Who is the best of these writers

who is the best American writer of these people listed? prose wise in your opinion

the one in the middle, that's why she's the only one with a Nobel

corncob mccarthur

One of these is not like the other.

>that list
>no Pynchon, no Hillary, no Franzen

Actually crying as I laugh.

Definitively Ranked:

DeLillo
McCarthy
Morrison
Roth
Updike

The level of shill here is getting ridiculously obvious. If you want to play the game be more subtle.

>prose wise
I'm not sure what to say, maybe you're just such an idiot you don't know, maybe this is a joke. I'll assume you're an idiot and take pity on you: Toni Morrison is the best writer there, chap.

lets be honest....Toni Morrison is an incredible writer, and i would not accusing her of getting to where she got where she was because of her skin color...but it does play a role in her more positive reception (Noble Prize) the liberal academic darlings vs. an american white male a bastion of privilege, lets be honest

Updike, cuz he's dead

You think I won't take that (You) just because you're being disrespectful? You really think that I'll leave that (You) on the floor for nobody to pick up? You're wrong, my friend. This (You) and me - not I, but me -, this (You) and me, we're going to *Disneyland*.

I think Morrison is the only one with mass appeal.(not to imply that her accessibility sacrifices depth)
McCarthy's prose isn't widely appreciated. I love it for the same reasons that many hate it. A lot of people find it to be too biblical and wordy.
Delillo even at his most acclaimed (Underworld) isn't widely known, he's also pretty niche.

I think Morrison is just better than Roth and Updike, I'm not into that. But she's the only one one the list who's work can be approached and appreciated by all walks of life, there's a definite advantage there.

But to answer your question, McCarthy.

agreed...McCarthy has the deepest prose of all listed

>prose wise in your opinion
you're missing a hyphen and a comma, ya fuckin' dip.

just answer

Ok

It's either Morrison or DeLillo. I would probably go with Morrison, though not to sell DeLillo short.

The negress. Song of Solomon is a masterpiece and better than anything those hacks have written.

How do you put Morrison over Mccarthy..his prose is much more ambitious than Morrison's

better than Blood Merridian...I doubt it

>How do you put Morrison over Mccarthy

Because it's fairly easy to rate a quality writer who's cherished and someone who isn't cherished. McCarthy is not as talented as Morrison but he isn't particularly gut wrenchingly bad as people here make him.

That said don't over inflate his contributions to literature, they are just as they appear.

Do you think Morrison is the greatest living American author?

this is actually pretty dang good

No. Did I ever suggest that. Was that the question.

Are you just pissed off the better cherished author with universal acclaim happens to be a black person who's also a woman who happens to write better prose than McCarthy.

That I obviously have to be gushing over everything she is to just agree with the universal consensus

Pynchon is a fucking joke.

She is no James Joyce...

and plus alot of her "fame" has to do with a black woman and the content that she writes about makes the liberal academics blush

Morrison is cleverer than McCarthy, but otherwise I'll agree. Dellilo is a based god, and Updike is only popular due to pretentious perpetuation.

Nice spoiler alert, assfuck.

>and plus alot of her "fame" has to do with a black woman and the content that she writes about makes the liberal academics blush

It's a conspiracy basically is your defense.

That's not an argument. You have to argue coherently why your opinion is more valid than quite literally everyone. Even DeLillo has better prose.

Which is not saying McCarthy is awful.

You need to understand things aren't make or break or black and white.

>She is no James Joyce...

What are you babbling about? the person you responded to never mentioned Joyce, and he hasn't been a part of the conversation at all until you brought him up. Are you just diarrhea posting because you don't like people liking Morrison?

And no one is James Joyce other than fucking James Joyce.

Joyce has better prose than Her...Hermann Melville is a greater author to her as well

Where did I say that wasn't true. Surprise they're also better than McCarthy.

No I don't hate Morrison..but there is a tendency to prop up black authors especially when their compared to "privileged white men" among liberals....even white liberals

hell just look at hollywood and how every slavery movie is always in the running for best picture at the oscars regardless of quality

Are you autistic? we're talking modern authors here.
Also, stop using ellipses you over dramatic memeboy.

what about Morrison vs. Pynchon

who is better?

>No I don't hate Morrison..but there is a tendency to prop up black authors especially when their compared to "privileged white men" among liberals....even white liberals

There's also a habit of ill read and unprofessional internet people to not only use ellipses improperly, but to also bring up that because the person isn't a race I like or sex I like everything they like must be a conspriacy.

It's usually annoying to everyone who actually gives a shit about talking about the authors, as it starts a shit flinging contest over it either being an Us v Them narrative or that it tries to separate their work from available conversation.

Basically you're shilling.

Clever maybe. But McCarthy's prose is far deeper and more dynamic as a whole. It's ugliness incarnate. There's no other that writes like McCarthy can. Nobody.

ok.....Morirson is the greatest writer of all time....Shakespeare, Milton those idiots are n o where near her levell.lllllllLLLLLL

are you happy ow

>arguing over prose
This is like arguing over attractiveness. Prose is purely aesthetic, and therefore subjective.

That is exactly what I said desu senpai

>who is the best American writer of these people listed? prose wise in your opinion
>prose wise in your opinion
>prose wise
>in your opinion
>prose wise

That was what the thread was asking. Are you sure you're in the right thread? Did you mean to reply to OP?

Not to whom you replied, but I'll be perfectly honest, I've only read All the Pretty Horses. I didn't find much worth in reading it.

>let's decide what sounds prettiest

Did you mean to reply to OP?

Yes. My bad.

i enjoy morrison a lot but mccarthy ain't a hack m8

No shit

please get a trip so I can hide you, Um Fammer Lammy.