Why are all of the smart people getting STEM degrees instead of studying literature?

Why are all of the smart people getting STEM degrees instead of studying literature?

Other urls found in this thread:

prepscholar.com/sat/s/colleges/ASU-SAT-scores-GPA
blog.prepscholar.com/what-is-a-good-sat-score-a-bad-sat-score-an-excellent-sat-score
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>tfw math and phys
Feels good mang

Also it's because
1. Job potential
2. Harder to differentiate between pseuds and success stories because of the field's more subjective nature

>Economy that high

Gonna need a source famalam

math/physics double major? how meme can you get

me too cambridge dont reject for grad school i will literally kill myself

They either
a. actually enjoy it

or

b. they fell for the "STEM will make you a bajillion dollars just by studying it" meme

Mostly money, although literature degrees seem decently high on that list, isn't 120 and above considered "superior intelligence"?

English/Mathematics double major patrician choice
who else w/ me??

>philosophy right at the top

uhh

>implying economics majors aren't literally master race
we combine philosophy and history and polisci into something actually useful

Influenced by shitty TV shows and movies as being seen as cool and profitable while literature and philosophy are dull and unrewarding leading to nowhere. While not entirely true there is a much larger influence from places like Hollywood helping to user people into STEM because they think it'll make them instant amounts of money.

>GRE
>Accurate measure of intelligence rather than just preparation
>my sides

>is it feminine to be a low-iq liberal arts major?

My major is physics/materials science engineering and i take extra mathematics courses and learn philosophy in my free time

T O P 4

O

P

Money. Though I'm skeptical as to how every single course average is higher than 103, considering the average IQ in most first world nations is 98-100
This

more like combine sociology, math and basic logic arguments into pseudoscience

because this is only for people going to grad school.

>business rated that high
lole?

Lower IQ people don't go to university.

I believe the GRE, like the SAT, is decently g-loaded. For reference, the SAT correlates around ~0.8 with g (where g = IQ).

===

W.r.t. economics, note that PhD programs in economics are highly mathematical (it's typically recommended, for example, for applicants to top economics graduate programs to have done well in undergraduate real analysis), so its high ranking in this image isn't successful.

isn't surprising*

>Going to overpriced universities is only for high IQ only

That's rich, truly all those party unis are for the top brains.

probably significantly smarter on average than the general population sadly

The average SAT score at Arizona State University is 1710/2400 whereas the average SAT score nationally is 1500/2400. Unfortunately, is right.

See:
prepscholar.com/sat/s/colleges/ASU-SAT-scores-GPA
blog.prepscholar.com/what-is-a-good-sat-score-a-bad-sat-score-an-excellent-sat-score

ASU REPRESENT WOO WOO

anyone wanna pop a brewski with me before i head out for some night rowing? no? haha, alright, catch you later brochacho!

I know you're joking, but the fact that you think ASU students are so far below you that they're sub-average IQ is an indication of how out of touch you are with the real world -- you've surrounded yourself with a bubble of substantially above-average IQ folks (yes, Veeky Forums counts as one). Not that this is a bad thing, but it's useful to realize how disconnected one is from even the bottom 50% of intellectual society.

The sexiest professor I've ever had, had had a teaching stint at ASU.

nah man, the entire reason i'm making fun of them is because i grew up in a poor area of phoenix and i am acutely aware of how these people are and have been surrounded by them my entire life. i am very well aware of the intelligence of the general public, its part of the reason i didn't like schooling so much growing up; i'm being taught by some retarded 24 year old with a BA? once you realize the world is run by these fags all there is left to do is read books

People don't study literature because the job prospects are virtually non-existent. I enjoy philosophy quite a bit but would never major in it (unless its a double major) because the best I could do with a philosophy degree is become a philosophy professor at a university or write philosophical treatises. STEM is just as, if not more challenging than literature and other similar fields of study but have a greater degree of job security.

Ah, okay, it's always hard to tell if I'm replying to the same person or not. I had the same sentiments about schooling growing up.

It's sort of bizarre how uncommon such sentiments are -- people just sort of assume teachers are competent and smart despite so much evidence to the contrary for some reason.