Is this book still worth reading?

Is this book still worth reading?
I'm already familiar with other transgressive literature. I also enjoyed the film, watched it like 5 times.

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20100624060251/http://clatl.com/culturesurfing/archives/2010/06/19/1534716-bret-easton-ellis-talks-film-adaptations-at-scad
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's an OK book. One of the rare books that the movie adaptation is better than the book. Ellis is a cock too so best not to fund his retarded lifestyle.

Yeah, I don't really know much about Ellis, but he seems like a fag hack. Book is only OK, I'd say don't bother.

No. It's an edgelord book for Milo fanboys.

>edgelord

opinion dismissed

Its alright, gave a very insightfull look on how a madman thinks. I would read it if you have nothing else to read.

I thought the complete opposite, the movie was a lot worse in my opinion, and I couldn't enjoy it after reading the book.

But Bale's performance was top notch.

Its funny.

It's pretty good. Read Glamorama after.

/thread

It's fine, it's like the movie but turned up two notches.

This wasn't what it was about.

>This wasn't what it was about.
Right. It can only have one meaning (which - of course - is yours).

Why do people say the whole novel is a daydream or a delusion? Nothing in the book hints at that and such themes are realistic given the materialism of wall street.

No clue. I haven't read it, nor seen the movie. But I would say that it can be on a lot of things, which depends solely on the reader.

>Nothing in the book hints at that

Wew lad

it makes very little difference one way or the other. annoyed when people get hung up on a minor plot detail when the book is a character & social analysis

Pretty much my exact opinion on American Psycho.
The film works as a campy dark comedy, whereas the book is decent but drags on for too long. By the end it's basically just masturbation.

Whether or not it's real is intentionally left ambiguous but the fact that this guy found the possibility unthinkable indicates his mental retardation.

It's not even intentionally left ambiguous.

Easton literally said it in an interview you wewladding faggot. Fuck you.

>turning a meme I employed into a verb

Just kill me now

Correct.

It's a great book and definitely worth your time. Better than the movie.

I prefer Glamorama, Ellis' best, but this one prepares you for it.

Because Ellis himself adopts that position: “American Psycho was a book I didn’t think needed to be turned into a movie. I think the problem with American Psycho was that it was conceived as a novel, as a literary work with a very unreliable narrator at the center of it and the medium of film demands answers. It demands answers. You can ambiguous as you want with a movie, but it doesn’t matter — we’re still looking at it. It's still being answered for us visually. I don’t think American Psycho is particularly more interesting if you knew that he did it or think that it all happens in his head. I think the answer to that question makes the book infinitely less interesting.”

web.archive.org/web/20100624060251/http://clatl.com/culturesurfing/archives/2010/06/19/1534716-bret-easton-ellis-talks-film-adaptations-at-scad

>Ellis himself adopts that position

By which I mean that he adopts the position that we don't know whether "he did it or ... it all happens in his head". So the possibility that it is not real was apparently present from the conception of the novel.

yeah it's worth reading. shit is hilarious.

>not knowing what a verb is

Kill me first.

True, I thought it was funny