Assuming that a person never develops cancer or heart disease, how long can a human live?

Assuming that a person never develops cancer or heart disease, how long can a human live?

Hayflick limit

Until he develops a liver disease.

>never develops cancer
impossible. Do you really think you can take the brakes off the growth/repair mechanisms and expect things to be alright?

When his telemeters become too short.

so your cells have a set number of replications they'll go through before they enter senescence, which is cell cycle arrest.

Senescent cells aren't dead - they still metabolize and function - they're just nonreplicative because of the arrest. The normal cycle is G1->S->G2->Mitosis; something is keeping them from mitosis.

Senescence is still a big deal, though, because when you normally suffer a wound or something, you'll start expressing growth factors to generate more cells to close it and heal. But if your cells can't replicate, well, good luck with that.

I've read cell cycle arrest might be caused by an accumulation of specific proteins associated with normal cell cycle arrest as part of stress response; I think one of them was p16.

So yeah basically other shit will happen.

derp I forgot the topic was How Long

Not a professional on this stuff but I'm gonna guess not much longer

Until he dies.

From what I've been told by most people in related fields it's about 120 years. I'm skeptical though and I think people can go much longer than that in ideal circumstances.

I'm really optimistic about our generation life span. Some big research is going to that try to alter the telomeres system. Actually, there were already a couple species that are biologically immortal; they have virtually no limit to the number of times their DNA can replicate. So we already have the mechanism but we need to develop a genetic engineering method that could lead to incorporating it to other species like mice. Of course, this would be a lot more complicated to apply it to humans. But let 50 years slide and we'll talk again how much it was ''impossible''.

>impossible

I'm pretty sure cancer isn't an essential facet of all forms of biology. Naked mole rats don't get cancer for example even when researchers actively try to induce it in them.

Couldn't these issues be fixed with stem cell treatments, though?

I think that the problem wont be that there is no "immortality cure", but rather than when it will come, we'll be too old.

>but rather than when it will come, we'll be too old.
don't be so sure, user

tech is developing at an exponential rate

Only for so long. And research != tech.

Assuming no real external factors, the person would have the time of a cell turnover cycle after reaching the hayflick limit (theres a fancy name but i can't think of it) before you'd end up with premeditated apoptosis (without replacement because of the halt in replication) that'd pretty much ruin the organs and tissues of this long lived person.

Unless this is the point where the person develops mad cancer with uncontrolled, telomere free, replication.

Everyone already born will be too old.
It's difficult to think that any major change could happen without seriously altering our dna.

oh, okay

There is a story of a little girl with a genetic defect where she wont grow older than having a 4 year-old body. I forgot her name. She will probably outlive everybody born before 2000s

125 years old is the maximum life span for humans.

If a person plays sports and gets injuries, cuts, and bruises, does that mean they're going to die earlier due to hayflick limit even though they were otherwise healthier than their peers? Like would they be on schedule to die 10 years earlier only because they'd reach a point where their skin stops healing from cuts? Or their muscle mass doesnt recover from lifting or recovering from sports injury?

It would be nice if crispr could be used to inject a noncancerous dna sequence with no telomere limits.

>Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with humans forever, for they are mortal; their days will be a hundred and twenty years."

jesus set the limit for human life at 120 years.

I second this question, with the addition of brain cells. Maybe healthy people get their cells to last longer and extend each generation (antioxidants).

source: ass

It's the officially accepted limit.
That covers all the parts of the body, ass included.