Is this board actually smart and cultured?

Is this board actually smart and cultured?

Sorry, I don't have time to lurk.

- /mu/ is about music but they only talk about pop and hip-hop like Animal Collective and Kanye West

- /tv/ is about cinéma but they only talk about superhero flicks and HBO

- /g/ is about technology but they only talk about video cards and smartphones

I guess what I'm saying is that a lot of boards' userbases aren't really well-versed in their own supposed fields of expertise. Is Veeky Forums different? Do you have good taste, or do you read the equivalents of Animal Collective/HBO/smartphones (David Foster Wallace, James Joyce, etc.)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/forms/d/1CsWoyvBApavqZl6OaOQI_25t9CZIc-uVufZ_-In2YEw/viewanalytics?usp=form_confirm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Alter, ich wette du bist nicht mal Scheffelpreisträger, schraub mal deine Ansprüche zurück.

Anime's not allowed here you child

>anime's

Thing is, op, this board swings to extremes. You'll find intelligent questions and thoughtful answers interspersed with juvenile insults and discussions about slash-fiction level "literature".

As far as your equivalents, you'll find endless posts about DFW, Lolita, Dostoevsky, and surprisingly, Stephen King (mostly beat-down threads).

For the most part, I've had some good discussions with my fellow Veeky Forumsers and picked up some solid recommendations. But this place is a mine field. Or a cow pasture. Just watch where you step.

>hating anime on a Cantonese image board

Get a grip freak.

>you'll find endless posts about DFW, Lolita, Dostoevsky, and surprisingly, Stephen King
Wow, sad. Thank you for letting me know that this board is not worth my time.

>Is this board actually smart and cultured?
no. now get out

But /mu/ is the only board were you can't fake knowledge. You can bullshit your way through "serious" discussion on Veeky Forums with memes, but they know you're an idiot the second you open your mouth on /mu/ because they GET music.

Dumb poster.

>the equivalents of Animal Collective/HBO/smartphones (David Foster Wallace, James Joyce, etc.)

You're joking right?
/mu/ is the board that memed Death Grips into popularity

trolled hard

ok

They're good enough to get popular by their own merits. You don't get a world tour out of memes.

That girl has a very nice butt for being so skinny.

It's all relative. Being the best turd doesn't change the fact that it's still a turd. But I don't know any better places for online literature discussions.

>tfw never seen mcride live
why even meme anymore

I doubt they'll ever get big enough to make it to my town. Feels bad.

Try looking through the catalog and see how far you have to scroll to actually find discussion of literature,

>is this board actually smart and cultured
This place is /tv/-tier for literature.

I'd say this board has more people who study their form of media on an academic level, at least. From our last major survey:

docs.google.com/forms/d/1CsWoyvBApavqZl6OaOQI_25t9CZIc-uVufZ_-In2YEw/viewanalytics?usp=form_confirm

At least 20% of the board is a college graduate, in graduate school or done with graduate school. It didn't specifically ask how many have degrees in literature, but it seems to be a good percentage.

If you are from /mu/, /tv/ or /g/ then ree, get out etc.

But to answer your question, Veeky Forums sticks mostly to the Western Canon. Veeky Forums memes are like reverse memes; saying Joyce is a meme is the meme. Anyone who is seriously into literature knows are respects Joyce, Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Gogol, Kafka and so on.
On /mu/ people think you're cool for listening to Death Grips and irl people might think you're retarded, but on Veeky Forums it's the opposite because this is one of the only places someone would shit on you for liking someone like Kafka. Any serious read would have read or heard about Kafka irl and would at least respect him even if they personally didn't like him.

/mu/ just like obscure pop music. Veeky Forums reads people who are the literary equivalents of Bach, Mozart, Stravinsky and so on.

I saw a guy on goodreads talking about how he absolutely hated Kafka.

It's cultured more than the other boards you listed. But not as a whole really.

nope. its same 10 people posting about same books.Thinking they are smart because they read shit like The Brothers Karamazov

I imagine Veeky Forums is (slightly) older and more educated than most other boards

Expecting serious discussion on websites that require no barrier for entry is doing it wrong.

Get into a master's program where everybody has their financial future on the line. Hang out in your local arts scene where the gatekeepers working at theaters and galleries help filter out the shit.

Come here to shit post and actually get a life you fucking idiot.

>Hang out in your local arts scene where the gatekeepers working at theaters and galleries help filter out the shit.
Whoa how do they do that?

brahs...

I WANT to FUCK that girl

If you're trying to be an artist, actor, musician, or any sort of artist that requires no formal education than you'll spend plenty of time creating relationships and paying dues. I know a comedian who collaborated with dancers and acted as an MC at burlesque bars and cabarets. Eventually he got his own showcases at a couple venues and he can decide who he puts up in his neighborhood.

You've got to prove to him you've got enough material to confidently fill fifteen minutes and the chops to handle a typically drunk crowd.

stopped reading at the mention of /mu/.

I'm sure that person had reasons though. It's not the same as "lol you listen to Death Grips! I bet you go on /mu/, you faggot"
I knew this girl who thought math was useless. She was just really dumb.

If a person hates Kafka, that's just their opinion. If they can't understand why people like Kafka and don't at least respect him, then they probably aren't into real lit or are just stupid.