What's the earliest you ever gave up on a book?

What's the earliest you ever gave up on a book?

Me? Pic related. Page 5.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_Only_It_Were_True
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i read the first paragraph of madness and civ, instantly knew i was too dumb for it

The Iliad, when they described something as ruddy
I dont like that word
Was the first page or so

Brékkek Kékkek Kékkek Kékkek! Kóax Kóax Kóax!

Page 1

I dropped Neckbeardmancer during the sex scene in chapter 2.

what is this semon demon?

Meatphysics. The author makes art from toys as well.

why did you give up during this part?

is this the literary equivalent of a James Ferraro album?

I usually stop reading in the first couple pages. It's not uncommon for me to stop on the first page, like I recently did with DeLillo's Underworld. I guess I thought more people did this regularly? Once a friend told me that she hated a book from the beginning but still planned to finish reading it, and that didn't make any sense to me.

Something has to be fucking great to keep me going farther than the first page or two. So I mostly stick with the classics because they are more reliably great than contemporary literature. I can't remember the last time I made it to the second chapter of a contemporary novel...

I gave up upon the cover

>It is Alice committing her Tampax to the trash.

This is just schizophasia.

pretty weak bait, 3/10

What's wrong with Nessie, a killer whale, and a red beret catching a swordfish?

Lol I wasnt baiting. Because it takes so much for me to get into a book, I normally start reading books at libraries or standing in bookstores. It would be wasteful to buy books when you read the way I do

it looks like moby dick

You should write a letter to Mr. Homer so he gets your feedback

yall act like this is any different that Jizzm Joyce or Anus Schmidt.

Depends if it's a classic or not. If it's a classic, giving up means I'm stupid, not the book. So I tend to continue even if I hate it. Like War and Peace, I pushed beyond page 100 before giving up. (and I still regret it)

I gave up on Hunger by Knut Hamsun pretty fast. It was just ramblings of a man wandering a norwegian city. You could tell it had no intention of going anywhere. Then I took it again, and maybe after page 30, I got completely hooked, now one of my favourites.

Picture is "If only it were true..." by Marc Lévy. I took it because I hate snobs, and in France you had to have an opinion of this historical best-sellar. I thought at worst it would be a fast, easy read. (200 pages with big ass characters, so maybe 50 pages in a big classic)

Well, maybe I'm a snob after all. If there's no style, no big words, no elaborate literary devices, well, it's ok, it's pop-lit. But the guy can barely make a normal sentence. I thought I was reading a pretty bad essay by an 8 year old. How can millions of people enjoy this shit? Make it into a big production movie? It's pretty weird to give up on such an easy read, but I had to. Also I hate stories where everything relies on suspense the whole time, and at the end, either the author gives no answers, or the answer isn't worth the hundreds of pages. I gave up after about 50

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_Only_It_Were_True
>The novel is about the importance of the human soul. At a certain point of his life, Arthur thought his soul was lost. The moment that he is able to feel love again, he also finds the power to face his past (which isn't pretty).
>After the body was returned to the hospital, Arthur and Lauren realized that their time together is ending. This is when they grasp the concept of carpe diem. They spent every possible second together, making the most out of every shared moment.
In 2005, the sequel to If Only It Were True was published, entitled Vous revoir. No official English translation has been published yet.

I was prepared to give it a chance until the meme magic

lmao giving up on war and peace, even redditors do that.

dozens of aristocrats scheming in an antichamber to get an old man's inheritance, for 150 pages?
well, yeah, it killed me.
hope you enjoyed it.

>dozens of aristocrats scheming in an antichamber to get an old man's inheritance, for 150 pages
that doesn't sound awesome to you? differ'nt strokes, i guess

maybe I read too slowly.
sometimes in the beginning of a book, especially long ones with many characters, it's hard to tell what to focus on.

Started reading Altered Carbon and realised I'd made a huge mistake after about ten pages

Did you at least get to the party with the bear on a leash?

I don't ever recall giving up on a book. Although right now I am reading Anna Karenina and I am REALLY planning to give up on it. I can't give a rat's ass about the story of Anna and Vronski and I'm tired to slog through them to get to the more interesting stories. (I'm at the part just after Levine's marriage).

>antichamber
full of antimatter, no doubt.

2 lines into my own diary desu

Seriously? How have you never given up on a book? What do you do when you realize a book is shit? What if you don't like it? Why don't you stop? Why torture yourself when you could be reading better things with your time?

Unless everything you read is Tolstoy-tier, in which case I understand why you'd never hate a book. But that seems statistically unlikely.

Sometimes even before seeing the cover or knowing the title when the author is female.

Funny you say that cause a Tolstoy book is the first one I am considering dropping.

Kek me too. That scene was so annoying, I quit after it even in my second reread.

>Maman--
>Once upon a time and a very good time it was there was a moocow coming down along the road and this moocow that was coming down along the road met a nicens little boy named baby tuckoo...

>essayer de lire marc Lévy
Chapeau user. That's commitment. And trying to explain how shitty it is to the brits, too! Doing God's work.
>No official translation has been published as of yet

Kek, I wonder why that is

He's French, I'm sure you can let one blunder pass

>not liking Joyce

Peasant

I'm about to give up on Confederacy of dunces.

Please tell me it gets good, I'm around the 70th page and it's just cringe so far, not funny in the least

Aristophanes was a hack