Do you all make fun of him since he is like the lit equivelent of kurt cobain...

do you all make fun of him since he is like the lit equivelent of kurt cobain? or is it ironic that such a shitty generation produced its own lit giant, so its one big joke? since that generation is so all around shitty? I mean the only damn thing people even care about is that lame suicide passage.

what are you talking about, there is no suicide in the wardine passage, nobody dies in the wardine passage, if you have an original reading of the wardine passage please share

For real?

I think its because he deals generally with existential crisis type things. And he has a large non-Veeky Forums type of following who think they're Veeky Forums because they've read Infinite Jest and Vonnegut.

>And he has a large non-Veeky Forums type of following who think they're Veeky Forums because they've read Infinite Jest and Vonnegut.
he does?
ive literally never heard any mention of him outside of this board

I perceive it to be so, and I like the guy.

>he is like the lit equivelent of kurt cobain
DFW killed himself, he wasn't murdered. Get your facts straight.

People like DFW because many of his essays and short stories (looking at you "Good Ol Neon") are inherently representative of the ironic culture we're involved in. On top of that, Infinite Jest is almost a vaccine against irony so many people who managed to struggle their way through it relate to it in a really personal way.

Suicide also connects him with a lot of people because Veeky Forumsizens feel a pull towards suicide. It doesn't matter about his quality, he's a tortured genius (despite his privileged as fuck upbringing) who killed himself.

He's just not that good at writing desu.

a high school teacher i had mentioned him once, three or so years ago. College bookstores are usually well stocked with 'Consider the Lobster' or another slim collection of his works, sitting beside 'Catch-22' and 'A Confederacy of Dunces'

>lit giant

literally his greatest accomplishments as a writer are magazine pieces.

>It doesn't matter about his quality
Uh, yes it does?

lmao no

more likely you're not good at reading

Do People think DFW was a better writer than Sam Delany?

>ITP: nigger's first attempt at memeforcing still going on

well,,, isn't Dhalgren more complex than Infinite Jest?

>uh...upward inflection?

Fuck off.

... no?

A meme usually happens when someone says something that's inherently so funny or retarded people wanna make fun of it/keep on posting it. So far as I can tell, this, as well as the "Joyce was a scotsman" meme weren't funny to begin with, and aren't when anyone reposts them. IIRC, the Delaney meme started just a week or two ago when someone asked if Dhalgren is harder then some other novels or no, then some people wrecked the novel and called Delaney a hack (which is he is). A normal enough thread, but then some retards starting forcing this totally unfunny meme.

In other words, no, Milhouse is not a meme.

>ive literally never heard any mention of him outside of this board

there was a hollywood studio biopic made about him within the last year. the star was on a popular, long-running US sitcom and Apatow movies, and the costar was the lead in the facebook movie. Not exactly Dicaprio or Damon, but millions of dollars were spent to make it on the premise that DFW's name would recoup the investment. The promotion of the film alone is a lot of mention of him which had nothing to do with Veeky Forums.

It's because Delany is a black man and many white people on lit can't stand the fact that he surpassed Joyce, DFW etc.