Get good grades in programming courses

>get good grades in programming courses
>somehow acquire tutoring position at school
>I feel a complete imposter
>mfw most students see me as a code genieā„¢

I feel completely unprepared to program professionally. Also, I suck at math.

>t. brainlet?

Other urls found in this thread:

betterexplained.com/articles/understanding-quakes-fast-inverse-square-root/
h14s.p5r.org/2012/09/0x5f3759df.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>CS
>Can't do math
>No confidence in own ability
No, you aren't a brainlet, you're human. :')

It's all an elaborate ruse for a prank TV show that America has been watching live and laughing at ever since your first day of college.

Nah, you're pretty much a typical CS student

Source: I'm a CS major

Tell us more user

I'm really paranoid that when I start my first programming internship, I'm going to have a rude awakening about everything.

You're experiencing imposter syndrome. You're fine. Your university trusts in your abilities because you've demonstrated them, so you should trust in them too. Use your drive to keep learning and getting better!

kyle what are you doing with your life

Thanks user. I may be worrying about something I don't think is possible to know until I just do it.

Just pretend to teach them useful shit, they could use to pass the course. They will then pretend to ace their tests and your prof will pretend they have passed the course.

cd code
cd..
pwd
cd..
cd ..
ls
cd hs-tdd-sweet-ride-bro-lab-precollege-se1-myfl-072015-1
cd code
cd ..

See, there's a small portion of my hesitation. I used backtrack like once to crack a WEP password, cause I'm a l33t hax0r. But I've never used linux for anything.

It's not that I can't learn it, I just know there's so much left to learn.

Here. One of the few pics I saved from /g/.

Also, a bit unrelated but funny nevertheless.

#KodeWithKarlie

>Macbook

Disregarded, downvoted, and discarded.

Don't worry man, I'm in the exact same boat

About the picture;

Not being familiar with that particular language (as I code for fun and not study), does the code at the left even do the same thing as that on the right? I'm starting to seriously doubt it.

The left is the fast inverse square root function from Quake.

The right just compares two numbers, poorly

>I feel completely unprepared to program professionally

That's because you've never programmed professionally dumbshit.

Now that's just offensive. How fucking stupid is someone if they fucking compare two things that don't even do the same thing, and has features that are in no way correlated?
>inb4 women
Yes, women.

the code on the left is one of the most famous pieces of code, called "Fast inverse square root" which was used in quake III

the code on the right is a few exercises after "hello world"

I'm kind of on the same boat, except I even interned for some place you've definitely heard of for a considerable amount of time.

Now while looking for a job I keep telling myself that I'm inadquate for it, that I should had learnt more about architecture, testing and so on.

We'll never be who we want to be.

Yeah especially because you can make the right code pretty compact/unhelpful

#define max(a, b) ((a > b) ? a : b)

I think part of the problem is job listings always have retarded buzzwords and make the job seem 10x harder than it actually is.

The one on the right means
1) max is a function that takes two inputs and gives one output, both inputs and output are of the set of integers
2) if a < b, the output of the function is b
3) if a > b and b < a, the output of the function is a
4) else return 5

The one on the left is harder to explain. Basically, lighting in video games requires a bit of math to get the correct reflections. For every pixel of reflection, you need to calculate the inverse square root (1/sqrt(n)). But performing the calculation literally is expensive, as this needs to be done hundreds of times in one second.

What the engine writers realized though, is that we can take an approximate estimation based off of a calculus minimization problem, and then use newtons method to refine our guess

>Now that's just offensive. How fucking stupid is someone if they fucking compare two things that don't even do the same thing, and has features that are in no way correlated?
It's pretty obviously satire.
>I'm so random yay :D

>For every pixel of reflection, you need to calculate the inverse square root (1/sqrt(n)).
Why, what does that have to do with reflections? Also what is n? Any further reading on this? I'm not a CS guy so nothing too advanced.

That's quite possible. They say things "You're really smart", "You're an expert at X" and so on. But I don't want to work for someone who says things they don't mean for no reason to begin with.

Nonetheless, I have all these specific cover letters written but none sent because I fear that I'm lying about my abilities even though I took the time to make sure they're factual.

>I fel for the antioxidants meme
pls kys

>else return 5

why would you generate extra bytecode for absolutely no fucking reason

actually, why not just inline the max function, or #DEFINE it like everyone else?

>#DEFINE
wow i'm retarded

That function has to be called every time reflections happen, simply because that's how angles of incidence works. Also n in my comment was the input to a function. The equivalent the the original code is just "number". I just switch back and forth from math to programming, so excuse me for that

I honestly don't know the math behind it too much. But these websites looks like a good resource

betterexplained.com/articles/understanding-quakes-fast-inverse-square-root/
h14s.p5r.org/2012/09/0x5f3759df.html

It's also worth noting that modern cpus have an instruction solely designed for this, so the original code is no longer in use. It's an interesting historical perspective, though

It's not the tweet itself, it's the replies that fucking bugger me.

>open cmd
>color 2
>tree

It's used to normalize vectors

normalize(vector){
sum = 0
for value in vector {
sum = sum + value*value
}
return vector*invsqrt(sum)
}

You're trying far too hard for an obviously fake image.

stick to web programming and you will never need any math

i feel the same. don't worry about it.

except for the math part. i mean, you just have to realize that everybody sucks at math and once you get into a little more practicing the math you need for CS (which isn't usually a lot), you'll feel more comfortable. once you get past that, you'll be fine.

about the programming professionally part: you learn that on the job, not in uni. it's normal. don't worry about it. if you want to make yourself feel better, find an open source project you care about and try to get a contribution in. you'll feel a lot more confident afterwards. full disclosure, though: it might be a bit of work.

i realize that now

the provided sample of reply tweets (obviously intended for ridicule because of their uninformed nature) indicates that you don't understand that both the left and the right are bad code.

Dude, imagine all the books written since humanity learnt to count their genitals, that is not even 10% of the code that needs at this point to be written. there are absolute retards with no sense of optimality that work as programmers after they worked as a dadio-voice (for real) or as a nurse. you will be fine. there is room for everyone. not saying that u are stupid. just saying that you can workk in the field, and if u are a cs u have big chances to be a good programmer:)

radio-voice*

You get better at programming by automating stuff you use in real life, or exploring large datasets for your own learning purposes instead of only doing projects for class.

> If a > b && b < a
Mother of logic...

>on wednesday we code

>tutoring
>program professionally
what? the most you have to do is help first years with their shitty (((scripting))).

THAT IMAGE ALWAYS ENRAGES ME WHEN I SEE IT ON /G/
REEEEE

You even get the exercise solutions from the teaching chair

> if a>b && b

bruh how can you say a > b if you don't verify b < a

baka my nigga your right desu

What kind of programming courses? Are you a graduate?

First of all the post is a joke.

Many languages have "operator overloading" where you can do confusing stuff overloading the meaning of < and > onto types and classes.

The one on the left is a bit easier to understand if you include the comments which the creators of that image removed.
float Q_rsqrt( float number )
{
long i;
float x2, y;
const float threehalfs = 1.5F;
x2 = number * 0.5F;
y = number;
i = * ( long * ) &y; // evil floating point bit level hacking
i = 0x5f3759df - ( i >> 1 ); // what the fuck?
y = * ( float * ) &i;
y = y * ( threehalfs - ( x2 * y * y ) ); // 1st iteration
// y = y * ( threehalfs - ( x2 * y * y ) ); // 2nd iteration, this can be removed
return y;
}

This isn't real.
REEEEE

you know what's the best part? depending on how the compiler works, that shit won't even compile, because it will see that line as

else if(a>true

why is this on Veeky Forums