Canning thread

i'm canning black beans tonight and will post the process as i go

Why of all things would you can beans?

cheaper than store canned
more convenient than dry

it's like the best of both worlds

>more convenient

I mean, I guess so.

Do you at least flavor them up first, or just legit make your own version of plain jane canned beans?

i do baked beans occasionally

today i'm just doing plain jane, more versatile that way

--

i did a quick soak today because this was a last minute decision since i won't have time for the next little while

so i rinsed the beans and put them in water and let them boil for a few minutes, then soak for about an hour

you can also skip the boiling phase and just soak them for at least 8 hours

then i put them in a colander and rinsed them a bit more

apologize now for the shit photography, i can't find the charger for my dslr

there's also a bigger variety of dry beans.. and lugging store cans around sucks ass

--

now i'm boiling the beans again

the pot is ~10 litres

there's ~4 litres of soaked beans and 4 litres of water

probably more water than you'd use normally but it's nice to have some extra for canning so they come out of the jar easier

Do home canned beans at least have a better texture than the store bought version?

They're still sitting in extra liquid for however long until you use them, after all.

yes they are indistinguishable from "fresh"

i think a lot of the bad texture comes from being jostled around during shipping

the beans will now simmer for 30 minutes

meanwhile i just washed 16 500 ml jars which should be more than enough unless my estimates are way off

i cleaned these jars a bit better than i normally do because i just picked a bunch up at an estate sale and some were cruddy

>side note: some were too old to use safely and some of the usable ones date back to the 40s!

Just freeze them?

Not OP, but there's no need to add sodium to canned beans so that will be an immense improvement over the mass produced corporate crap. Take a look at the label on a grocery canned bean - it's pretty ugly for no reason whatsoever.

i feel like it would take as much time to defrost as it would to make them from scratch

also, freezers break and i'd prefer my small one to be reserved for things that actually need to be frozen, like ice

keeping the jars and canner warm

haha LITERALLY thought this said "cumming htread" LMFAO

made me spit my green tea fucking everywhere lol thanks for the laugh sir OP

jars filled

4 litres for processing + 1/4 liter that i'm just going to throw an old lid on and eat when everything's done today

rims are cleaned, lids are on, bands are tight, canner's loaded

let it blow steam for 10 minutes to get any air out

weight is on, now i will let it get to 11lbs and set the timer for 1 hour and 15 minutes

my dog is afraid of the canner and will spend the duration of the process look at me like a suck

Huh, that was cool to see.

thanks, it's fun to do while a babysit the canner

--

here's cost breakdown and comparison, my favorite part!!!

$3.00 dry black beans
$1.33 canning rings
$0.02 water
$1.13 electricity

$0.05/100 ml

worst cheapest wal mart beans $0.16/100 ml
yves organic black beans $0.62/100 ml

forgive me, my calculation was off (it seemed way to good to be true)

mine is $0.14/100 ml

what about botulism?

Stop bumping old threads you penis wrinkle

i'm curious

Not an issue if you're careful when canning and eating.
If the top is popped, ya gotta stop. Rule to live by. There should be a vaccuum hiss of air going IN when you open it, and the lid should be sucked down before you break the seal.