I'm good with math, computers, logic, and even linguistics, so I've always figured I would be good with programming...

I'm good with math, computers, logic, and even linguistics, so I've always figured I would be good with programming. Not as a job, but as a hobby. But no beginners tutorials I've ever looked at caught my interest. They always amounted to
>type this to make plain text appear
I've also got no clue what language to learn and don't know what any of them are for. Anyone have a good place to start?

Other urls found in this thread:

gen.lib.rus.ec/search.php?req=python games&open=0&res=25&view=simple&phrase=1&column=def
cs50.harvard.edu/
medium.com/@javier_noris/an-outline-to-learning-to-code-in-1-year-572a1a78fa62#.xtmdv95wu
csfieldguide.org.nz/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

get a python game book so you will not get bored

get this programming shit off my board REEEEE

Do you have any recommendations or places to look?

I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone that wants to get into programming. Write a web scraper to monitor things you like. Then keep making it better.

gen.lib.rus.ec/search.php?req=python games&open=0&res=25&view=simple&phrase=1&column=def

>beginners tutorials

Get a fucking book on C++ and read it.

mit's 6.00 intro to computer science video lectures are on youtube, covers python and gives you a pretty good idea about the main ideas of computer science

harvard's intro to comp sci is a smattering of different languages. THeres alot of materials avaliable but the lectures are heavy on theatrics and thin on substance
cs50.harvard.edu/

Web scraping is soul destroying and usually against tos. Web services are horrible too, even if you're using ruby. In static languages the development cycle is horrifyingly slow.

You need that plain text to learn patterns, algorithms and everything else to be a good programmer.

But if you just want it as a hobby, you can pick something more fun.
If you want to make games you can try LOVE, it's very easy and nice. Unity is powerful and you don't need to program much in it. Javascript is a pretty bad language, but you can use it to make simple web games.
Nice way to learn some programming and do something actually useful is making a homepage. You can make various things in it, RSS readers, notepad, maybe even IRC client.

Learn javascript, its easy for beginners and you can do so fucking much with it. You wont be able to make AAA game engines, but pretty much everything else.

Honestly kill yourself

start here learncpp.com/#Chapter0
try to make some little projects here and there

Do the problems at projecteuler.net

They're pretty simple and fun.

Also, this should be on /g/

>waaaah it's boringgggg

You don't belong on this board. You are weak. Us Veeky Forums folk have dedicated our lives to doing boring-ass shit, like unironically reading mathematics and physics textbooks outside of class, or performing chemistry experiments. Get out while you still can, mortal.

>founding that boring
Lol pleb

Are you saying reading mathematics textbooks is boring?

well here is the thing, every introduction to programming almost always starts with teaching you how to print out something on screen, cause it'll be the only way for you to see what the fuck is happening at first. and itll be a core tool at the start to actually check on whether something you wrote does what its supposed to.

On the topic of language I'd say there are two things to consider: How much do you want to use what you learn to immediately build something (I'd recommend some kind of scripting language there) versus how much do you just want to learn about how programming actually works (and then I'd start with C).

Also there can be an argument to start with functional programming, especially if you're coming from a math background - but it would be the more unusual approach. If you want to, pick up Haskell and go through a basic intro book there (like Learn you a Haskell)

So I've got a convective heater. Say, given one setting, I wanted to write a program to turn the heater on and off to maintain a certain temperature a certain distance away from the heater. What would I need to learn to do this?

I'm guessing thermodynamics. I'd probably need to determine experimentally the amount of "heat", or whatever, the heater produces in a certain amount of time in a given setting. Then there should be some way, if you know the ambient temperature and a certain distance from the heater, to determine how often you would need to turn it off and on to maintain a constant temperature a certain distance from the heater. Imagine if you had more than just on and off, but could control the degree of heat. What then?

So, I'll need basic physics, some programming. Does "control theory" have anything to do with this?

basic input/output and interfacing with devices. the main question id ask would be how you plan to interact with the heater though.

how about you just use a thermometer ya dingus.

CS major here, I'll write the function for you (in C++ masterrace)

void pumpUpTheHeat(const std::string& temp)
{
double temper;
temper = temp.ToDouble();

if (temp < 70)
temp++;
else if (temp > 70)
temp--;
else
std::cout

There's a little switch you flick up and down if all you want to do is turn it off and on. I'll ignore the dial. I'd need to figure out how to set up a mechanical system to move the switch up and down I guess.
So far I've been relying on my own sense of comfort/discomfort, which is bad because I spend more time than necessary in the sweaty, discomfiting stage. I guess I could do something with a thermometer that informs me exactly when I should turn it off and on, but I want to know how I could automate the process.

I think I'll try to figure it out after the semester is done. I've been ignoring fun problems like this for too long.

But basically, given two states, on and off, with a certain "heat radiated" h for on and 0 for off, a distance d from the heat source, and an ambient temperature t, can you find out how often to switch between on and off to maintain a temperature within some margin at distance d?

You retard, you didn't account for distance from the heater at all.

You need to go through some boring beginner tutorials before taking on a more interesting project. It's like learning spelling before you can do writing as a hobby. Not everything is immediately gratifying.

i'm not saying look at the thermometer and turn it on and off yourself, I'm saying build a system that turns the heater on or off depending on the current temperature the thermometer is recording.

Well the heater doesn't have a thermometer.

I feel like I'm getting baited here so I'll stop replying.

Lol I'm retarded. I guess I could hook it up somehow.

But is it possible even without a thermometer, if all you knew was the heating rate of heater and the ambient temperature?

Would you also need to know like, a "leak rate", that is, the rate at which the system will 'punish' deviation from the ambient temperature?

I think he means, buy a thermometer.

For example if you stick an xbox in a wooden box and play some game that shit will get a red circle and shut down to prevent you from frying the electronics, even though the original ambient temperature in the wooden box vs outside is the same, what differs is the rate at which deviation is corrected. I'm sure there's terms for this shit I'd know if I ever learned physics. I guess it's time to learn.

Bumping for this. Yes, sci I wanted to know which is the best way for being great computer science from a mathematical standpoint since cs is a applied mathematics, right?

y u tryna sound smart boi?

Python is fairly loose and not too strict. Good entry to programming. It also has TKinter which is alright intro to GUI stuff.
Java or C/C++ if you're looking for something more rigorous.

Just search "URI online judge" on google. If you're as smart as you say you'll like it.

no it is not you faggot
cs is a huge field
if you want to be a web programmer you need zero math
you can self learn in six months
see here
medium.com/@javier_noris/an-outline-to-learning-to-code-in-1-year-572a1a78fa62#.xtmdv95wu
csfieldguide.org.nz/

now if you want to code controls software for boeing
or want to write real time trading software for jp morgan
them you will need a traditional cs education
cs has nothing to do with languages
the whole curriculum can be taught in pseudo-code
see pic above for books
although this is math heavy for most cs people
mit ocw is you friend for rigor

>cs is a huge field
>you can self learn in six months

umm...

Not him, but dude, just READ.

How hard can it really be? Just READ.
READ what he said. Just READ IT.

Dont start "fillin in" with your brain, just READ.

Engifag here,
Honestly, if you only want to control an On/Off device, based on a "feeling" of heat, you don't need to program anything.
Just get a temperature sensor that outputs voltage, a relay and just build an analog trigger for it.
Put a variable resistor in it to regulate the desired temperature. It'll be cheaper and easier than trying to make it electronic.

if you want to be a web code monkey you massive faggot

>pirate state of Napoli
And I love it.

Read the C programming language by kernighan and ritchie and do ALL the exercises. Then learn any other language you want, look at other peoples source code for smaller programs and start making your own stuff.

Thanks for these book suggestions and advice user.