Infinite Jest is finally getting translated into my language

>Infinite Jest is finally getting translated into my language
>the translation is being done by this 23-year old girl

Am I fucked or should I just read it in english?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0nd9DuDGCz0)
youtube.com/watch?v=xUMecH-vpEU
thespinoff.co.nz/featured/11-07-2016/the-monday-extract-keats-is-dead-so-fuck-me-from-behind-by-hera-lindsay-bird/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why bother with a translation when you can read English?

wow what a qt

hungarian isnt even a real language.

read it in english.
all translation suck.

It's a good language though

>George Bernard Shaw : “After studying the Hungarian language for years, I can confidently conclude that had Hungarian been my mother tongue, it would have been more precious. Simply because through this extraordinary, ancient and powerful language it is possible to precisely describe the tiniest differences and the most secretive tremors of emotions.”

I know Hungary is cheap but is it nice there? Are bitches hot?
One of my escape plans is hungary where I accumulated wealth and I move to denmark and open a business.

She is a famous "poet"

I'd hit it tbqh famalam

You are fucked

not by her though

eh, that's just what happens when you become really fluent in a second language, particularly one very different from your own. it always feels liberating. you can find quotes like that about every language.

Tourists usually love Budapest, there are some great architechture there (see this: youtube.com/watch?v=0nd9DuDGCz0)

I don't live there though so I can't comment more. The girls can be cute.

Wasn't DFW pretty young when he started writing novels

no shit. id drink her bath water

just read vineland

but he was never female

maybe she's really good at translating who cares you should read it in english anyway

Wow, she's really cute. That means she won't understand it, unfortunately.

Do you have any real reason do doubt her performance or are you just a whiney baby who hasn't yet had the balls to actually engage with actual women in the real world?

>Do you have any real reason do doubt her performance

Yes. She is a woman.

>David Foster Wallace was 24 when Broom of the System was published

Thank you, I will.
I still have around 2 to 4 years here and then if things go well I will visit the country and see how it is. Hopefully I can get some info there from someone as well, assuming he won't try to trick me since I'm a tourists and stereotypically must be rich

>talking about translation of english literature on Veeky Forums

don't bother to ask OP, this place is filled with so many retarded opinions on this subject that no good can come out of this discussion, just look at those hot opinions:

pathetic

IJ should be pretty simple to translate for the most part, but it's very American, specifically New England. I don't know what an international audience would get out of it.

Ok, a whiney baby who hasn't yet had the balls to actually engage with actual women in the real world it is, then. :^)

I feel sorry for you.

>"Oh great, you made it to our date! Did you bring along that book you said you'd published? Y-you have been published, r-right?"

youtube.com/watch?v=xUMecH-vpEU

Stop being in denial, women can't into literature

I feel sorry for people who get baited so easily.

The old "it's only a performance and apic may mays all for bantz and lulz but on the bottom I'm a sad misogynist" meme. Never gets old.

just kill me now fampai

Cum on a copy, let it dry and send it to her. Women love that shit.
Source: I'm a girl

>I don't know what an international audience would get out of it

>what's War and Peace, Les Miserables, 2666, don Quixote, Le Rogue et le noir?

A list of novels from places that have actual country, ie not America

This guy is really mad!

>Start with the greeks
>too greek
>will never get anything out of it
>decide to forward with the romans
>too roman
>fuck
>pick up contemporary brazilian book so I won't get fucked again
>pick up Opsiane Swiata
>the book is set in the 20s
>half of it in Poland, half of it in northenr Brasil, which I don't know

no its just a rip-off of Vineland

as a Frenchman I enjoyed IJ, and most if not everything felt real and relatable. I think it's a good thing it gets a wider audience

all the slang etc.. is lost in translation. kinda fucks with some chapters

Ive read very good translations from French by aristocratic high class women.

Why do women pretend to like Infinite Jest?

A lot of those have importance due to intertextuality, but I would sincerely believe that those texts are more relatable to where they are written. The themes are more universal as well. It's a nice compliment to IJ to compare it to those works, but I don't think they are on par with each other.

What's pathetic about those opinions? If he can read English, why shouldn't he stick with the English copy?

1: Go read Virginia Woolf
2: Fuck off back to r9k

These are your options.

>Implying I myself can even tell if I'm mysoginist or not
>Implying I'm not so far down the rabbit hole of metairony that I have zero ontological certainty of anything

disagree

Naming exceptions won't change the general rule.
Do you also think woman are just as funny as men?

Got a better question: why would you bother yourself reading that disgusting, boring, piece of shit?

>you will never have a qt Hungarian translator girlfriend give you a post-coital backrub as you read while laying on your bed in front of a balcony overlooking 95%-white Budapest as you talk about how Orban is doing a great job and has caused massive rises in wages while keeping all the migrant scum out.

She is a poet primarily. And she hates Orban, just like every young humanities student

MY SEMEN!

She's a fucking slam poet

Also, user, I am currently reading it in English, it's not so hard. I mean, you need a dictionary, the fucker loves his obscure words. But suprisingly readable and comfy

Find her
Fuck her
Make her your Mary Karr
Live the meme

Yeah, Dave was only fourty-six when he finished his life.

why does everyone seem to have a hard on for that book, whats so good about it?

i wonder how much of an in-depth understanding a chick born in 1993 can really have of the nineties and it's memes which are so very essential to the text

gril or not

just read it english

Disrespectful

It makes me look cool carrying it around because it has so many pages

Fuck fuck fuck I wanted to translate it to Hungarian. Stupid ho

Magyar? Jézusom, előre félek. Kosztolányi óta nem volt rendes magyar-angol fordítónk.
also this

I wonder how Erdrey's gibberish chapters would work in another language.

also this, it really makes me quite sad to see all these chances go. Pale King is still there tho'
(it's impossible to translate, I'd have to travel to America and get an accountancy degree in Hungary just to get half of the jargon right)

hungarian here from Ujpest, i translated one of her poems for you guys, it's about losing a virginity i think

title: naked at dawn

i pull the sheets back
he lies there asleep
like a body
that i have to identify for the police
"yes, that's him" i say aloud
beginning to cry

he wakes and stares
i sob with eyes shut tight
he touches my red skin
with cold fingers
promising it will be alright
that the first snow of winter is falling
look
what do you think? i've never heard of her to be honest

>you will never have a qt American translator girlfriend give you a post-coital backrub as you read while laying on your bed in front of a balcony overlooking 86%-white Pittsburgh as you talk about how Trump is doing a great job and has caused massive rises in wages while keeping all the migrant scum out.

link to the original?

what the fuck is metairony. the latter part of your statement is true in a trivial sense, though

Hnnng

Pretty Terrible. Modern "poets" of the newer generations spit on Keats yeats and anyone of importance, the imagery is something a 15 year old can conjure, and talking about sex in poetry so bluntly is low.

>"poem" by a female "poet"
>"MUH CUNT SEX VAGINA I FUCK A MAN SEX PREGNANT COOTERS FEMINIST GIVE ME MONEY"

Wow! Exciting new stuff from the vagina people!

Mi van Szentkuthyval te műveletlen fasz? (oké, az más tészta, hogy gyakorlatilag újraírta a Ulyssest)

It's better in English

>you will never have a gf

How do you get the rights and editorial backing to translate a novel?

Why wouldn't she understand it?

Tfw still no infinite jest in polish

>you will never have a f

it shows

F

>the vagina people

i gigold

Read it in English if you want to read it.

This.

>Read it in English if you want to read it.
because IJ is know for its amazing use of the english language and groundbreaking puns

pff, amerifats will never learn

why exactly should anyone care what an unfuckable incel thinks about how funny women are? I doubt you're burning down the house when you recite memes at the dinner table while your poor parents nod uncomfortably.

You can do it, she gives you a playbook. Get some poetry published, offer to the publisher to translate dfw.

Don't read Infinite Jest in any language because it isn't good.

>slam poet

Sorry about your shitty translation, Hungry bros.

i genuinely laughed at these post

thanks lads

wtf I hate qts now

>tfw first translation of IJ in the world is in my language

I still read it in English tho

Minek olvassak angol könyveket lefordítva ha eredetiben is megértem, teljes mértékben leszarom.

DFW is simple literature

Povera Italia...

Végtelen öröm vagy mi?
DFW is untranslatable.
Both culturally and linguistically.

>managed to type this just fine in english
Why exactly would you bother with a translation?

This is the worst Veeky Forums meme.

>tfw no Hungarian qt to build walls with

No, it isn't. The worst meme is "lol why don't you just learn the language???". This is just "you have already learnt the language", which actually makes sense.

If you can read Veeky Forums you can read Infinite Jest.

USA hasn't a single original cultural characteristic

>if you master English well enough to sling shitposts into this hellhole you will always get more out of a postmodern non linear 1000 page tome in English than in a translation to your first language
>actually makes sense

>The worst meme is "lol why don't you just learn the language???
That one is obviously nonsensical. Someone might actually be serious with the above meme.

>Modern "poets" of the newer generations spit on Keats yeats and anyone of importance, the imagery is something a 15 year old can conjure, and talking about sex in poetry so bluntly is low.
Behold.

thespinoff.co.nz/featured/11-07-2016/the-monday-extract-keats-is-dead-so-fuck-me-from-behind-by-hera-lindsay-bird/