Read dune series expecting some fun pulpy scifi

>read dune series expecting some fun pulpy scifi
>get the most tragic story about future vision I've ever read

Why is this series so underrated? Nobody gives a shit and yet the underlying allegory of space child muhammad looking into the future of Islam and having an existential crisis because the only way to stop it is becoming giga space hitler so nobody ever gets enslaved in the same way again is so fucking compelling.

The subtle behind the scenes manipulation of the benefits gesserit essentially doing tenth level meme magic and social manipulation that you only get if you look for it

The concept of genetic memory being explored to its fullest in a way I've never seen in anything else

The way all these archetypal myth characters are still written like people who just want to be happy with their families but can never have it, and the sheer oppressive tragedy of monarchs destroying the people around them

The insanely in depth realistic picture of future vision that is both inverted and subverted throughout the course of the series

That one weird arc where a girl got possessed by the genetic spirit of a fat gay pedophile and started /ss/ing with a bunch of young guards while turning into a fat slob herself.

Dune thread.

The worms were cool
I left the book at my dad's house and never went back to get it so all I really remember is the kid reciting a prayer to himself and some stuff about giant worms

>underrated

You are on the Veeky Forums board
Know your goddam words.

this is actually a good post, thanks user.

Are you a fucking autist or something?

>OP talks about a book overly memed
>OP says something interesting about it
>HURR DURR R U RETARDED REDDIT!?

Say what you want but dune is basically irrelevant today and it's completely valid to call it underrated.

Most people are only tangentially aware of it because of the absolute botch thst was the lynch movie, and all of the more interesting stuff basically got ripped wholesale and dumbed down in star wars, such as a lot of the imagery and even key concepts, and by proxy the rest of science fiction.

And it's such a fucking shame too because it really is a quality book with lots of science elements that serve the theme of the plot well instead of just being neat what if like most scifi. It's such a great play on the typical hero's journey pseudo religious myth stories all over human history in the same way that Don quixote is a good play on typical knight and chivalry stories. And more importantly, despite the heavy blanket of literary play going on that intentionally makes the first reading of dune very difficult to understand, the humanity of the characters isn't lost. They may be mythical characters, who almost strategically come off in that grandiose yet stilted robotic biblical language no real person would talk in, but the things they experience are just basic human feelings that work really well to ground this story as less of a hero's journey and more of a tragedy masquerading as an epic.

I agree
would discuss but I'm on mobile

wish there were more similar books, i.e. religious allegories in a science fiction environment. only other I think of is canticle for leibowitz

fuck I need to reat it
been pping for too long

its overly memed but alot of people bitch about how it sucks

underrated was the right word to use

You should get a life outside of Veeky Forums and it's its circlejerking 6 anons, because Dune it's WIDELY considered one of the best sci-fi ever written

You should see "Jodorowsky's Dune".

you forgot the last two books where there were sex ninja witches that could reprogram a man's brain during sex by vibrating their turbovaginas at a secret frequency. and then there's that scene where a sex ninja witch tries to use that power on a little boy but thankfully the little boy has had hypnotic protections against vagina magic installed in his brain so he recoils violently from the magic vagina. then it turns out he sex ninja witch only wanted to rape the little boy so that the shock of recoiling from a magic vagina would cause him to remember a past life.

i read it when i was twelve, it was a hoot

No one reads books irl lmao

Is this in Chapterhouse or one of the B. Herbert books?

it's either heretics or chapterhouse, they're blurred into one in my head.

i only ever read the first one of the star wars expanded universe: dune edition books, some prequel about young leto or whatever. it was dull and stupid and not even in a funny way.

Dude there's like giant worms and shit.

Check this out.

What if we are like worms. In the sand.

Deep shit man.

>becoming giga space hitler

I lost too easily there!

Iv only read the first one (which was good) are the others worth reading?

First third is good, the rest is a slog

Is this version worth getting?

Yeah, it has neat concepts, like a lot of sci-fi. I think the problem is that it's just not very well-written on a sentence-by-sentence level (again, like a lot of sci-fi).

This, and a piece of advice: NEVER READ ANYTHING BY HERBERT'S SON. The son is ''cowriting' with a hired hack and it is atrocious.

They are called Honored Matres, or Whores for short. The little boy is a clone Duncan Idaho who was preprogrammed to return the magic vagina with go-go-gadget-dick.

I read it when I was around that age too and I don't remember a damn thing about the later books. Not even the vagina magic.

it's actually a child clone of miles teng that they tried to molest into awareness, not duncan idaho. duncan had reverse mindrape turbosex at some point but i'm pretty sure he was an adult at the time.

Ture, I guess it depends whether we are talking about Murbella and Duncan or Miles Teg's clone. I guess Duncan was young in body but had his memories back at that point. So one boy and one teenager getting turbosex magic vagina. Somehow I imagine that the reverse scenario with super-studs fucking little girls into higher awareness would have drawn more raised eyebrows.

Come to think of it I can feel a novel in there somewhere. Instead of Honored Matres you have Chivalrous Chads enslaving women across the known and unknown universe using their magic dick power.