What ritual did you typically say or do when eating before dinner/family event

What ritual did you typically say or do when eating before dinner/family event

My family and I recited "God is good. Let us thank him for our food. By his hands we all are fed. Thank you for our daily bread. Amen."

Southern evangelical detected.

bless us o Lord and these thy gifts which we are about to receive from thy bounty through Christ our Lord

Amen

t. catholic upbringing

Ours, as a Protestant but Irish American family was

"Bless us, O Lord,
And these, thy gifts,
Which we are about to receive.
From thy bounty,
Through Christ our lord,
Amen."

Until the entire family simultaneously stopped believing in God when I was 12.

I don't pray because I'm not a part of any church or worship so I don't really say anything before I eat. I'm single/live alone too so all the more reason for me to do things my way which is mostly just cobbling things together in my very small kitchen and scarfing it down before work/school/hanging out with friends/vidya.

Sometimes on special occasions people around me will recite a prayer or thanks. I used to internally roll my eyes at it, but now I take it as more of a time to pause and recognize that we all get to be together which really is a nice thing so I'm more okay with it.

One of my aunts prays in restaurants and I do not like to be a part of that ordeal.

>Dad starts praying
"Dear god, thank you, amen"
Whole family chuckles and starts tearing apart food like rabid animals

2 4 6 8
bog in, don't wait

Is that supposed to rhyme?

Be present at our table, Lord
Be here and every where adored
These mercies bless and grant that we
May feast in fellowship with thee
Amen

(sung)

No other way

southern baptists family prayer

"God is great,
God is good,
let us thank him,
for our food.
By His hands,
we are fed,
thank Him for our daily bread.
Amen."

alternatively, southern methodists prayer

"Dear Lord,
we thank You for this nourishment for our bodies,
and our bodies into Your service.
In Jesus Christ name,
amen."

"

食べる前に「いただきます」戸言う。お酒を飲む前に「カンパイ」と言う。

戸ー>と

>Bless us oh Lord for these thy gifts we are about to receive from thy bounty Amen

I've heard it with "from thy bounty through christ our lord" inserted in there

We're not Catholic but apparently that Grace is. Lutheran. It's not even the Lutheran common table prayer which is

>Come, Lord Jesus, be our Guest, and let Thy gifts to us be blessed. Amen.

This is only one half of the family though, the rest are Godless heathens

"Bless us, oh Lord,
for these thy gifts
which we are about to receive.
And yea,
though I walk through the valley
of the shadow of no food,
I will fear no hunger.
We want you
to give us this day,
our daily bread.
And to the republic
for which it stands,
and by the power invested in me,
I pronounce us
ready to eat.
Amen."

Amen, pass the meat.

"Come Lord Jesus, be our guest, and let these gifts to us be blessed. Amen"
Surprised no one else posted this already.

do religious people really bless every meal they eat together?

we only do it for dinner/the evening meal

Seems like some kind of alien incantation gibberish to me, but the world is full of very odd people who take solace in pretending a higher power cares if their team won the game or their country won the war or their family was fed.

Kinda difficult to explain because while the pre-meal ritual is simple, there's a series of several pre-pre-meal rituals with a lot of nuances depending on too many factors centering around what's being served. I'll skip all that and just get to the gist of the meal once all the pre-pre-meal nonsense about correctly presenting and serving the food is done.

Anyway, the last person to sit down to the meal, usually the cook, says what translates to English roughly as "eat well."

Everyone already seated replies "thank you very much."

This is irrespective of grace. Religious families will say grace first, then proceed with the ritual of the last person to sit saying "eat well" and everyone else saying "thank you very much."

Every night before dinner, my dad would get out his guitar and sing this prayer:

Dear God,
the only thing I ask of you
Is to hold her when I'm not around
When I'm much too far away
We all need that person who can be true to you
But I left her when I found her
And now I wish I'd stayed
'Cause I'm lonely and I'm tired
I'm missing you again, oh no...
Once again

Same thing with my family XD

This was how I was brought up. But in my own home the wife and I just clink our wine glasses together, look each other in the eye and say, "Bon app!" Much better.

Rub dub dub bring out the grub

good food good meat good grief let's eat

>Rhyming prayers

Why do American's do this? Is there any practice or tradition you can't corrupt?

"Itadakimasu, please be oishii"

shut the fuck up already

nobody likes this meme

My family never said a prayer or anything while growing up. But now that my brother has kids, whenever we all get together for a meal my mom insists we chant:
"Creatrix in all things, we thank thee. AaaaaaaaaaaaMEN!" ("amen" to be a low held out drone building in volume while shaking your hands back and forth and raising them)

Not kidding. The niece and nephew are definitely amused by it, though

Good rice, good curry
Good gandhi, let's hurry

Turn on the tv

We link hands and hum auld lang syne. doesn't matter what time of year

We prayed the Angelus then this After supper we would say "we give thee thanks, almighty God for these and all thy benefits, thou who livest and reignest, world without end, Amen. And may the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God rest in peace."

We are "Irish" Canadian Catholics

We just comment on how it looks and dig in.

On special occasions i'd stand behind the dinner table, face the family shrine and worship my grandfather and my ancestors with incense sticks.

We weren't allowed to watch TV while having dinner, we would all take turns to tell the family about a piece of news we had read in the newspaper from that day.

>news we read in the newspaper

Oldfag get out

rub a dub dub, thanks for the grub

I just say the Lords Prayer. It's suitable for just about any occasion.

Are you French ? If so, are there really French people who say prayers before eating ?

"Imaginary God is great,
His son is good too,
let us thank him,
for our java.
By our hard earned mammon,
we are fed,
thank the Planet for our daily bread.
ShAmen."

itadakimasu

>being believers
Do Americans really do this?

My grandfather was a priest (Anglican) so he prays every night at dinner even though no one else in the family really prays or is very religious for that matter, I can't remember exactly what he says but it goes something like this; "for these and all your humble gifts we give you thanks, amen."

Bless this house to us we pray, keep it safe by night and day.
Bless this food to us we pray, give us strength through out the day.

Amen

My dad's a Pentecostal pastor so it was always different. Protect us from Satan and the Democrats and stuff. Never spoke in tongues at the table. I have depression and anytime I seemed even a little sad he'd tell me god told him the devil's attacking me spiritually and annoint me with oil. Also Catholics and anyone who doesn't run around and fall on the ground worshipping isn't a real Christian and is going to hell.

> priest (Anglican)

The cuck religion

I hit the toilet to make more room for the meal. :)

kek. The evangelical south everybody! A pentocostal church on every corner in the grand exalted state of Mississippi.

As a herpetologist, I joined one of them a few blocks away to see what species they used and where they were collecting from. Of course, they're very wary of outsiders, but I'd studied 3 years of Mandarin at university, so when everyone started speaking in tongues, I was pretty convincing. I even went on a few collecting excursions, primarily Crotalus adamanteus and Crotalus horridus. Strangely, I never saw one of them bitten. Even in their maniacal dancing and handling rituals, they managed to keep from being bitten. As a scientist, I would never risk it and there are documented cases of the Pentocostal handlers being bitten and dying.

Are you talking about snake-handlers? That's more of an offshoot. He doesn't do that and neither does his church or any I've ever been to

My family are Quakers so when I'm home we take ~30 seconds of quiet mediation before a meal.

I have 4 brothers and 3 sisters, if 2 or more are not present at a meal time we usually just eat and do w/e. If we are all present we wait til everyone is seated to start. Then we start spitting venom at each other to vent and it's fun.
Luckily we aren't all home often so the ritual is rare

Really? Seems rather unusual since the Pentocostal faith is founded on this verse:

"And these signs shall follow them that believe: In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues. They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. (Mark 16:17-18)"

You sure you were Pentocostal and not milquetoast Baptist or Church of Christ?

My family never prays, but every time my grandparents are over my grandpa always prays. He just says whatever he is feeling under his breath while my grandma mutters "yes jesus" and "praise jesus".

snake handlers are jungle pentocostals, look it up

barely a percentage

You would make Jesus proud.
God bless your family.

I think it's a Lutheran thing

>grandma mutters "yes jesus" and "praise jesus".

kek

So, its just when having dinner. Even some crap tomatosoup, !thank thee oh lord my shiny ass!

kek. Visit me down here in Mississippi, and I'll show you Pentocostals that did it today. Since that's the past, come another Sunday. Do your own experiential research and observe it. Otherwise, stfu. It is not uncommon if you're accepted as a tongue speaker. Granted, it's insular and you have to fit in to observe it. They do not demonstrate to outsiders.

No. Depends on the person though. For my family, at every evening meal in which several family members are present. It's a spiritual and philosophical acknowledgement of the grace to be alive and present with family and friends. It's hard to fault people who express appreciation of being alive. Food sharing is a natural opportunity to do this.

It's not a meme, my burger loving friend. If you don't believe me, go mumble your "ez just 4 kids" rhyme-prayers in a church/household anywhere else in the world and enjoy the friendly looks you receive.