Infinitely more readable than other bibles

>Infinitely more readable than other bibles
>accurate/literal
>lacks the baggage of biblical scholarship
>not hindered by religious dogma

>After the monumental translation of The Odyssey and even more transporting Iliad, he Englished the four Gospels, the Book of Acts and Epistles, and the Revelation whose author he did not think was the Apostle John. There was one evangelist he preferred for his elegant Greek, and when recovering in hospital from surgery he said that his doubts about the Faith had disappeared "somewhere in Saint Luke." He announced that he would be baptized at Easter. At the public baptism, with closed eyes and head uplifted, Dick solemnly recited the Creed whose Greek was his vernacular. He instructed that at his funeral this story be told to all his academic colleagues

Why are you not reading the Greatest translation of the new testament available to humanity?

thanks, user

Because it's still just a shitty mary sue fanfic regardless of who translated it.

I will likely get this as a companion to the KJV

>readable
Pleb.
>accurate/literal
Edgy.

underage and Veeky Forums newfag b&

>current year
>spouts "le mary sue" meme as if he's the first to do so

kys

>implying the bible was meant to be assfucked by academia who constantly distract readers from the word of God with their commentary and notes

Is there an old testament equivalent?

robert alter

Getting this after I finish my New Testament read through from the Oxford Annotated Bible and Orthodox Study Bible.

I've been reading some St. Maximus the Confessor. A bit past halfway through "On the Cosmic Mystery of Jesus Christ." It's a perfect sequel to my read of "The Orthodox Way" by Metropolitan Kallistos Ware.

Christianity has never made more sense to me.

>when god began to create heaven and earth, and the earth then was welter and waste
LOL no

Actually, yeah

It's significantly different from
>In the beginning God created Heaven and the Earth, and the Earth was formless and void
In KJV it starts with god's creation immediately and this creation is an empty malleable clay, where Alter starts with the awkward preposition "before" and essentially tells the reader there weren't things before god made things, which is messy and convoluted.

he's right though

It turns out the Hebrews that received this infallible and directly inspired text didn't think God created the universe but simply shuffled around chaos

it has a poetic ring to it though, i must say

Is the idea of the Bible as an infallible text one that is emphasized primarily in American Evangelical/Protestant teachings, or is it one that is popular with Catholicism and Orthodoxy as well?
In my Baptist church as a kid and teenager it was emphasized very heavily that the word is perfect and was in no way messed with by humans at any point, but taking religion courses at university it sounds like a text that had been tampered with a lot,even before translation.

It's like every orthodox larper can namedrop a total of 3 books besides the bible for the orthodox reading list

The Bible is in Catholicism infallible, but not in a literal way as far as interpretation goes.

People often recommend those so I bought them and read them.

I think they're good, so I recommended them too.

It's good to share joy with others.

Just read the KJV you hipster

>doesn't realize the KJV was a translation made (in part) with the agenda of making the Catholics look bad
It may be the best for prose, but for actual religious study it is not in the least.

Lattimore's is the driest, least poetic Odyssey translation in English. Is his NT any better?

>but taking religion courses at university it sounds like
HAHAHAHAHAhahahAHahA

ESV is pretty good, got the dead sea scrolls in it

KING JAMES BITCH

>Not reading your Orthodox Study Bible while binge listening to 'Coffee With Sister Vassa' after coming home from Vespers

My favorite is the good old RSV.

Is there an Apocrypha equivalent?

Has he translated the entire OT yet? His books are separated.

Higher education (good higher education at least) is required to get to the facts of the matter, which is that the Bible is obviously a heavily edited anthology of books composed over long periods of time that was hastily compiled for the sake of preservation. The challenge for Christianity, now that they are unable to grandstand on silly false axioms due to archaeological, anthropological, and natural scientific discoveries, is to find a way to continue with these discoveries.

Which is possible, but it objectively requires expelling a lot of the old attitudes and dogmas. This is the struggle for Christianity, ideologically, now. Christianity in 100 years' time, if it still exists, will be an interesting comparison to Christianity now and earlier.

Hes working on it

What does he have left to translate?

My understanding is that Catholicism is centered on tradition as well as the Bible; the principles of apostolic succession and the teachings of church are just as important as the Bible itself-- one of the arguments being that personal interpretation of the Bible is open to errors at odds with the supposed theological tradition that traces itself back to Peter.

Divine Revelation is a trinity itself: Sacred Scripture, Apostolic Tradition, and Personal Revelation. None can conflict with the other, so if a belief contradicts Scripture and Tradition it should be critically examined

> Shakespeare wrote KJV
> dude read this new one it's the best ever, ignore the translations with no copyright they all suck please give this man money, it's new

Rieu was the best translator of Homer btw.