I just got home after being given an ileostomy at 22. I have to avoid fibrous foods for the time being. No beans...

I just got home after being given an ileostomy at 22. I have to avoid fibrous foods for the time being. No beans, lentils, wholegrain, oats, fibrous fruit and veg...

And fuck, this is most of my diet. Any tips on how to eat beyond just putting meat on top of pasta and white rice?

Other urls found in this thread:

eras.surgery.ucsf.edu/patient-center/ileostomy/dehydration.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

you a tube on your belly that drains the excrement?

The end of my small bowel protrudes out of my belly
I stick bags over it to contain the unstoppable flow of shit. I have no conscious control of the shitstream.

Speaking of white rice, I was thinking of getting a rice cooker now I'm out just for convenience. I'm still mostly patched together with surgical glue, so anything that reduces effort feels worthwhile.

It looks like these things are expensive as hell in the UK though; I can't find any that look worthwhile. Anyone here have a good one?

I've had an ileostomy for ten years now and i eat what i want, when i want

gross
I'd rather be dead

This.
I honestly can't imagine a more humiliating fate to have to live with.

and that's why you don't play with dragon dildos

What fucked your belly up OP ?

Anyway bread and cheese are your allies. Even with your restrictions the sandwich world is almost endless.

Eat porridge. It's only going to come out the same.

Hang in there op. Are they planning on reversing it?

are you really underage that you didn't know about this?

so, OP is it just avoid fibres for a while then you can?

I knew a woman who had crohns and had a similar diet. She use to eat McDonald's all the time but found it had to gain weight. She loved a salad and a Sunday roast with lots of roasted veg but unfortunately anything she had them she paid for it big time.

I don't really have any food suggestions but sorry to hear about that OP, 22 is really young to have this procedure - hope you heal up soon.

Crohn's. I was getting abscesses that put me in hospital every 2 months for two years, this was the only way to get some kind of life back.

It's /reversible/ - whether my large bowel will recover enough for it to be reversed remains to be seen. My surgeon thinks it's unlikely.

I guess I'll cook bolognese today. I was in hospital for a month, so I keep fantasizing about real food then realizing that I probably shouldn't go for the pepper broccoli cashew stirfry. But yeah, after a month or two, my diet might be more normal. Trial and error affair.

What do you do for water?
(For others, I'm told not to drink plain water - if there's nothing dissolved in it, the water will drain electrolytes that the large bowel is no longer here to reclaim)

You don't value life very much, do you?

milkshakes everyday

So they want you to eat like the average fat American?

Isn't this for people who have chrons?

I think chrons normally develops when people are around 20-24.

My Crohn's developed at 18. But, usually, drugs can control it enough that serious problems that require this sort of surgery don't take place until later in life.

The immunosuppressive therapies haven't been adequately effective in me. And that's a scary thought, because there aren't any other options.

I dunno, why don't you ask a fucking doctor. shitposter.

Trips demand it

I recall an experimental treatment for Crohn's that seemed pretty effective. It involved drinking down a cup of clinically cultured parasites so your immune system would get something to play with rather than attack the intestines out of boredom. Is that something that's caught on?
Your case sounds pretty severe though OP so I guess that may not have been enough.

>implying doctors know anything about either food or nutrition
With an extreme amount of medical experience, I can tell you that this is practically never the case.

US here: you have my sympathies for the operation, I hope the best for you.
I recently bought an Aroma brand rice cooker/steamer/slow cooker. ARC-2000A model, it works well and can be used for those functions, with the ability to steam meat and vegetables while the rice is cooking. It takes longer than normal to steam things, but I recommend it. You can set it, walk away, and it will take care of the rest.
However, I paid $10 for mine at a family owned Vietnamese convenience store, and found out after the fact that they go for $70 American.
I hope this helps you, and wish you the best.

Can you cork it when you're on dates if you fast first?

For me it's always been all or nothing, if I can't have a normal life and have to walk with a shit bag hanging from my insides then I'd rather be dead.

What do you do for water?
(For others, I'm told not to drink plain water - if there's nothing dissolved in it, the water will drain electrolytes that the large bowel is no longer here to reclaim)
I've honestly never heard of this but i mostly drink milk although it goes straight through me

You have to bear in mind that I've spent the last two years constantly going in and out of hospital to have recurring abscesses surgically drained. This is supposed to prevent that. As easy as it is to say "I'd kill myself if I had to shit into a bag" (and I know I spent plenty of time saying it myself), the fact is that quality of life usually goes up after this procedure.

The bag is attached at all times, only removed to be replaced. I think people use a body wrap or something to hide/secure it during intimacy, but thankfully I'm far too pathetic to have problems like that.

Eh, that's just what they told me. I don't drink a lot of plain water either, was just wondering.

Thanks, sounds like a nice find!

To be fair I'd love to have a shit bag, I'd play all kinds of sexy practical jokes with it.

>normal life
>on Veeky Forums
why haven't you killed yourself then?

Having a stoma is great, it's far more convenient than having to take a shit. I don't think i would have mine reversed even if i could

At least you don't have a urostomy too, that shit's black as fuck

I suggest the McChicken with no lettuce, the best fast food sandwich.

My father has had an ileostomy since 1996 and it was a drastic life change for sure but the first year or so is the toughest. He ended up having to change his diet again about 5 or 6 years ago for semirelated health reasons (and due to his age) but now he eats fairly healthy and is in the best shape of his life. His Achilles heel is corn and most mexican foods.

It does make his life a lot better for the most part. He only gets hospitalized maybe once a year now for the occaisional blockage. Even then they usually just keep him a day or two on fluids and he's back to normal.

Crohns is not fun, and neither is an ileostomy, but it isnt a death sentence.

Best of luck, OP.

I bet you didn't when the thing was new, though.
The small intestine will eventually learn to do the work of the large intestine, but for a newbie these rules absolutely apply.

Can you still receive anal? Or does it also have to be done in the stoma?

The rectum is stitched up so that is a no.

Today I learned something new.

My dad said that he has forgotten what it feels like to poop or fart after having his for so long.

Press F to pay respects.

Curry, my friend, curry!

I didn't know that either.

My friends ex has that disease but I'm not sure if he had that procedure. He was always sick so I wouldn't be surprised if he has it by now. I always felt terrible for the guy since he was always missing out and didn't like us changing plans to suit him better.

Sorry to hear that user.

You will gradually figure all of this out. It's sucks, but it's not the end of the world.

The colon is the major place of water absorption so you might want to make sure you get enough fluids and electrolytes.
Here are some pointers:
eras.surgery.ucsf.edu/patient-center/ileostomy/dehydration.aspx

As for veggies, steam or boil them. It makes them easier to digest. A raw carrot might not be the way to go.

Also, you've probably been told this already but foods that creates gas is not ideal now that you've just had the surgery. It can cause you some pain. Stuff like onions, beans and carbonated drinks etc.

Good luck user!

>And that's a scary thought, because there aren't any other options.
I wouldn't worry too much about that user. There are already many drugs currently being developed for IBD.

It's not the same procedure for everyone, and not every Crohn's or Ulcerative Colitis patient needs surgery.
Some have an intact rectum and some have it completely removed. Some have a stoma only for a period of time while others have it made permanently.

I was wrong, it's not about valuing life. It about having a life worth living and fighting for, which you seem to lack.

Feel free to commit suicide at the first irritation.

How about that we're in the exact same boat except I'm 23. Had my op on Dec 1st and they had to re-do it because the surgeon is a fuckup

I've been able to "slowly" (Read: Not slowly at all because I did my fucking waiting) add all but beans so far back into my diet with no issues having come up so far. You have to remember to chew the absolute fuck out of anything fibrous and it'll just end up being tiny bits in the stool, rather than something that could cause a blockage. So provided you can keep that discipline up you'll be fine I reckon, but of course don't just do it because I said it works for me

As for what you can eat now, I honestly really recommend the same sort of diet that I had (PanColitis which may have been misdiagnosed Crohns as they've just discovered, fucking Sussex healthcare) which to be honest was stuff like fruit juices/smoothies for my vitamins, cakey stuff like nice soft doughnuts for my main bulk along with crisps and other processed shit that's normally not recommended, and as for jazzing up food it's worth noting that if your ileostomy has removed any ulcer based issues you may have been having, that you should be able to add spices back into your diet

Also, bear in mind that you have a bag now. Literally far as I'm concerned the only good thing about the damn stoma bag is that we can take little risks without worrying about crapping ourselves on the way to work or whatever. So try bits and pieces of whatever you damn well feel like mate, because right now you're probably feeling down and empty and all in all crap about fucking everything and you damn well deserve to have whatever you want.

And don't let anyone tell you otherwise because your body knows what it wants and needs better than anyone else