I won't use them that night because otherwise I'm prone to forgetting about them.

Yes, he's saying that's still a bad price 85% ground beef, let alone marked down, and I have to agree...

How much do you pay for 80/20?

Make sure you buy lots of freezer bags. Take out one portion to cook immediately, then put the others in separate freezer bags with all of the air pushed out. Write the date of you packaging it, then keep it frozen until you need it.
I think it turns brown because the liquid stuff they put in there with it to give that vibrant pink color starts to oxidize. I may be wrong

>freezer bags
I use sandwich baggies. The plastic fold-over kind that don't have a zip top. The ones sold in boxes of 150 or 300 for $1 or $2 each. Those. I put one portion of mince in a bag, usually around 4oz, press it into the bottom of the bag in a sausage-like shape, then wrap the rest of the bag tightly around itself. Doing so removes way more air than a freezer bag could ever hope to remove.
Then, I fit as many of these meat parcels into a brown paper lunch sack (50 for 99¢) marked with what's in the bag, the expected date of expiry (the date written on the package before I opened it and froze the meat) and the current date.
No joke, the other week, I thawed out some lamb mince from 2013 I froze this way and it was just as good as four years ago. Vac bags are too expensive and freezer bags don't work nearly as well.

It's not $3.99/lb. It's $1.995/lb. I still wouldn't buy it at that price because I buy ground beef only once or twice annually, around Independence Day and/or Labor Day, when supermarkets have it at its cheapest prices of the year. I get a nice, large amount and freeze it as described above.

Not him, but the price varies a bit, even around barbecue season. Some years, like this July past, the price dips to $1.49/lb. Others, the price "spikes" to $2.49 (which is still a good deal). It's usually around $1.99, give or take a nickel and quarter.

I've been buying meat like this for years and always find it to taste amazing while having Radaculous prices and Tremderocious savings! Anybody who buys this is a Kool Kat in my book!

>Doing so removes way more air than a freezer bag could ever hope to remove.

You can do the same thing with a freezer bag. Not to mention that a freezer bag actually seals closed whereas the fold-over sandwich bags do not.

>>vac bags are too expensive
no

>>freezer bags don't work nearly as well
only if you're a retard and can't figure out how to squeeze out the air like you did for the sandwich bags.

Whenever I see marked down shit I buy them all and freeze what I won't cook that day. Too bad I live in a student town and i'm not the only poor student so I don't see em that often since everyone wants them. If it's brown it's just oxidized, it's perfectly safe, I use to work in some supermarket meat shop and we always added preservatives to the ground beef to keep it red. You know if it's bad by smell or taste.

Guaranteed, stuff in your freezer bags are turned to shit in a few months while stuff in my sandwich baggies are still good literally years later.

>vac bags aren't expensive
Maybe not in whatever magical faerie world you live in, but around here, they're $8.16 for a pack of thirteen, one-gallon bags. That holds only about as much as two hundred sandwich baggies total. So, $8.16 ÷ 200 ≈ 4¢ per cup of storage v. $1 ÷ 150 ≈ 0.6¢ per cup of storage.
>but they're reusable!
They're still about 7× more expensive, so you'd have to re-use them that many times before the savings kick in, which is hard to do since you have to cut and discard the unusable sealed part of the bag each time you open it, making your the reusable part smaller and smaller each time, decreasing its capacity by nearly 2oz each time you open a bag. Not to mention that you have to buy the sealing system, too.

But hey: you enjoy your Waste-O-Money™ brand Food Sealer Plus vac-system, user.

Hey stupid, steak taretare isn't made with grocery store ground beef. It's made from carefully sliced, top tier cuts of cows that died mere minutes ago. Make sure you got you know what you're talking about before you go insulting people.

OP here. Got one more day to finish this so I am making more burgers. This is round two

These are my famous double stackers. Two patties between one bun. Cheese on both. Served with a side of steamed mushrooms (cooked in the leftover oil from the burgers)

Tastes amazing

Looks atrocious.

Kek! A strange meatball sandwich.

This. Anyone who has ever bought a rotisserie chicken has bought discounted meat. Just needs to be cooked or frozen immediately.

75/35 is so much better than 80/20

Im talking more along the lines of "modern" humans, like midevil times. Even like 1930s era great depression people ate some really nasty shit.

do you mean 75/25? I have never even seen anything below 80/20

niggaz meat be like over 100 per cents yo

They don't understand the concept of buying quality meat and grinding it yourself.

>tfw no 4D 110% meat

I actually manage a meat department for Food Lion. Pretty much any meat I eat is marked down because it's close to the expiration date.

I ain't dead so I guess it's alright.

they look absolutely disgusting, would still eat though

Let me ask you something. I used to be able to procure marked down angus a few years ago at my local grocery store. I would just come in late at night before they close and there would be a ton of it available. I never see it anymore. Did they get rid of it or what?

They expose it to Carbon Monoxide to make it BRIGHT pink. After a while the pinkness fades back to NORMAL. It's only pink like that naturally for a day or two after slaughter.

When people die of Carbon Monoxide poisoning they turn bright pink too.

This shit is so good