Other high quality children's novels? This the first book I'm reading my daughter but I need more recommendations

Other high quality children's novels? This the first book I'm reading my daughter but I need more recommendations.

Pic related. Arguably, The Hobbit could fall into your category too.

Jane Yolen's Pit Dragon Chronicles
it's a shame people don't remember she wrote anything other than kids' picture books

I like reading novelizations of 90's movies to my daughter. It's not high quality but I do it for the nostalgia and some time to cuddle up with my kid

Abarat was my favorite as a kid next to the redwall series

seconded

The Chronicles of Prydain

Anything by Erich Kästner

Abarat was underrated as fuck

Prydain is classic

FOR REDWALL

The edge chronicles by paul stewart and chris riddell

Has great world building and illustrations and shit

Start with beyond the deepwoods

I loved everything from E. Nesbit although i haven't read them in my adult life so i don't really remember then. Also Alice in Wonderland for sure and maybe the classics like Peter Pan and the jungle book

Tiffany Aching series by Terry Pratchett. Wee Free Men is the first one, they're all good, although the last one is a little more... fractured, since his brain was turning in to paste. ;_;

the A Wrinkle in Time series, will build her vocabulary and is also a very interesting children's book.

PHANTOM TOLLBOOTH was my favorite book ever as a kid. Perhaps more for boys than girls (it's like alice in wonderland for boys in particular)

Narnia series is good, and even if you're not religious, if your daughter is young enough she won't make the obvious connections anyways.

Additionally, Funke (from your OP pic) wrote a book about a dragon and a boy. Forget its name. Not sure if it's as good as I remember but I remember liking it a lot.

The warriors series is kinda garbage but I'm sure she'll love it. I did when I was 10.

this this

one of my faves as a kid

Funke in general had a knack for children's fantasy.

this is good too

this is a little known but very cool book that i still read every now and then

Coraline, Odd and the Frost Giants, the one about milk whose name escapes me

I forgot about the phantom tollbooth
fun tar book is wonderful i think I'm going to go get it from the library. I second the Narnia books. I grew up orthodox Jewish and had no idea they were Christian based. They were just amazing adventures

I funny know how old she is but the westing game is amazing. Also the thief

*i don't know

Three Children and It

The Secret Garden

Treasure Island

Little House on the Prairie

this was great.

A Wrinkle in Time
The Hobbit
Alice in Wonderland
Redwall
Roald Dahl

Artemis Fowl

The Princess Bride

A Series of Unfortunate Events is GOAT

loved that shit

If they're girls, Enid Blyton

this blows don't read her this shit, its probably colfer's worst.

The only two I can think of are the hobbit and red wall.
They require more out of kids but if your kid takes a liking to them you probably have a great kid coming through

Pretty much all of Gordon Korman's books are fantastic other than his last series. He's a Canadian author and absolutely hilarious

His Dark Materials trilogy is excellent. Hands down the best children's fantasy I've ever read.

>cuddle up with my kid

Read See Jane Run to your daughter. 10/10 experience.

I'm a chick n I cuddled with my mom n dad all the time until I was 5 or 6. It's just what you do with lil kids because they're affectionate bastards who just want a sense of security.

You were like that too once.

Artemis Fowl
Redwall
Dragonrider/Guardians of Ga'Hoole/Warriors were all right
Phantom Toll Booth
Series of Unfortunate Events
Bartimaeus Trilogy (that shit was so good)
Inheritance (ehhh)
The Divide Trilogy
And honestly, mythology makes for great short stories.

butt wars
captain underpants