Making gravy using cornstarch and water instead of flour and milk

>making gravy using cornstarch and water instead of flour and milk

Do Canadians actually do this?

Instant gravies are nothing but cornstarch. But if you want to do it right then there's no substitute for dat flour. I usually use stock instead of milk though.

>flour and milk
>milk
user, you absolute mongoloid. I sure hope this is fucking bait. A roux is made with butter. Flour and butter.

Animal fat=butter in this situation, retard

Milk is not animal fat. It's mostly water with trace amounts of animal fat. It does not replace butter.

>europoors actually don't make a roux with flour, fat and milk
This is icewich tier.

Beef drippings are animal fat you fucking retard.

>he does his roux with water in it
>he doesnt know the entire reason to do it with fat instead of just whisking flour and stock together is to allow browning and prevent lumping
>being this american

Why would you put back the disgusting oily shit you skimmed from the broth in the first place?

My gravy always turns out weird. I'm using my great grandmother's recipe of 1 tbsp flour, 1 tbsp fat and 1cup water. I brown the flour then add the butter and stir and finally add in water (or stock if I have it). My problem is it always comes out with only a slight starch flavor. I don't know, maybe I'm adding the water too fast? Thoughts?

You're supposed to melt the fat, add the flour, let brown with the fat, add the liquid, bring to a boil while stirring and then let simmer for as long as it takes for the starchy feeling to go away. How long that is depends on how darkly browned your roux was. A darker roux requires less simmering and adds more of the nutty, candy flavours - but it also thickens the gravy less than a lighter roux.

Thanks user, I'll try that next time. Gravy is pretty much a staple of my diet so I want it decently tasty. I definitely felt stupid browning dry flour in a pan

What a lovely fruit basket

I put one cup of chicken stock on the stove and set it to boil. Then I take one tablespoon of butter and one tablespoon of flour and combine it in a bowl. Next, I add the paste to the boiling stock pot and whisk until mixed. Finally I add the drippings from whatever meat I'm cooking to the gravy. Perfect gravy everytime. Season with salt/pepper

>he does the beurre manie
This is... acceptable. Not as good as a nicely toasted roux, but acceptable. At least it's the classic french cop-out and not the modern cornstarch drivel.

Did you not read my fucking post? Nowhere did I say that I use water.

Because it tastes good, and why would I go and use butter when I have perfectly good animal fat?

Milk is water.

Unsweetened condensed milk is the way to go for breakfast gravy boys. Just try it, you won't regret it.

The water cooks out when heated

Please show me some gravy made with just flour and butter, retard.

Stock is water

>he's refering to bechamel
>calls it gravy
Oh dear lord...

Which does not go into making the roux. It gets mixed with the finished roux once the roux is finished. Being super extra clear since there might be americans trying to read this,

Is roux pronounced "row-oks" or "rewks"?

closer to "roo"

The X is silent.

Read the fucking OP. Nobody cares about your europoor sandnigger trash

So "row-ew"?

No, it's a diphthong.

roh

like when a dog says ruh-roh

lol

silly wabbit, dogs say roux-roux

Just "rew"

Like "jew"

Made a roux in the microwave. Changed my life, man.