How much worse is the English version than the original Spanish? What do you miss? Alternatively...

How much worse is the English version than the original Spanish? What do you miss? Alternatively, how difficult is the English version when compared to the Spanish version? Also, can we all just appreciate how great this cover is?

i also wanna know

Wimmer translation is really bad. I remember this interview with her and this guy asks how she translated the puns one of the (German) characters was making. She had no clue there were puns.

She doesn't know the language.

>tfw spaniardo
>read english books on original language
>heard about Bolaño
>all spanish editions are uber shit and look like cheap paperbacks with awful covers

Why are English editions always better? (aside from the translation, of course)

> Why are English editions always better?

Because they aren't and you're a dumbass?

It is a good cover. Isn't it a testament to Bolano that his work over comes even possibly sub-par translations (not that I trust any fucking tapas talking cunt's opinions).

estupido ranaposteador

is that the only translation available?

No soy el ranaposteador, pero esa tapa es horrible.
Existe una edición de Vintage en español con la pintura del inglés.

>tfw Chile masterrace

The original is pretty sloppily written. It's clear Bolano was rushing to get the draft done as his health deteriorated. Read By Night in Chile and then 2666 in Spanish and there's not much comparison.

Wimmer actually did a decent job cleaning it up and making it feel more like a cohesive novel, but I suspect Chris Andrews would have done even better.

Jap cover for your viewing pleasure

it's a good book in its own right though
if you don't read spanish, i'd highly recommend the english 2666, puns or no

fuck that is sweet. i cant read moonrunes yet but id buy it for the cover desu

>Wimmer actually did a decent job cleaning it up and making it feel more like a cohesive novel,

so she'll be criticized decades later for not being true to Bolano's writing

Constance Garnett of our time

He's talking about the quality of the book's binding and material, not the content.

The vintage espanol versions are great though. Text is nice and big, the pages are soft and the cover has a nice matte feel to it.

> He's talking about the quality of the book's binding and material, not the content.

Yes, and he's still a dumb ass. You proved it yourself with:

> The vintage espanol versions are great though. Text is nice and big, the pages are soft and the cover has a nice matte feel to it.

The English translator did not "clean up" the novel nor "make it feel more cohesive". The novel's "sloppiness" is more of an unconcentrated sprawling narrative that fits with the books "fictional non-fiction" prose and not an inherent fault in the novel's quality.

Translation is pretty spot on and would completely recommend it to anyone who cannot read spanish.

>He's still a dumbass.

He might just not know the vintage español version exsists, though. I didn't find out about it until I found it by chance in an american book store. All the latino editions in latino bookstores had terrible build quality and were around 40 bucks new. Fuck that, no one Bolaño told us to steal his books.

Not even Chilean and I love this stupid country for birthing Bolaño, but I love Mexico more for making him what he is (was)

also, can you people learn how to speak spanish? jeezus christ yall sound like you're having spasms.

Not sure she's *that* bad. Garnett absolutely mutilated Dostoevsky. Completely drained thise books of violence and energy.

I do hope 2666 proves marketable enough that another translator gets to take a crack at it.

At work we don't talk like the idiots you see in Youtube videos, unless you are poor/football player.

Link?