Why is it that people don't believe in science anymore?

>Why is religion dumbing people down all over the world in 2016?

Other urls found in this thread:

empiricalzeal.com/2012/06/05/the-crayola-fication-of-the-world-how-we-gave-colors-names-and-it-messed-with-our-brains-part-i/).
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because science is breaking down all the confidence and security the old religions used to give people.

Think about old catholics. They're peaceful. They know in their heart of hearts that there is a God that loves them, that they're a part of his plan, and that they'll be taken up by the holy spirit itself when they die, for truly death is nothing to fear.

But science doesn't offer the same security. When you die.. nobody knows. Everything in the universe is relative, for all intents and purposes, all morals are relative. There's no center of the universe, nobody really matters in the grand scheme of things, and we lose our spot on the pedestal.

With that insecurity comes a great deal of anxiety that people don't know how to deal with. Honestly, a huge part of the resurgence in old religion comes from people who don't necessarily believe in it itself (though they'll say otherwise), but who want to believe and who believe for the sake of having something to believe that lets them feel secure again and feel like they're on a pedestal in the universe again, that makes them feel concrete in their thoughts, feelings, and opinions.

It'll die down when people learn to cope with insecurity and accept it without clinging to irrational beliefs.In other words, probably never completely.

WOW senpai that's brilliant!

I realize that my generalizations are just generalizations, but how am I wrong?

> fuck me responding to bait

Nice explanation pulled completely out of your ass.

Because current science doesn't even use evidence anymore. Why should I just believe something from some random nobody when I can follow something that has been believed for thousands of years with little deviation. Anything that comes from science could easily change tomorrow and the stuff they try to use to convince me now is personal attacks rather than hard provable evidence.

Or when atheists finally start seeing the glaring signs.

what glaring signs?

If that graph is accurate, I appreciate the correction.

everything you see, feel, hear, etc.. it's just you don't see it as it is but as something different. it's not your fault, you're conditioned to see it this way. if you look closely at what you are or that the world is, you will realize. it's not easy to see, but it is possible.

it's basically just a different point of view you can achieve, a more grounded one.

>Its better to not be right at all (Earth is flat) than you might be right.
Wat, fuck out of here brainlet

Most people dont give a stuff about real science. But there is also a hard trend not to listen to experts. Why listen when one can look at wikipedia on their phone. Decades of lies by politicians,, economic experts, dietry experts and now ridiculous infonews on social media has made everyone jaded. Watch science budgets tumble over the next 30 years.

I don't understand how these science deniers are even earning a living. Automation is getting rid of the vast majority of unskilled work and you need to have at least a bachelors in something to be taken seriously. How is anti-intellectualism prospering when they should already be urged financially to become scientifically literate.

I honestly agreed with you user. I'm dead serious.

Dude weed lmao

>in 2016?
Its been like this since science every existed.

>Why won't people accept my total control of their lives because global warming!?
>Why won't people let me enslave them because [SCIENTIFIC_JUSTIFICATION]
>Why won't people pay attention to my research on ketchup stains on paper vs styrofoam plates?
Why won't OP stop being a faggot?

To be fair Wikipedia is pretty neutral and informative regardless of what middle school teachers say.

Thanks for sharing your opinions again /pol/, I was worried this thread was making a bit too much sense so I'm glad you showed up.

>climate change will doom us all, say 99.9% of scientists

Bullshit!

>abortions are OK says Pope

Ok.

It's not the science or politics or whatever. People (Americans) are just dumb as fuck. We're morons.

>morons like me have existed forever

Yea, we know. You're the problem, not the science.

Oh, kthx.

I 100% understand you. I feel the same way, and I've put a lot into finding that more grounded perspective. I think part of the problem is when people naively perceive science as legitimately objective or describing how the world actually is, instead of as descriptions of how we perceive reality, and sets of conventions that allow us to discuss things and ideas more accurately.

A really simple way of putting it is the difference between a "tree" and the tree itself. Science is calling the tree, a "tree", or dividing it by type. A grounded perception is directly perceiving the tree, without preconceived notion, and realizing the convention of calling it "tree" for convenience.

From what I've seen, religion, at its heart, is a set of symbols and metaphors attempting to explain this, as when one realizes this kind of perception, one sees themselves as par of a larger whole.

Agree with all of your points, to those people, you simply need to remind them that we are on a pedestal in the Universe. That being, we're the most intelligent species that has been observed.

About global warming, I'd say its less of a trust issue than a prisoner's dilema, we could do something but the most poluting countries dont give a flying fuck so whats the point of sinking money in a doomed cause ?

>believe in science

Welcome to the cult of Veeky Forumsentism, the dominant mental climate on this board.

Scientism attracts empty children in search of a new religion. They cannot stand uncertainty, they cannot stand doubt, they want infallibility, something to believe in. That is because the path to knowledge spells work and is always prone to error while belief promises certainty; and above all, it is for free.

Whereas Richard Feynman could say that "science is the culture of doubt", in scientism doubt and dissent are not tolerated and amount to the heresy of 'science denial'.

If someone must believe in something name something more worthy to believe in than the scientific method. Unless you have something better than the can't know nuffin card get back to work because my fries are going to burn.

I personally adhere to the scientific method because it makes real-world effects external from the control exerted upon us by the humanities. It isn't just a concept when you see it make an objective change.

Could you make any less sense

Try it out. What's the harm? If you commit to it, you will see what I mean. The thing is that you have to do it yourself, there's no way to describe what it's like or to prove that there really is that viewpoint. however there are studies with eeg measurements who show differences in brain activity.

Everything is relative. No matter how determined you are, everything you see, feel and experience will be unique to you and your biologically and psychologically ingrained way of looking at things.
Try as you might, you'll never see "my" way of looking at the colour red, and I'll never see yours. In the same grain, our solutions to the trolley problem may be different, and neither objectively moral.
Everything is relative, your reality at be real to you, but it is yours alone.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little intuitionist? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the seminary and I’ve been involved in numerous secret readings of Plato, and I have over 300 confirmed histories. I am trained in pure idealism and I’m the top dialectician in the entire Prussian reich. You are nothing to me but just another spirit, I will sublate you the fuck out with reason the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me in metaphor? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of historians across Prussia and your footnotes are being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that negates the pathetic little thing you call your self. You’re fucking history, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can sublate you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my first book. Not only am I extensively trained in undirected dialectics, but I have access to the entire corpus of western philosophy and I will use it to its full extent to show your miserable ass how unimportant you are, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” philosophy was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit reason all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking negated, kiddo.

>Science is a religion too! I jest prefer mine!
Science is the worst religion, except all the religions that have been tried.

that's true but our point of views are also pushed farther away by judging and labeling things and situations and even by language. for example, your culture and language influence how you perceive color (empiricalzeal.com/2012/06/05/the-crayola-fication-of-the-world-how-we-gave-colors-names-and-it-messed-with-our-brains-part-i/). you've basically been conditioned to your current point of view your whole life, but you can reach a more natural or objective point of view.

But who am I, as culturally influenced as I am, to be able to say I am truly free and objective?
I don't think it's possible to ever introspect without some bias, and by extension you cannot know how objective you are being towards the outside world.
It's an ideal to strive towards, but impossible.

you'll always be a human and a human has always a certain point of view, that's true. But you can learn to experience a moment without interpreting it and its content (shoes, feelings, trees, smells, etc). That's as far as you can get, I think.

that said, experiencing a moment just like this, opens up a more objective view on things, even on life for most people. anyway, I'm off to bed now.

You fool, you're in your own little bubble here and don't comprehend how irrelevant your preoccupations are.

You want know what actually *is* a gigantic affront to true science? The number 1 anti-science meme world wide by far is the belief in human neurological uniformity/belief that evolution stops at the head/denial of evolution having any effect of moral significance on talking ape creatures.

Who's 'church' promulgates this meme? Their faithful staff the halls of msm, priests delivering their sermons from an editorial page pulpit...

I've just converted last week to Kek, Lord of Chaos, He who memed Brexit, Trump and EM Drive. Praise be thy name Kek.

Pic related is pretty true.