Why don't mathematicians try to popularize math the same way other scientists do...

Why don't mathematicians try to popularize math the same way other scientists do? It would make the job of the latter much easier, since math is the main deterrent for going into STEM, in the first place.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=d6c6uIyieoo.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

We don't want normies. Mkay ?

How would you propose to popularize it? The way they popularize science is by minimizing the details about the scientific process and just talk about weird or exciting results.

Do more of this youtube.com/watch?v=d6c6uIyieoo. Use visual aids to explain math, show structure behind the numbers?

Math is pure. There are no layman terms for math, you can't make it simpler. You either learn it or don't.

We unfortunately have to use physical consequences of interesting theorems to popularize them, and this is inherently a job for applied mathematicians. If pure mathematicians don't want to find applications to reality by their own interest, why would they do it for others? This is why pure math is relatively unpopularized.

They are waiting untill nobody can count so they will fool another people and all will believe that 2+2 is 5 :D

With physics you build things.
How do you explain Hodge Theaters?

it's good that maths is a deterrent for going into stem.

People who think you can do science without at least highschool math (minimum required for biology) would be worthless science students and academics

this kind of thing is preaching to the choir.

the people who watch it are already engaged with and interested in maths

Google 'A Mathematician's Lament'

The education system is beyond retarded which has warped the public perception of what math is and how to get into it. 99% of people see math as too esoteric for all but the most gifted people to learn.

Math is fucking awesome and a deterrent only to pussies (like me 5 years ago when i went to medschool due to bawww muh math). If you suck at math git gud you lazy brainlet cunt fuaark

>visual proofs
gtfo

because math is boring dogshit that is impossible to like for anyone other than autistic sperglords

math is popular. from kindergarten to grad school math is literally taught everywhere that isn't a literal shithole.

what the fuck you mean? you want more math holidays and hallmark cards? gtfo

Math is about formalism, you can't unformalise formalism.

Because math is very hard to make into pop sci. Even all the pop sci math channels are populated by either math majors trying to learn what the fuck their topology lecture was on that day or the "le xd I am smrt highschool student in le calc 1 I lerned more from dis video den in all of science math class ecks dee".

On pop sci videos you have all of the above but at the same time the vast majority of veiwers are now just harmless normies intrested in pop sci trivia.

You're a god if you can successfully turn math into an actual pop sci.

>what is numberphile

See
Also he's not a notable mathematician. Did you bother reading the OP?

Advanced math is way too jargon heavy and abstract to popularize.