Any other books with similarly perfect, unforced?

Any other books with similarly perfect, unforced?

Prose

Never read Stoner but Lolita is of perfect, unforced

Prose

Prose?

Prose.

The prose of Mrs. Dalloway flows pretty effortlessly imo.

>Forced
This is one of those nebulous cop-out words used by plebs. Much like words such as "soulless" or "flow," or any other bullshit buzzwords that blatantly telegraph that a person doesn't know how to articulate their opinion.

Butcher's Crossing has arguably better prose.

Whenever people call this the perfect novel i always feel like yea sure its perfect but its not a massive attempt or a push for something new, its perfect in the same way a dice is, its not hugely ambitious, not to get too Amalfitano here but the greater works even with their flaws just impress me so much more. Praising this as perfect is like prefering a completely round boulder to the Venus de Milo.

>"a dice"

kill yourself

>Nabokov writing perfect, unforced
I'm no expert on him, but having recently read Pale Fire, I find that difficult to imagine. That book was the definition of purple.

Prose

Have you ever read something where you noticed that the person who wrote it unloaded 2 dollar words into every sentence that didn't seem to represent what was being said, or someone whose prose is so needlessly discursive that it takes away from what is being said? Although pomo authors have made this type of prose their stock-in-trade, is still an observable phenomenon in writers carrying on careers today.

It can also be referred to as turgid, verbose, florid, loquacious, circuitous, hyperbolic, phony, etc., and you can rest assured that it is a thing. Some authors can make it work without their art suffering. That's not to say all literature needs to be austere or simple. But you can tell when an authors prose is forced and their not relying on a literary device to communicate a message or meaning.

Forced prose is something that exists independently of your recognition of it, so you're better off coming to terms with it, or at least acknowledging others recognize it as a thing stated in the realm of ideas.

how the hell did you fuck up that sentence so badly?

>phone poster

g8 quads tho

Prose

I agree, calling something perfect hardly impresses me nowadays.

You're convuluting the line between the economy of an author's prose and it's chemistry with the given material.

"Forced" is a nebulous branding because it can be used about without evidence. You can have any idiot can say "This feels forced!" based on any book, and more often than not, they're completely wrong. It's a nebulous intuition that is based mostly on emotion rather than anything that's on the page or even between the lines. It's just shorthand for "I don't like this."

I guess a case can be made for calling purple prose "forced," but the whole notion of it presupposes that a writer is resisting an urge to write in a way that's natural to them, but even then that could be unture. For example: I love Franzen, but he's not a very meticulous writer on a mechanical basis, that's clear in most of his work, even in his nonfiction. But plenty of people say nebulous things about him like "he's forcing these elaborate sentences!" or even worse, "he's trying too hard!" when anyone who has read more than a hundred pages of his work can tell you with that he just writes that way.

That's not to say that there aren't writers who force themselves to write in a certain way, I wholly agree there are. But to suggest that a writer is can practically exude us into a new context, the material almost notwithstanding of it. Because then we begin the conversation about the writer, and not the material we've been reading.

Tartar Steppe is sort of like Stoner if you were in a frontier outpost and no women around.

Prose!

Yes, we get it, someone once called your prose forced and it still hurts you to this day. Please stop

>I love Franzen
Next time put this at the start so i can disregard your opinion earlier

That's just his style, just because you write purple doesn't mean it's forced

(...)prose(...)prose

Jude the Obscure - go for it, OP.