Are there any decent cyberpunk books...

Are there any decent cyberpunk books? I started reading Snowcrash a few years ago and put it down due to how cringe inducing it was.

Schismatrix Plus
All Tomorrow's Parties

The Atrocity Archives was smarter than I expected, not sure if it qualifies as cyberpunk though

Bleeding Edge by Pynchon takes the time surrounding the major event of our current postcyberpunk zeitgeist and explores it on a more memorable level, if you get the same crushing devestation of nostalgia and time past that I do, its worth a read

really can't beat audiovisual masterpieces like Blade Runner or Ghost in the Shell though, there's a lot of good 90s anime as well,

obv neuromancer & burning chrome
ribofunk
software

and play snatcher

Bump

is snow crash cringey guys
is that the one with the japanese girl with a katana or some shit

The books that started Cyberpunk are actually shit, and you have to be a teenager to enjoy them. I'm going to give them to some 15-year-old boy sometime, because I can't enjoy them.

>Schismatrix
Came here to post this
And Sterling in general is very good.

cyberpunk was a bunch of dull suburban middle class guys producing romantic fantasies about things they found dangerous and transgressive: gangs! social outcasts opposing "the system"! bold and badass fashion choices! urban sprawl! it's such a safe, narcissistic middle class vision of rebellion, "i am a GENIUS and i have STYLE and AUTHENTICITY and i'm going to use this brand new cyberdeck to hit the megacorp because i DESPISE authority", so of course it's embarrassing to read. and after that first wave of shameless wankery you get multiple generations of kids raised on this shit that treat it with boundless nostalgia, keep trying to bring it back, affixing "post" to the name like the insufferable cunts they are. oh and let's not forget constructing belabored comparisons to the modern world to prove that gibson was a visionary futurist and not just an ignorant douche that wrote a fantasy novel and then replaced gods with ais, the spirit world with cyberspace and metal bikinis with wicked stylish leather jackets.

i don't think you actually know much about the lives of gibson, sterling, or rudy rucker......
or cyberpunk for that matter
and i'm not even much of a fan

no it's the one where the hero is called "hiro protagonist" and he is the world master of cyber swordfighting with his vitual katana because he is also a genius programmer that wrote the cyberspace so he can, like, see the code maaaan

the best part is that the author later tried to make cyber swordfighting real with some horrible kickstarter project that cyberpunk fans all donated to and then they ran out of money and gave up

awesome

>cyberpunk was a bunch of dull suburban middle class guys producing romantic fantasies about things they found dangerous and transgressive: gangs! social outcasts opposing "the system"!

the first "cyberpunk" novel I ever read was written by a woman in the 1960s or 70s, and it was about a poor ugly girl gaining access to the shell body of a rich socialite, if any anons also read it and can remind me of the title that'd be cool

I'm not sure any related sci fi author, film director, or animator has ever called their own material "cyberpunk", so I'm not sure what you mean by "cyberpunk was a bunch of...", but you sound kind of annoyed about something other than the topic at hand so why don't you go for a run outside

yeah i forgot about the dangerous and exciting life of william gibson, a pampered middle class child whose most traumatic childhood memory is his father literally choking to death in a fancy restaurant

>has ever called their own material "cyberpunk", so I'm not sure what you mean by "cyberpunk was a bunch of...",

i see so your rebuttal is "words aren't real". a wise choice.

they aren't, arguing on a thread you really don't care for sounds real wise too user, go for that run outside I'm sure its wonderful right now

It's called "The Girl Who Was Plugged In" by James Tiptree, jr (Alice Sheldon)

can't thank you enough user

but i do care, i care about accurately answering op's question. he asked if cyberpunk was good and i wrote why not. to prove me wrong, you should write why cyberpunk is good instead of randomly insulting me or claiming discussing cyberpunk is impossible for some reason. why is cyberpunk good, user?

after reading the plot summary of "the Girl Who was Plugged In", it isn't the right novel, the one I read has the protagonist steal the body from an actual rich woman, like her employer as a maid or something, the beginning of it describes a lot of bodily self hate from the ugly woman, sex scenes are described liberally

insulting you would be taking your autism or needtoberightontheinternet seriously, go get some exercise

but why is cyberpunk good, user? answer for the op if not for me. why else would you post in a thread about the quality of cyberpunk?

if i'm making you uncomfortable, just pretend i'm not even here. just forget about me and write, in your own words, why cyberpunk is good.

It is but in a Stephensonian way it has a whole bunch of very cool ideas amid silly characters. Also I did find the retardation kinda charming.

Neuromancer is the only good cyberpunk book.

>he asked if cyberpunk was good
No, he didn't.

I enjoy cyberpunk for the aesthetic rather than the themes, therefore cyberpunk literature does nothing for me.

No. Read Burning Chrome stories online, and the first few chapters of Neuromancer. Then you've read all the decent cyberpunk. If you have any interest in the genre for its own sake then seek out one of the many essential cyberpunk guides online or purchase a few anthologies.

oh good, pedantry.

maybe you can explain what makes cyberpunk good since the other guy didn't know

Thanks for the suggestions. I put them on my Goodreads list. I figured Neuromancer and Burning Chrome would be suggested, but I wasn't sure how well they've held up over the years.

It isn't even good. It's pretty bad.