You fucking what?

You fucking what?

four pages were of actual Epicurus and the other 245 pages were written by some dick head telling us what Epicurus wrote down.

I paid 10 pounds for this shit?

Fuck penguin classics. I didn't buy this book for for some nigga to tell me shit second hand. I don't want his fucking opinion I wanted some comfy theraputic philosophy and instead got some jackoff who likes the sound of his own voice.

I do not reccomend this book at all

Other urls found in this thread:

163.1.169.40/cgi-bin/library?e=d-000-00---0PHerc--00-0-0--0prompt-10---4------0-1l--1-en-50---20-about---00031-001-1-0utfZz-8-00&a=d&cl=CL1.3
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Epicurus was a pussy anyway

t. Nietzsche

>instead got some jackoff who likes the sound of his own voice.

Sounds familiar?

>instead got some jackoff who likes the sound of his own voice.
haven't read this book but i'm pretty sure, that this jackoff spent a lot more of his life on this topic or philosophy then you ever will. so stop being pretentious and read that shit, you might actually learn something.

163.1.169.40/cgi-bin/library?e=d-000-00---0PHerc--00-0-0--0prompt-10---4------0-1l--1-en-50---20-about---00031-001-1-0utfZz-8-00&a=d&cl=CL1.3

go mad brah

I know but I don't want to. Not interested in Atomic theory or whatever, although it is interesting and inspired me to write some philosophical thoughts i was having today about existance; I wanted to cure my nihilism. I have periods of depression, this time because I have no friends.

> interested in Atomic theory or whatever, although it is interesting

im a retard I mean't I didn't pick up the book for Atomic theory

He bought a book and it was lacking in what he sought. That is a valid and reasonable complaint. Stop being such nincompoops

But that's the foundation for their ethics. Why would you buy a book that has anything to do with Epicurus if you didn't want to read about his metaphysics?

Honestly was on a binge for books to fill the void after reading seneca's letters from a stoic. He referenced Epicurus a lot and couped with the fact that the book is titled "The art of happiness", I thought it would help me out of my slump (where I felt like there was no point in anything) , which it did but nothing new that Seneca didn't tell me. However the metaphysics (can I call it that?) was interesting. Have I got it right when I say that every atom is like a tiny existence full of space? So would it be logical to question whether we are in an atom? And so on?

To give it credit, for the first time after reading part of the introduction, I went and wrote some "philosophy" where I concluded that empty space, time and gravity exists independent from our consciousness.

brah, what you want is lucretius. esp the last books, but now you're writing treatise of physics you might like the early books too.

I fell for this exact meme too. Is lucretius any better? Should I get oxford classics version?

>fill the void after reading seneca's letters from a stoic
>help me out of my slump (where I felt like there was no point in anything)
clearly you didn't listen to seneca then lad

> he didn't buy the Loeb classic of Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics instead

have fun in your weirdo hippy cult that will never last

I knew the hypocrisy as I typed but it just is! It's not rational to feel this way yet I do and now I am contradicting myself when I say mere words won't cure me. I feel like shit and it's in my control to fix it but I don't. I'm trying to replace friends but I know I can't; and yet right now I'm contemplating selectively following a piece of Seneca's advice about rereading one book instead of reading a new one, and reading his. Both of their philosophy recommend friends as one of the most important to be happy and I agree with them. This isn't really directed at you but I just buy more books because I enjoy the thought of reading them then actually reading them. That is why I don't use a library (and avoid looking pretentious).

i had it in my basket yesterday, but because I have been putting off finishing the meditations, I won't buy it until I do finish it.

>I fell for this exact meme too. Is lucretius any better? Should I get oxford classics version?
lucretius has one poem, which is coherent and complete and deals with everything epicurean from atoms to falling in lust like the dog you are.

dunno about other translations but i've re latham as translator for penguin classics. good for english readers, because it's a ***prose not poetry*** translation, which means that it's somewhat more explicit than lucretius in latin (uses less obscure phrasing for gods etc) but doesn't lose the basic metaphors. i'd recommend a prose translation really, because there's no way you're getting one in dactylic with the same grace it has in latin.

the penguin classic version i have is well annotated too. oxford will probably match its standard in this case. can't vouch they haven't re-released something mad since, but search by translator and you should be okay

He bought an ancient world text without bothering to compare translations, publishers, or editions; without checking the structure of the text and its critical apparatus; without asking lit or referencing the philosphy googledoc; without knowing the background and significance of the work he read; apparently without knowing or caring about the presocratics which fucking everybody on lit says to at least glance at and acknowledge before going anywhere else.

He deserves exactly this result. I hope his hilarious number of butthurt posts is proportionally indicative of him being totally upset and disappointed, because this is what fucking happens when you read stuff like this without knowing what the fuck you're doing. Spending 1 minute checking the ToC on amazon would have prevented this dogshit thread. Eat shit OP.

>being this dysdaimonic
>in an epicurian water cooler conversation paper review board
whoa there m80

Sorry for you OP, but if it makes you feel any better, there might be more Epicurean stuff forthcoming with the x-raying or whatever of the charred scrolls from the Herculaneum library.

Nietzsche extensively studied my diary desu

>comfy theraputic philosophy
Read Lin Yutang- The Importance of Living

That's why you always check reviews before buying anything you want for more than just throw away discussion . They did the same with Heraclitus were some guy twisted it into a big new age rant.

The only decent popular book on Epicurus is that pinkish book of his fragments.

Thanks to that I avoided a horrible penguin special on Epicurus which was about 95% a guy talking about how much he wants to retire to Greece and how great it is to live there because he was impressed by some old guys he saw there

I wish I was a dead boy living in a dead men's world swish swash weeping in a curl'd position in the corner with my eyebrows furrowed. What the fuck should I do: should I scream, should I shout, should I team up with some dragons and backstab them bitches and snatch up them pearls?

>mfw I used to like Epicurus when I was in HS because I was in my "everything in life is so confusing why do we make our lives so complicated, whats the point to life, why should we have to go through any suffering at all." phase.

Now I am clamoring to be the "Anything worthwhile in your own life and human civilization is only attainable through immense work, pain and struggle." Guy, but I am still a depressed pussy bitch.

kek

>Eat shit OP

LMAO Are you the fucking cuck in the book?

HAHAHA you fucking suck bro

Fuck off Dan

>not getting the essential epicurus
Seriously that and The Nature of Things by Lucretius is all you need for epicurean thought