Thirty six kiwidollars

Dont forget to rate, post, like and subscribe

Other urls found in this thread:

internal.org/Robert_Frost/Wind_and_Window_Flower
stuff-happens.org/2013/04/07/a-poem-by-t-e-lawrence/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What are the red ones?

> rate
Don Quixote is good to read at least once; certainly not a 'keeper', in my opinion. Odyssey is good. Hobbit is trash.

Sorry a better picture

Read Pushkin before Dostoevsky. It may or may not help, but he likes to allude to Pushkin a lot.

While those look nice those translations are probably dated as fuck.

Also, P&V Anna Karenina must be avoided. Go with Miriam Schwartz'

what do the red books look like on the inside?

The Brothers Karamazov I is my favorite Dostoevsky book

runner up is Wings - Greatest Hits by Dostoevsky

Yeah OP you're kind of missing half a book there. Might as well return that book and buy this version at any used book store.

wish i had a bigger bookcase - haven't been able to buy books in months cause mine is jampacked. Good looking set of books there.

Too bad you picked up so much Russian Lit.
I love Foundation.

Where are you Kiwibro? Did you area's Rotary club do another bookfair?

i hate hose gaudy leatherbound collections of mostly trite "classics" where they all look the exact same. I bet they're numbered or have a series title like "great books" too.

Yeah rotary club

Why do these all have the same hardcover? That's kinda boring

Just to make sure I read the correct one. The entire collection is about 870 page right? It ends with Alyosha and the kids?

Yis

Neat, I went to one in Mount Maunganui a few months ago and picked up like 40 books for $20

What's the deal with this? I'm from also from the land of the long white cloud but I've never heard about it.

I'd recommend avsey for any Russian works

Just look up your local rotary club bro, the all seem to have an annual bookfair

will do, thanks!

Cut and clean your nails.

>threda
sounds anglo saxon as fuck

>Don Quixote
>certainly not a 'keeper'

what did u mean by this?

How is that edition of Cervantes because I have the Anna Karenina translation by that publisher and I've never heard them mentioned but the Karenina book I have is by R&V so it must be pretty decent.

Anyway recently got Polybius's Rise and Fall of Rome along with the Puffin edition of Treasure Island by Stevenson.

Why are the Puffin edition covers so based? I absolutely adore this one.

Got these for $10
Retail value is probably close to $80 or $100

Uh...
Pic related, I didn't realize I had no photo. Sorry for phone post

Kiwi here too by the by.

Just got a 1912 printing of The Cloister and The Hearth in remarkably good condition yesterday.
Three dollars at the local dump of all places, I'm almost in shock.

oki mum

I don't remember the last time I read for fun.

Thank you son. Don't forget to shower later.

The ones without a readable title are
A small 1927 illiad
Myths and Legends of the Celtic race by TW rolleston
Plato (crito, phaedo, apology), epictetus and the meditatons of Marcus aurelius

Félix Luna is an historian of Argentina

here's all you need to know about the quran mate: allahu akbar haahahahhahahahahaha

haha funny mem :-)

Yeah, he forgot to mention the whole pedophile and goat fucking thing.

ironic
post ironic
pre ironic

Nice, been considering Osman's Dream myself. Why the interest in the Middle East? And have you read anything by Bernard Lewis yet?

I didn't know there were other Kiwis on Veeky Forums

Shamelessly posting this image in its third and final recent cops thread. Tell me what's good/what's bad. Also I tried to buy Ulysses but I'm retarded and bought the book in pic instead

Posting it again:
Greek drama collection
Oedipus
5 dramas from Shakespeare
Confucianist tales

Was a rather good haul,but damm,the Shakespeare cover is the ugliest I have ever seen.

Odd they didn't put it Solzhenitsyn in the bunch because he's fucking great.

Neat!

You got lucky bud, pretty high quality stuff there. DeLillo and Confederacy are solid 10/10s.

Reposting, sorry lads

I hope you enjoy Snow Country, user.

Nekem jobban tetszik ez az újfajta borító

Does anyone actually take Russell seriously? I'll admit I've read mostly continental philosophy and that I mostly follow literary periodicals that usually don't include much analytical stuff, but still I don't think I've seen him referenced as anything but a public figure and a cook

kook*

Picked these up yesterday. Tresure island and the verne books were on sale and the rest were used from half price books.

Mert buzi vagy

Yeah, I'm not a big Russeller myself, but it and the Wilde were 50 cents each and I didn't really want to carry 2 quarters around with me, so I got it

Basszameg, tényleg

Because interacting with Islam is going to be very important in the future.
Too many imams distort the less than peachy parts of Islam, and on the other side you have . And most people don't know a thing about the history of the Middle East, either.
People need to be capable of intelligently talking about this shit but instead most are just retarded.
I've been looking around, I haven't read any Lewis yet. Have a recommendation?

How are the Halcyon Classics translations for Pushkin? Is there a ebook version that's translated well?

Got these a few days ago.

informational text can be fun

I wanna know how those two books are. Pretty interested in both tbqh.

How is T.E. Lawrence his Seven Pillars of Wisdom? I read his translation of the Odysseus, and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

I want your annotated Treasure Island. Like to trade for a nice hardcover of Bear by Marian Engel? It's a fabulous and graphic love story about a woman who has sex with a bear, and it won the 1976 Governor General's Literary Award (the highest literary award in Canada).

Everything below the Ligotti for two dollars total. Pristine white pages and all.

It's the best collection for Frost. I read a few poems a day from it and this one is my favorite so far.
internal.org/Robert_Frost/Wind_and_Window_Flower

For Seven Pillars it's the best version other than the Castle Hill Press edition. That edition is the only one as far as I know that has the 1922 text and that makes it 1/3 larger. Too bad the price for that one is incredibly inflated.

I'm reading Moby Dick and Democracy in America so it'll be in my backlog for a while but I read a few pages out of temptation. His poem dedication titled "To S.A" is incredibly beautiful.
stuff-happens.org/2013/04/07/a-poem-by-t-e-lawrence/

>Norton critical

That's my boy.

Yep my go to for most classics. Sadly that Decameron is only about the first fifth of its entirety.

rotated, resized, hopefully deleted original post

I've been eying a first edition of Mason & Dixon at my local bookstore. Would it appreciate in value over time?

You know that Puffins are expressly for kiddos, right?

I'd assume it'd rise in value, but as always it's hard to tell with these things. If you can get it for relatively cheap (mine was $10 at the bookstore though it's a little rough around the edges) and it's in decent shape, I'd say go for it.

Ay Byron, my man.

Sup

That's always confused me. Is it the original text or abridged and simplified?

i got those same red books. did you go to a library sale, guessing by dots they do that here in aus. my local had one too, got a few good ones marx, the koran, KJV, Aquinas, corn cobb tortilla mcmeme, faulkner, chaucer, simone de beauvoir, nietzsche

nothing too massive but im pleased (50 NZD)

i wouldve visited the second hand stores but they were closed, so rip

wtf why is this upside down why has god abandoned me

i like your oranges

Nice bed sheets, are they your 6 year old brothers'?

Finished of mice and men last week very good short story

no theyre mine

7 pillars is great - Expect epic descriptions of the desert. Lawrence is an unreliable author par excelence so at times it borders on fantasy (in a good way). He went around with l'morte d'arthur in his pocket the whole war & passages describing the Bedouin tribes mimic Homer's list of ships etc. Awesome stuff!

Very nice. I know these threads get hate for materialistic ego stroking, but I actually find them handy for recommended reads/titles I've over looked.

Have a blog entry from Thursday.

>at bookstore browsing for historical fiction (i like it)
>end up turned around a bit in aisles
>see Lolita sitting on shelf, the copy looks a bit rough around the edges
>think about what people would think if they see it on my coffee table
>"fuck it."
>go to check out
>old woman at register gives me a weird look and says out loud "oh, i know what this is about"
>teenage girl at other register says "what?"
>"i'll tell you later"

I felt slightly shamed, but I just wanted to read it. I knew what it was about beforehand, but I didnt expect the actual reading of it to feel so creepy. Book is outrageous but entertaining.

a bit random, but that was the exact copy of lolita my local store had this morning

I keep reading the name as Nobakov and not Nabokov.

Is it as perverted as Thousand Cranes?

>Gilbert
LOL

this is a joke btw, any edition is fine in my experience

>dəm
really makes you think

i think that's an upside down copy of wep

Why did you pick up Foundation/Second Foundation without picking up second book in the trilogy?

flea market next door is going out of business. picked these up in a rush, are they any good? they all seem to have been dropped off by the same person at one point in time, because there are folded instructions for an english lit assignment (from 1970!) in each book

all very good, congrats on the classy find

It is dem by William Melvin Kelley

Picked up a few babby's first French (and Belgian) books today. I've been neglecting my french reading far too much lately so this is part of a big effort to get into some new books and improve my French reading skills a bit. I have already read Candide, but on an e-reader - it's not really the same. Hopefully they will be a good challenge - still debating which order to read them in.

The one on the bottom is: La Légende et les Aventures héroïques, joyeuses et glorieuses d'Ulenspiegel et de Lamme Goedzak au pays de Flandres et ailleurs

some aesthetically pleasing bed sheets you got there user. a little bit envious desu

Came here to post this actually, thats fucking disgusting OP, you fucking dirty disgusting faggot nigger. made me sick. lazy fucking faggot cock sucker

Recently acquired germinal, anyone know if it's any good

Clip your nails you fucking gross faggot. My god