>haven't even opened Microsoft Word

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3QetfnYgjRE
pastebin.com/VCjzR9fp
pastebin.com/ZzhZbba8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

youtube.com/watch?v=3QetfnYgjRE

im tripping balls and this video made me paranoid as fuck

Instead of making a new thread let me hijack this one, it's my first time doing an essay in English, it's only a 400 word practice. Can I use quote from the text I'm doing an essay on? If so how often and how should I mark them? I'm asking because I can do it in my primary language and I don't want to mix both.

Just make the periods 72 point

It's common to limit the number of quoted words to about 10-15%.

Insert the author's last name and the page number in parentheses after the quote.

just use chicago style footnotes, and that will cut the length in half

Thank you, so 40 to 60 quoted word. It isn't much but I'll make do.

In this case I'm talking about excerpt from the text I was asked to make an essay on, it's a short story so there isn't a page number, in this case do I just "quote" (author)?

Well if it's just one essay that you're writing about, then you don't need to add a citation within the essay.

good advice
god damn i cant take british people seriously with their ridiculous accents

That takes like an hour under pressure. Like 2 hours if you wanna do it well.

those dub dubs would take longer to get

I'm a law student and I finished a 3k word report the night before AND a 30 minute long presentation. I had no sleep and got full marks on both. Stayed up all night. I got full marks on both. I'm also a high school drop out. If I can do that you can write a 2 page essay with double spacing in a few hours.

>repeating myself

I just woke up but you get the idea senpai

Let's write it together. Topic?

I'm actually game for this, OP.

Give us something to work with.

I had exact same thing due today at 8 PM. Finished in less than an hour. They call me Speedsterguyorthefastestessaywriterinthesevenseaswhoeverlivedintheuniverseofalltimeininfinityandbeyondwithoutareasonibledoubtincollegespic.

Half an hour if you know what you're talking about. I can bust out 4 pages an hour ez pz

I'm not the OP but if you want mine 400 word essay on why the "Tell-Tale Heart" (Edgar Alan Poe) narrator is or isn't insane.

Been years since I've read it, I'll go grab my collection of Poe short stories to refresh my memory. But, off the top of my head, I'd say the man had to be insane. He reads like a psychopath to begin with because he admits the old man has done him no wrong but his evil eyes drove him to kill him. Then guilt makes him paranoid enough to confess in a fit of maddened terror when he never would have been caught. At no point throughout the story is he exhibiting the behavior of a sane person. The fact he has some brief lucid comprehension of the illogical nature of his choices just makes him more insane to continue despite that recognition.

Ok, without googling, I can tell you the narrator was suffering from paranoiac delusions.

Your thesis statement should support the fact that he in fact was insane. You should take up a page just explaining how paranoia works. I would look that up AND REFERENCE the DSM-VI, or V I believe its up to. That could take a page.

Then paragraph by paragraph, pick apart and correlate what makes him insane and your medical references.

Well then you must examine what makes one sane or insane. Describe a scale from most insane to most sane, examine the background cultural assumptions of sanity in different times and geographic locations, and plot the narrator on your scale.

Samefag here.

Then wrap it up, concluding your medical evidence on how he was insane.

If you want to get artsy and creative, role-play as you were a doctor really writing his report to a psychiatric hospital, or a lawyer defending him in court using the insanity plea.

It's that out-of-the-box shit that got me A's, instead of B's. I'm really not even that great a writer.

Fuck essays lads ;-(((

1. Irrationality. He says he loves the old man and only hates his eye. That's an incredibly odd assertion to make.

2. He insists he is sane despite his at least minimal recgonition of this irrational reasoning (i.e. loving the old man.) This is denial and the assertion of his sanity emboldens him enough to pursue irrational action from irrational thought (i.e. watching the old man sleep.)

3. He doesn't harm the old man while he is asleep because he doesn't feel the presence of the evil eye and only kills him when he is terrified into remaining awake so that his eye is open. That seems pretty insane to me.

4. Psychopathy - Incredible hubris to invite the officers to sit down in the room where the murder happened, because he's so assured that he's going to get away with it. That cold, calculated arrogance is a sign of a psychopath.

I'm not sure, what my teacher want is
>Introduction
Thesis statement -> he is insane
Grabber -> I think I went with what the headline of the paper would have been should it have really happened
Arguments -> The obsession with the eye leading to the murder and hearing the heartbeat when it shouldn't have been possible
>Body
Two paragraph
>Conclusion
concluding statement+transition
Repeat arguments

I'm quite bad at taking notes but this is what I have.

This looks great.

You could use a lot of his arguments, elaborate and use your own words.

Make sure you back up your medical references though. Can't walk into this saying, "yo, he killed him cuz his eye so he hear a heart and that shits crazy."

Just kidding.

Start with an outline.
>get the fuck off Veeky Forums (for now)

>Can't walk into this saying, "yo, he killed him cuz his eye so he hear a heart and that shits crazy."

Well, that depends. Is the school Common Core compliant?

Give me ten or so minutes to finish and I'll post it. should I use pastebin or is a screenshot good enough? It's likely going to be awful though.

>Likely going to be awful

Not when we're finished with it.

Not the guy you're replying to, but id be scared to post my essay. What if my professor browses here, or a student does and sees my Essay and uses it.

Here we go, 385/400 word, a single quote from when he doesn't kill the old man because he can't see the eye.
pastebin.com/VCjzR9fp

I'll take the risk, at worst I'll get a talk about plagiarism.

>re-reading
>Repetition everywhere
>Fucking sentence with leftover shit when I changed my mind
Just kill me already

I am this user. I'm not going to write the thing for him, I'm going to look it over and give my (non-expert) opinion.

What grade level is this for user?

Grade? it's English lit I in a college equivalent. I decided to go back to school after half a decade and after an English comprehension test it's where they put me.

Notes in reading:

Paragraph 1: Assignment thesis clear: "narrator is... mad." Should combine last two sentences into a single sentence. Would be strengthened

Paragraph 3: I don't know if it's "impossible" that he heard the old man's heartbeat when the dude is terrified in bed. I think you're better off assuming that he did in fact hear it, but his fixation on it at the time is insane on its own (he can hear the guy is terrified, yet instead of triggering a moral/conscientious response and backing off, the narrator kills him because of it.) You're right to focus on the insanity of the phantom heartbeats, but it isn't merely the SOUND that drives him to confess. Look at it as a manifestation of either his guilt or irrational paranoia (depending on what appeals more to you; is it his buried morality surfacing that drives him to confess or simply another symptom of madness, absent moral impetus?)

Overall:

You set up your thesis (NARRATOR IS INSANE) based on two propositions (UNHEALTHY OBESSESION and HEARING IMAGINARY SOUNDS). All of that is fine, I think you could add IRRATIONAL BEHAVIOR as a third talking point to expand on (inviting the police into the room where the murder took place in particular as an irrationally cocky move to make, also watching the old man sleep and shining the lantern into his face after he had awoken.)

Or worse, expelled

Also, not to be the faggot that talks about big words for the sake of big words, but good use of "visceral." See if you can slip in "hubris" or "hubristic" regarding the narrator's casual arrogance assuming he'd get away with it and getting so comfy with the cops.

I'll rework the third paragraph, other problem is that I don't think that I have the word count for a third argument.

Are you required to keep it under 400 words?

I might be able to go over it a bit I think, hmm I'll see how far it get me then decide.

>humble brag

What grade did you receive on both? I seemed to have missed it in your post. Did you receive a grade on them? If so, what was it?

Do you go to Dulles High School?

No, university

>Oh a volcano in Indonesia
>Looks at the people fucking dying from ash
>Poor things

Version 2, rewrote some things to avoid repetition, did a bit more cleaning, I really don't think I should add a third argument as this sent me over 400 word already.
pastebin.com/ZzhZbba8

Not even difficult. MLA format defeats itself with that whole header thing. That is of course if you're using MLA.

>pastebin.com/ZzhZbba8
There's a lot of grammatical errors throughout the essay that need to be corrected.

I'm aware, I'm more worried about the structure than the grammar. If the structure isn't sound I'll have to redo everything. If it's only Grammatical error that can be fixed.