What are some cliches that should be avoided for the post-apocalyptic fiction genre?

What are some cliches that should be avoided for the post-apocalyptic fiction genre?

Other urls found in this thread:

wipp.energy.gov/picsprog/articles/wipp exhibit message to 12,000 a_d.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

There was some good answer to this before. Try warosu.

Read this
wipp.energy.gov/picsprog/articles/wipp exhibit message to 12,000 a_d.htm

Research it.

bad writing

Holy....... I want more..

I think a big cliche with post-apocalypse settings is that they're always shown as ruinous, decayed and desolate wastelands.

All of em duh

That's actually a pretty good point. I gave 12 Monkeys a rewatch yesterday and the idea of mankind not dying due to a nuclear holocaust but to a virus and nature reclaiming the planet is a nice idea.

Post-apocalyptic scenarios could, for example, involve giant rainforests never seen before.

Or, let's say, earth is shattered by a series of earthquakes and new, gigantic mountains are born within years due to the displacement of tectonic plates, with mankind forced to dwell in tiny, isolated valleys.

Military equipment

Just in general Mad Max Fallout shit. Roving bands of freaks, absolutely no order (because I guess people that live in shitholes have to live in literal anarchy).

>virus = nature reclaiming the planet
>what are some cliches; tell me so that I could AVOID THEM

/r/writing walks into a bar...

you know the rest, so I'm not going to write it out because that would make it a CLI
CHEEÉE

what's the problem? What I said is nothing new but still better than the 1000+ scenarios involving a nuclear winter.

what?
no, what I was trying to say is that a) cliches are not your enemy, you just need to bring a fresh twist to them, and b) scientifically speaking I'm not so sure that a virus breakout is something you could call nature (biology) reclaiming the planet since they come from space 'n' shiet

I get what you're saying but just to clarify, Fallout 1 and 2 actually have small governments and settlements trying to rebuild society and it isn't a total anarchic desolate wasteland like in Fallout 3

I didn't mean that the virus itself represents nature. In 12 Monkeys some loony scientist sets it free. Only after that nature reclaims earth. Still a nice touch to the usual apocalyptic scenario.

And sorry for the misunderstanding, user. Not a native english speaker and sometimes irony goes over my head.

>In 12 Monkeys some loony scientist sets it free. Only after that nature reclaims earth.
shit, then it actually makes sense. sorry for meming you lad

actually all of the fallout games (excluding 3 because its horse shit) concern themselves with the rebuilding of society, see: new vegas and the big decision the player has to make on its governance

A nuclear apocalypse. Be original for once.

Oddly enough I think Fallout New Vegas worked itself out of the cliche quite well, I really thought Avellone and Sawyer were going somewhere with the Burned Man and the whole Mormon community of New Canaan.

Avoiding cliches won't automatically make your writing good

The idea of a "post-apocalyptic" setting is inherently retarded because it's a boring way of cheapening the idea of eschatology.

Don't fall for the

>muh cannibalism meme

Don't fall for the nonsensical "men will respect women's ownership of their own body" meme. When shit hits the fan massive rape is always the case, the only reason women are deluded in thinking they have any power is that there is an police force of armed males protecting them from violence.

The worst cliche of the post-apocalyptic fiction genre is the the post-apocalyptic fiction genre.

Lack of though with economic and social order.

I ignore lots of thing if the author tells me to ignore them, a lampshade is worth a lot in my opinion. And understand cliche do not equal bad.

But supporting stuff like everyone eating nice big bowls of fruit in a desert. Or radiation killed nearly everyone, yet none of the survivors deals with radiation decontamination. Or human sacrifice is a thing, but there is not even folk lore on why this became a thing despite it being the complete opposite of what was done before. Or ...

Basically just ask, how can this be?
If you can't think of a halfway decent answer then I say think harder or cut it.