Alright so It's out and I grabbed my copy. so far his writing is childish, shallow and yet also pedantic...

alright so It's out and I grabbed my copy. so far his writing is childish, shallow and yet also pedantic. it seems like overblown genre fiction. are his comics also this poorly written?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ctf260qnDeUP
youtu.be/OpbdGnJbneE.
youtu.be/4xKjGqefH7U
themillions.com/2016/09/readers-diary-alan-moores-jerusalem.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

plyb

>it seems like overblown genre fiction

Who'd a thunk it

you're at fault for picking up something clearly beyond your level on the basis of memeposting
pleb

no. however, it's comic books and a mediocre writer can achieve massive success in a field where the level of intelligent readers is somewhat lesser than that of literary works. having read only the first page of Jerusalem but several of his short stories, i do not doubt the writing can be pedantic and sophomoric.

Is everyone on Veeky Forums a jealous piece of shit, wannabe writer?

You don't read Moore for prose. You read him for the same reason you read Philip Dick

well, no. generally, when you read Alan Moore, you read him for the cartoons. he only has one novel (series of short stories if you ask me), several spoken word bits, and a handful of short stories to his name outside the field of comics. i find his comics and some of his spoken word stuff fun and intriguing. his prose? not so much. he may be a master of the comic book medium, but not yet one of prose. his pastiches in LXG Black Dossier were laughably awful.

No, you read him for the same reason you read Joyce (Finnegans Wake version)

>You don't read Moore for prose
Because he isn't a prose writer holy kek, he is a comics writer.

how the fuck is it "childish" writing?

it's just shitty

Was Moore mentioned around here before this thing?

Use your words, in what way is it shitty?

I'm not that user, I just want to know if it's worth picking up before it gets cheap.

Yeah. It's definitely a lot more right now, but there's always been a consistent level of background Moore posting p much since the board started.

I think typically people have felt his writing isn't bad, but it isn't amazing compared to Kafka or something. This is a little different because it's like his magnum opus, and either it'll be terrible or way better most likely. I think most of the hype were comic book fans finding it too hard to read.

Yes. You got memed the fuck out by /co/ crossposters.

Rarely. and it was never taken seriously. He's being shilled hard.

Only by memers who kept shitposting the same "Is watchmen/Are comics literature?" thread every few days.

> mfw get Jerusalem tommorow
> read it
> enjoy
> Veeky Forums cries

>compared to Kafka or something
Kafka isn't an outstanding case of someone whose "writing" is amazing. Really, Kafka? Have you read him in German, at least?

His first novel was regularly though not often mentioned (in good terms, since only by its audience, as opposed to people who've been pushed into something non-classical by hype).

>He's being shilled hard.
By a small publisher that already has a ridiculous amount of media publicity?

>every few days
For the last 5 years

The Gene Wolfe shills around here are obviously freebooter volunteers

>Kafka isn't an outstanding case of someone whose "writing" is amazing.
He is amazing, but there's no point in comparing him to Joyce or something. In subject maybe, but in prose quality it's stupid, like saying "these dwarves are shorter than those giants".

Wow I'm tired. Kafka is amazing, but why compare Moore to someone better really?

user means the last 3-4 days
people on this board somehow get used to every shitposting movement no matter how long it endures but will whine out loud about perfectly explainable and temporary on-topic spikes

That's still senseless. Kafka barely deals in "prose", the great majority of his writing is one step above functional - one crucial step, yes, but no matter how intentional those ungrammatical sentences and lacks of punctuation, how subtle this word order, how meaningful these repetitions are according to critics looking to praise him where others haven't yet, his prose is all about approaching, describing, with brush strokes or frame strokes, an idea or feeling. And as irrelevant as a comparison between writers with such different styles is, there is a good faith argument to be made that as to concern over musicality and aesthetics, Moore is a much better prose writer than Kafka, which I suspect you have already scoffed at for the exact same reason I assume you've brought up such a poor example in the first place, and only for that reason: Kafka's status.

tl;dr Kafka is great, but please grow some literary balls.

I can't wait to buy this, put it on my shelf, and read the posts.

it looks nice on my shelf beside my other boxed book miss macintosh my darling

>book is a massive tome printed on heavy paper and bound with high quality materials.
>comes in a sleeve with cool artwork printed on it
>meme magick

Well, it must be a masterpiece then.

Why is an actual ceremonial magician's writing less mystical and magical than someone like Don Delillo's? Is he just full of shit?

What book are you reading? There's some missteps, but I'm still getting a vibe of eeriness and potentially mystic shit lurking around the edges of things.

has anyone noticed OP is just changing around a Peter Griffin quote.

Can't tell if sarcasm or serious. It doesn't matter though, it's all the same, and I want that book. Welcome to the final frontier.

Mystic shit is boring there.

It's not a Peter Griffin quote.

>I haven't read/listened to Unearthing

I'm not up to date, what is it about exactly?

>Over a thousand pages

In some cases, less is Moore

banger

I sure am

I noticed it as well
youtu.be/ctf260qnDeUP

>his prose is all about approaching, describing, with brush strokes or frame strokes, an idea or feeling
And Derrida uses language to showcase his ideas. Isn't that interesting.

Can you please step up a little bit and not say something as vacuous as they use language for their ideas? It really lowers the quality of the board.

>Weird events that went on in Northampton
>Semi-autobiographical stuff inspired by Moore's life
>Metaphysical stuff about the nature of time/existence
>Forgotten or buried history, especially of working-class people
>Ceremonial magic

yu think you can get away with something that doesn't actually make sense

Refrain from inserting your pet peeve where you lack the most basic understanding of context. Yes, this doubles as sex advice

You're not making sense again bro.

... FYI, uselessly namedropping Derrida does the opposite of what you think it does (especially) if you have to make such a poor show of comprehension afterwards.

It's one of those rare Veeky Forums memes. Brownbear, a famous tripfag and pseudointellectual once said something as equally vacuous on the subject of Derrida as yourself on the subject of Kafka.

I don't know why your posturing about it meaning something different to nothing tho.

>mfw never gonna stop wolfeposting

Yes. Most are anyway.

When you read those "post your stories" threads you get to see what fucking losers this faggots are

>Is everyone on Veeky Forums a jealous piece of shit, wannabe writer?
No.
>Is everyone on Veeky Forums a jealous piece of shit wannabe?
Yes.

Context: prose and ideas, technical ability and message. Do the math or don't, I'm not going to try and convince you that you should put more effort into interpreting Veeky Forums posts than yours are worth.

yes it is lmao. you guys are all idiots.

It's not.

Why is it called Jerusalem? Shouldn't it be called Northampton?

Blake reference, Moore's a massive fan

youtu.be/OpbdGnJbneE. lol

Exactly. Not a peter griffin quote

holy freakin' crap, he's right lois

I find your response shallow and pedantic

Watchmen is, comics aren't

>almost not a single post in over 60 actually discussing the book
have any of you faggots even started reading it? Not sure if I should bother with a physical copy or just download a 100mb epub file

based

Word salad again dufus.

is this post-irony? no mediocre comic writer can attempt to have image this pedantic

Sweetie, please learn what words mean before attempting to use them

Let's see. Northampton means something like "North home town" as Southampton means "South home town" and Wolverhampton means "wolf home town" (wolves held citizenship under Saxon law).

North is etymologically related to "left" (because you look left from the rising sun) but also "beneath" and "hell".

Home is etymologically to dwell or inhabit.

Town is etymologically related to down and coming full circle. So we have "beneath dwelling down" or "Hell inhabitant coming full circle" or variations thereof.

Jerusalem means foundation of peace. How these are all related is self evident, very clever title.

Serious question here, OP. Why didnt you read the many excerpts and previews that were online? this shit costs 35 dollaridoos and you spent it blindly on a massice 1200 page doorstopper without doing any research into wether you'd like it or not? You're either shitposting and didnt actually read the damn book, have the attention span of a brain damaged 8 year old, or are stupid enough to buy shit without knowing what it is you're buying. I've read some of it and it is verbose, but I'm enjoying it and I'm curious to see where it goes.

made me smile desu

Nah it's actually the Blake thing

nice ad personam, not point out anything he said which is not correct.

Except Northampton drove all of God's chosen people out of Gold street back in the 18th C I think. Can't build Jerusalem without any Jews ;^)

Yes, well, "like Jerusalem, but better" isn't a very snappy title

His use of pedantic is absolute murder

>"like Jerusalem, but better"
>Northampton
Lolololololol

maybe in an entry level understanding, but in the wide one it's pretty close to narcissistic

Kek why is this in all the scifi sections of the bookstores I have been in. You should have known from there

Northampton is well known for being science fiction. It's just a town Moore made up, it doesn't really exist.

Stop trying to defend your fuck up

At least you don't get suicide bombed in Northampton, on the whole.

They want that sweet "pleb who'll buy the book and leave it lying around without reading it" money. Same as Infinite Jest.

Ura big stoo

Forgot proof
youtu.be/4xKjGqefH7U

>he doesn't know about connotations

for you ;) xD

>At least you don't get suicide bombed in Northampton, on the whole.
Because we have the actual army of Jesus here.

Really, stop. You're embarrassing yourself. Pedantic and narcissistic have nowt to do with one another

This bloke did a diary of his first reading, only took him 16 days with analysis. Git gud anons.

themillions.com/2016/09/readers-diary-alan-moores-jerusalem.html

>an ambitious attempt by Moore to encapsulate the soul of his hometown of Northampton, England. The city was the same setting
Fucked up there.

It looks like the kind of book I end up buying and reading piecemeal off it sometimes and enjoy what I read, but never get around to finish it, let alone read it from start to finish...

I don't even like moore or this book but it's supposed more of a cheesy/cutesy gesture than a narcissistic one to have a blurb from a schoolkid that says you're the best author ever as the only one on the back.

Does jesus have something against phone booths?

>implying you wouldn't have used that blurb

Fucking hippies.

That wasn't implied actually

I think he has something more against driving a bus with any sense of care. That's at the top of Abington Street and I would guess this happened when the bus came down the Wellingborough Road too fast, failed to turn all the way around the corner going towards the Kettering Road and had to ditch part way through and drive onto Abington Street and smash up some telephone boxes.

Do you really, REALLY believe that?

Have you never read a single author who balances on the edges of such words' meanings?

some of them are Veeky Forums favourite meme writers, and probably yours aswell

>shallow and yet also pedantic
how did people fall for this

I like the writing style in A Scanner Darkly

You're stupid and you suck at writing

if this thread is any indication of the type of reader Alan Moore brings to the table, well, i think i'll pass on attending any Jerusalem signings.