I really doubt it but is anyone here looking forward to this book?

I really doubt it but is anyone here looking forward to this book?

This is the first time seeing it, and tbqh, just going by the title, I bet it's just going to be another "whoa, stoicism mang" book, written in shitty prose.

that's more Ryan Holiday's thing

"Models" was good and was one of the few self-help books I immediately applied to my life. I didn't know he would be coming out with another book so as of now I'm looking forward to it. Thanks, OP.

comes out on the 13th

care to elaborate what the book's about?

Self help books are for faggots. Read philosophy or kill yourself.

Sooo one more book about stoicism for the 21st century?

reddit-tier literary references

he obviously gives a fuck if he's writing a book about it

sounds like there could be something good hidden behind the stupid surface but that kind of stuff doesn't interest me much.

I like him. He seems like a realistic representation of what Internet 'lazy but smart' guys can actually do if they applied themselves and didn't just wait and hope to become the greatest writer of all time

>few self-help books I immediately applied to my life

lol, Americans are so fucking stupid.

bump

As opposed to your bitter behavior?

This guy looks like he loves the sound of his own voice

He admitted that he loves to write for the sake of it, so you're correct

Sounds neurotic and impotent, like his previous book was about changing himself for women and he called it "true masculinity".

Anyways if I understand "not giving a fuck" correctly in the usual context what people really want is

A) not have any social filters and be unaffected by social control all the way down to their own emotional responses to it like the regular response to rejection, ostracism etc. and
B) have an infallible world view and moral system which they can use to rationalize that they haven't turned into sub-apes were A) ever to materialize

What's the easiest way to achieve B) being hyperaware of all the greatness around your unaccomplished fuckface? Skepticism. Skepticism and stoicism (when the feels come back to haunt you in your sleep).

Isn't that nifty? Now you don't actually have to go around "fuck da police"ing and risk something but you can simply rationalize why it's not worth it as long as you have your masculine independent feels. Congrats, you have achieved A). Such willpower.
>Well not really, you just rationalized the fuck out of your subconscious motives

And? And everything was OK, the kids had their power fantasy, everyone can go to bed. That would be the Harris answer.

I want a third pill.

your autistic aren't you?

Sounds like a cool new self help book for cool edgy dudes.

This should be a universal law tbqh.

any self-help book is fucking rubbish.
the key to living life is pretty simple, but it can't be taught with words you have to live it.
not giving a fuck is pretty good advice, 200 pages about not giving a fuck will only complicate things and make you a weirdo.

the basic idea to remember is that it's all about attitude, not giving a fuck is a good base to start from and also, relax. it's not infallible of course given everyones unique intepretation of "not giving a fuck" (because you have to give a fuck about some things) and you'll find that it needs tweaking along the way, but that's the idea. somatic memory is key to understanding how it works, if you're not stuck in your head you'll feel it when you're a bit off and that's when you learn. also, avoid neurotic people, they will drag you back into your head.

>shit talk self-help
>give a paragraph of self-help

Good one m8

This.

Most self help books give good advice. It's just that most people rather read another self help books than actually start to practice the stuff in the books. That goes for everything you want to learn. At some point you definitely should start active practice instead of seeking out more information because you're too anxious to start.

Well then its not good advice if it doesn't account for our reluctance to actually follow through

Spoken like a true entitled millennial cunt. No one will be able to tell you the magic words to make your body move.

>self help book fails to help someone
>its your fault not the books

Ah ok

That's exactly it though. How exactly can you blame the book if you don't even take the baby steps the book asks you to go?

i'm not against advice, i'm against 200 pages of advice, learn to read m8
it does. but it's generally common sense that could be broken down into a sentence or 2. and you don't need that many words in your head when you're trying to get out and about. i can generally tell when someone has read a self-help book or followed some youtube "BEAT SOCIAL ANXIETY LISTEN TO ME FOR AN HOUR" video, they just appear really forced. the very basic idea is to stop talking to yourself in your head and entire books about how to do so can only serve to fuck you up.

Because if you're not autistic its not so simple for a human to take on a given directive and carry it out consistently for long periods of time.

You're kinda right but I guess it has its advantages to read too many pages about short ideas. If you think about your audience when writing a self help book you think about unmotivated losers with lacking concentrations and tons of negative habits so it makes sense to repeat short ideas tons of times to make the reader understand its significancer and explain the idea in depth to clear up some doubt in untrusting readers. It helps remembering the advice too.
Nothing worthwhile is easy. Changing habits when you're at the bottom is not easy but not exactly hard either.

but unmotivated losers will just addicted to the rush of reading about the possibility of changing their lives and will just get stuck in the self-help cycle. which is what the entire self-help industry cashes in on.
the reality of it is that it's going to feel like shit at the start and the only way to fix it is not through some canned method or repeating motivational mantras in your head but by actually doing it and feeling your way out of it. a large part of it is that you don't want to come out of it some robot but what you really want is to be able to express yourself naturally.

It's just the reality that most people are doomed to stay in the cicle of anxiety. There is probably nothing worse mentally (except for giving up) than stepping outside of total ignoracy and seeking out ways to change but being unable to perform. Fundamentally there is nothing wrong with a high quality self help book that is based on scientific research.

nah it's not. the reality is that social anxiety/autism is basically not understanding social situations due to a lack of exposure. the best cure is just putting yourself in an environment where you're forced to interact with other people and toughing it out. it's like reading a book about how to ride a bicycle, you're better off riding the bicycle. socializing isn't math, you won't get better by reading about it.

That has nothing to do with how useful the content of self help books are.

I want to write a short book about how everything is shit. I will call it 'Kill Yourself'.

that angsty edgy teenager title.

>tony robbins with swear words

>my approach to life is counterintuitive

you're

case in point

bump

Social anxiety and autism aren't the same thing, retard.

i feel like if someone truly didn't give a fuck about anything they'd just adopt schopenhauer's anti-natalism and volcel lifestyle

but you naturally learn these things by being around people. if you get all your social ability from a book you're going to be unnatural as fuck.
they're very similar. if you can't see that you're retarded.

This

>to learn to live life, you have to live it
Genius.

you can't help those that don't want to be helped

>they're very similar
r u retarded? serious quetion

cynical sarcasm tends to be an attribute of the unliving, have fun tho

I will. Just to fuck with you.

but you'll literally be fucking yourself? have fun tho.

That would be Fun.

I will have Fun.

Fuck you.

Surely, if he truly didn't give a fuck, he wouldn't censor himself in his book title.