Finally get around to reading Shakespeare

>finally get around to reading Shakespeare
>already there are several historical inaccuracies within the first scene of the first act

Does this get any better?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anachronism
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>historical inaccuracies
Who gives a shit lad.

>Reading shakespeare for historical accuracy

It was the 1600s

Who gives a shit lad.

>muh historical accuracy

What play?

If he wrote historically accurate, the royalty would have had him exiled.

dont read it, read some game of thrones and enjoy life mofo. who cares about what some idiot wrote 2000 years ago?

>Does this get any better?
its shakespeare, of course not. the british like to think so, and so do the schools, but his works are no better than something like don quixote.

6.8/10 Bait

Me

RIP harambe ;-(

>TFW you're too autistic to enjoy Shakespeare

>Reading Shakespeare for historical accuracy.

You know what else is historically inaccurate?
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anachronism

I want to pep that rangotango

It was the 1600s, and some of his plays were written to appeal to the royalty's sensibilities. The simple fact of Shakespeare is that you're reading it for his superb understanding of both our language and of the human condition.

Shakespeare understood what it means to be human - what we want, what we care about, how we treat each other, etc. in ways no writer had gotten close to. I won't make an argument for after, but his work surely still stands up, and the way he wrote about the interactions of people forever changed writing. Go read plays from a century before Shakespeare and you will understand.

In Shakespeare? No. In any story about "one great/tragic man"? No.

You should read yourself some Sophocles, user.

*I*

I have read Sophocles.

I think Sophocles is actually a wonderful example of the building blocks of Shakespeare, but I also certainly think Shakespeare did something for western culture that Sophocles did not.

It's no coincidence that some of Shakespeare's greatest plays reference Sophocles.