How astronauts can survive space radiation in a joureney to mars or the moon????

How astronauts can survive space radiation in a joureney to mars or the moon????

Other urls found in this thread:

braeunig.us/apollo/VABraddose.htm
science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2004/22oct_cataracts
nasa.gov/vision/space/travelinginspace/radiation_shielding.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

artificial magnetic field

what about 1969, how NASA protected the astronauts back then???

theres a reason they are all dead now

For the Moon - radiation isn't actually a large challenge, mainly because of the short trip.
For Mars - bring radiation shielding.

braeunig.us/apollo/VABraddose.htm

It only takes a few days to get to the moon and back.

It would be a significant issue for a manned Mars mission. Although far from the biggest issue, which is why you aren't going to see a manned Mars mission in the near (or even medium-term) future.

/thread

Couldn't you just cover the spaceship in lead?

Why cover all of it? Just put a big wide shield on the back of the ship blocking the sun from the rest.

Radiation shielding isn't impossible to do. Did you ever wonder why your Microwave doesn't cook you?

Put a tank of water between the astronauts and the sun and theres no problem

we got one planned dude.

Better yet, carry a small gas planet behind the ship for 99.9999% radiation absorbtion

They simply travel around the radiation, just like dodging a pot hole in the road.

high factor sunscreen

cover themselves in their own shit

This

>Media hyping
>Planning

Who? When? How?

>radiation isn't actually a large challenge,
holy contradictory batman.

its enough that they needed suits to withstand the heat while walking on the moon but im not taking their bullshit either. if i get sunburned just from a beach on a moderate warm day, then it must be fucking tough with no shielding from atmosphere.

>For the Moon - radiation isn't actually a large challenge,
Not really true, they were lucky.
If a solar flare happened while they were on the moon (or simply outside van allen belt) they would just have died there, and probably the whole history of space travel would had to be rewritten.
Such is human psychology.

> psychology

I don't know what the fuck you meant, but I think I'll use it as a meme for a while

I think he meant physiology

I really intended to say psychology, but I was probably too brief.
If the apollo mission ended up in a tragic death on the moon I suspect things would have gone very differently in the way people see space travel.
Maybe we would have stopped manned missions and stuck only with probes, who knows.

Who cares about astronauts' well-being?
They're easily replaceable tools.

They travel during night

surviving isnt the hard part. radiation can be nulled with a range of materials. its mental stability thats the issue

the suns magnetic field is pretty big and ever changing. not nearly as stable as earths. earths magnetic field rebuffs the solar wind and the suns magnetic field. since the suns field is so big and unstable its weaker

the trip to mars might cause some to become erratic. field to field interactions in the brain are known to cause a range of effects. from adjusting neuron plasticity to the "god helm" scenario and the air forces test with concentrated magnetic field burst being fired into a living persons brain which resulted in near death accounts ...

its possible people may lose their shit when the electrical signals in the brain get interference from the magnetic field of the sun. no space ship to date is 100% protected and eddies are only accounted for in sensitive areas like where circuits are

astronauts reported seeing space snakes and ufos in some of the apollo missions

They cant, we never landed on the moon. All space travel is hoax.

what, other than 1969 being 47 years ago?

prove it

God, Sunshine was absolutely the most underrated hard sci fi flick of the last 20 years.

is this true?

Literally this, Musk will stick all the crew/passengers behind it during predicted storms

They were halfway expected to die anyway. Look up Kennedy's mission failure speech, one of the best speeches ever written that never got to be told

The US just would have gone ahead with the next apollo mission except they would have carried a memorial plaque to the fallen astronauts

They are not shielded at all.
>Years after exposure to space radiation, many astronauts' vision becomes clouded by cataracts.
science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2004/22oct_cataracts

>tfw the em drive will make this redundant

Yes, but it would be heavy.
nasa.gov/vision/space/travelinginspace/radiation_shielding.html

Newest materials are often polyethylene, lighter than aluminum but still effective at stopping radiation.

Still need to put it in orbit using a regular rocket.

What is everyone's thoughts on blue origin? I met a structural engineer that works at blue origin last night. He is retiring in three years. He was lamenting that manned flight to mars would not occur while he was there.

You mean the guys who have reused the same rocket 5 times perfectly successfully while musk has yet to do it once?

I think they are bretty gud

He did seem pretty proud of that. He showed me some videos of it. It was quite badass. The three stage rocket they are currently working on is going to really excite people.

Yes, but you couldn't shoot it to space with such weight. Weight is the biggest restricting factor of space travel.