Does anyone know what the source is for the clearly bullshit claim that the EM drive can get to the moon in 3 hours...

Does anyone know what the source is for the clearly bullshit claim that the EM drive can get to the moon in 3 hours when it literally can't produce enough thrust to even lift a tiny fragment of its own weight?? All the clickbait news stories keep repeating it but I don't see where they're getting it from.

Also, why are modern people, with their easy access to the most immense store of data in human history, such god damned retards?

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/file/d/0B7kgKijo-p0ibm94VUY0TVktQlU/view
hackaday.io/project/5596-em-drive
arc.aiaa.org/doi/10.2514/1.B36120
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_propulsion
youtu.be/SCzRTYPaN9M
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Those are the claims being made by the inventor.

So basically, he just made the shit up and everyone else repeated it. So now about question 2? What the fuck? Why the fuck is everyone so chist damn retarded?

>creator of scientifically undisprovable drive says something about drive
>idiot on a cantonese galley sailing board shouts unsubstantiated conspiracy theorist nonsense about the drive
who should i believe???

>idiot on a cantonese galley sailing board shouts unsubstantiated conspiracy theorist nonsense about the drive
wat.

The original paper claimed that the effect is scalable, so a larger drive can create enough thrust to move at those speeds

>The original paper claimed that the effect is scalable, so a larger drive can create enough thrust to move at those speeds

yeah, if you scale it to the size of a fucking moon

Because the inventor claims that once a $uperconducting EMDrive is made it will lift it's own weight giving us flying cars and making anime real.

In space there is no friction, take it far enough from the earth and there will be no noticeable force against the machine apart from inertia due to its own mass. Maybe 3 hours to the moon is unreallistic but if this actually works, will get uf further and faster than ever before.

>
Also this
>The original paper claimed that the effect is scalable, so a larger drive can create enough thrust to move at those speeds

I agree that it's bullshit, but that's where the notion came from

Well if it does work then yea, the next step is optimizing it, gaining more thrust out of it, and making it far bigger

Welcome newfriend

He meant to say DIY Mongolian embroidery board, hope that clears it up.

>People are still unironically talking about muh flying cars
Oh what did I do to deserve such a gay species?

Flying cars will be a reality eventually
The only real thing preventing it is regulation

It doesn't. What I was responding to was the claim that I was someone in error for calling this retarded shit bullshit.

We have them. THEY'RE CALLED FUCKING AIRPLANES. Jesus christ almighty people can't drive for shit now. You want even more people in the air? NO.

The point of the EMdrive is that it can produce thrust while just energy is consumed.
So with solar panels it could just keep going forever until there's no more light reaching the panels anymore.

It doesn't have to lift shit, in space it can just keep on accelerating because the fuel can't run out. (solar panels)

The hollow moon.

If this shit works wouldn't we be able to send probes around pretty fast? I mean relative some of the 10 year ballistic tractories we currently use for some deep space shit?

Fucking idiots, I swear. If you would just Google the fucking history of the board you would find that it was based off of a Vietnamese candyland enthusiast forum called "One-Space".

Not to mention its way less efficient than rail or electric cars. Especially when your average salaryman will be able to jack into the matrix to do his job, travelling won't need to be much faster than it already is, when information can be exchanged at the speed of light.

Or you could use some nuclear engine to power this anywhere. Also we could build spaceships with cool designs, since we wouldn't need to worry about air friction or solar panels or anything.

Can i fly with EM shoes?

oh heyo kid you watched some viral youtube video slamming EMdrive and now you think you are an expert ;)

It is not legit until it's in commercial use. The debate is fucking pointless because it revolves around one photo of a dumb looking brass cone and claims of infinite thrust produced by space magic.

Also recall that even a tiny amount of thrust (even sub 1.0 TWR) will make you go very fast in space if it fires for long enough

Fucking moron, the origin of this forum was the international Sumerian Piccolo Pickling forum

DELET THIS GOY

The thing is, fuel is cheap, whats more important in space is going FAST, so you can repeatedly reuse your vehicle.

>fuel is cheap
>literally the point of memedrive is that it uses no fuel

I think you're confused, this is definitely the altaic linen weaving forum

>What is electricity
If your meme drive craft has a 20 year round trip to jupiter
Whereas conventional engines could do it in 2

Bit of a big deal

That's true but the claim was to get to the moon in 3 hours. You'd need to accelerate for several days at that low thrust to make it to the moon in 3 hours.

Not a moon. A battle station.

its fuel is electricity. the point of it isn't that it doesn't use fuel, the point is that it doesn't need the extra mass of the fuel. it needs the extra mass of whatever is going to harness and provide the electricity needed to power it.

Radiators. You will still need radiators

People dont seem to understand that even if the EM drive really gives of small thrust, we still need chem rockets to put it all in space.

>who should i believe???

Try the scientific paper by the guys who proved it works:

drive.google.com/file/d/0B7kgKijo-p0ibm94VUY0TVktQlU/view

>The point of the EMdrive is that it can produce thrust while just energy is consumed.
and that's why the EMdrive is impossible

constant thrust means it will eventually reach speeds where you can gain more energy from regenerative braking than you spent accelerating

which breaks physics

>Impossible
>Proven to work
>But it's against the rules!

>>implying the EmDrive has been proven to work

>proven to work
>still haven't ruled out all error sources
pick one

hint, it's the latter one

The hardware for flying cars has been around for decades, it's just that the average person can't be trusted to pilot them.
Thus the main obstacle has been on the computer side of things, to make them fully autonomous and networked.

They'll probably work more like uber/taxis when they do come around.

>mEMe drive
>proven to work
Choose one

Fix`d. I want reddit to leave.

Where is the picture from?

Correcting someone on the grammar of a meme is the most Reddit thing you could do.

>8508438
children of a dead earth, an extrememememely accurate space warfare simulator

Perhaps he was talking about it theoretically?

You know, bigger electrical input and engine.

I can make a rocket that couldn't lift a marble off the ground. It doesn't change the fact I can make one that does easily.

Fuel is massive and voluminous and you can only carry a very finite amount.

It has nothing to do with the direct cost of fuel and everything to do with mass fraction and having to stage giant fuel tanks.

Of course

You need to cool the reactors and engine somehow

Radiators can be flush against the ship hull. You don't have to have them hanging out there.

but thats less efficient because a lot of the radiated heat will be radiated right back at the ship compared to a stikcing out design

im sorry little kiddy little boy, if you dont know that spaceships have to be extremely functional for them to even be possible to work then you do not know your little boy high school physic lessons boy

He meant taiwanese doorknob inspection forum.

He meant a Laotian cave painting forum

>heat convects into vacuum and not back into the ship

Insulation works, dumbass.

You mean a Tibetan shadow puppetry forum?

He's talking about the Tibetan turnip growth procedure forum,

He meant Kenyan water filter forum

>Also, why are modern people, with their easy access to the most immense store of data in human history, such god damned retards?

people like easily digestible tidbits of information that they can parrot to other people to generate approval.
Actually learning something new requires looking beyond the facebook feed, finding quality sources, time spent comprehending what you find, and effort practicing before you become competent.

The latter is more personally rewarding, but the former socially gratifies almost instantly.

He actually meant mongolian horse milking forum.

just saw a van back into a parked car in a huge lot with no other cars around it.
with flying cars that'd be another 9/11

also recall a lot of maneuvers require you to generate a lot of thrust at a specific time

So it sounds like this engine is useless for maneuvering but amazing at traversing long distances over long periods in space, as it will never run out of fuel so long as the body of mass can absorb ambient radiation and power itself through betavoltaics.

Which is amazing if you only have to go back and forth, but butts if you need to expend fuel to go around something.

Still. All it'd take are large solar panels and a betavoltaic skin, and you'd have a limitless supply of fuel. As opposed to having absolutely no rocket fuel in space and being forced to either generate it by splitting water you find on Mars into hydrogen to burn as thrust.

From where I'm standing you've got cruising fuel vs. maneuvering fuel. Range has effectively been extended to near limitlessness through space.

I think user meant the panamanian survivalist IRC channel

>creator of hoax drive says something about drive

gee who should you believe

>absorb ambient radiation and power itself through betavoltaics.
What is that supposed to mean? There's no plutonium floating around in space. The flux from solar wind and cosmic rays of other sources is too weak to actually make a difference, especially at distances from the sun where this matters.

>So it sounds like this engine is useless for maneuvering
Why should it? It's not like you have to make quick decisions in space. Just gradually correct your course and that's it.

what he meant was a Vietnamese ramen noodle recipe exchange forum

Even if you have a better insulator than a vacuum (good luck) it's still way less efficient that way. Sending shit into space is expensive; you don't waste mass on anything you don't absolutely need.

For most part, since it's a resonator the size and weight is due to radio frequency used.

If there really is a previously unobserved effect it can be studied and extended to work in e.g. optical wavelengths, where you could etch a silicon wafer to have millions of laser diode resonators in a small panel.

If...

Now, on a more practical note, in scale from 0 to 5/7, how feasible it is to build one at home with common electronics tools, some sheets of copper and a magnetron, to do some meme testing?
Or should i better try to replicate something more sane, like: hackaday.io/project/5596-em-drive

wow dude...

this is a turkish rug trading emporium board

He meant a Japanese cartoon forum

>space
>convects

>piloting flying cars
You'd think that by the time cars will be able to fly we'd get the autopilot right.

Also
>Muh EMEM drive
>who should i believe???
Me when I'm telling you that you're a fucking retard and should kill yourself if you believe in this fairy tale.

>believe
Belief is for religion. In science, if yiu have doubts, you quantify, define and test them.

Weither you think it works or not, in any case if its based just on assumptions and beliefs you're a retard.

I know this feeling so much. How do I actually get into learning about interesting issues, where can I find interesting issues to pursue without needing to go to college? I am always reading articles but I get what you mean about easily digestible tidbits of information that are easily parrotable. That's actually my exact concern that I have been having lately, is that I just digest easy information and never do any actual deep learning. I wish that I could spend more time actually pushing myself to have a deeper understanding of subjects instead of just processing simple trivia.

Obviously he meant to say that he was an idiot on a norwegian rocking chair manufacturing forum.

This thread is pure gold, thanks 4chen

How land? What if collision imminent with something close? What if space pedestrian?

>What if collision imminent with something close?
Extremely unlikely. In that case you are fucked, but you would be anyway.

>How land?
I assume you know where you want to go, so that's not exactly a surprise.

this meme is hilariously grotesque

>>implying the EmDrive has been proven to work

One google and 5 clicks later:
"A vacuum test campaign evaluating the impulsive thrust performance of a tapered radio-frequency test article excited in the transverse magnitude 212 mode at 1937 MHz has been completed. The test campaign consisted of a forward thrust phase and reverse thrust phase at less than 8×10−6torr vacuum with power scans at 40, 60, and 80 W. The test campaign included a null thrust test effort to identify any mundane sources of impulsive thrust; however, none were identified. Thrust data from forward, reverse, and null suggested that the system was consistently performing with a thrust-to-power ratio of 1.2±0.1mN/kW."

Source: arc.aiaa.org/doi/10.2514/1.B36120

Nigger please. This is Veeky Forums ffs. Do some basic God damn research. The shit works and NASA proved it in a published paper two and a half weeks ago and is available for free online in its entirety.

>1.2 mN / kW

You know, just for shits and giggles....
>falcon 9 as of 2016 hits ~7600 kN of thrust,

>1.2 mN / kW = 1.2x10^-6 kN / kW (or just N/W)

>7600 kN / (1.2e-6 kN / kW) = 6.3e9 kW = 6.3 TW

>total world energy consumption is around 17 TW (ish)

>mEMeDrive requires 37 % of current world energy consumption to equal thrust of falcon 9

i had to fuck up some units or miss some sort of extrapolation about exponentially increasing thrust per kW or something

or is this really what its equating to

And yet it's still an order of magnitude better than solar sails and laser printer, both sources of propulsion in serious discussion or testing.

Also protip whatever the creator says this engine is almost certainly going to be primarily useful as a solar powered probe to explore deep space and not as anything else.

pls let it be optimizeable to the tune of 1-2 orders of magnitude

>laser printer?
Explain please

>laser printer
u wat m8

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_propulsion

Clearly an unfortunate tralnslation error, BUT

lol why printers

Sorry, meant laser power (like beamed power ala breakthrough starshot)

It's a board based on a Mongolian basketweaving forum

>eveyone ending their post in forum
Mix it up a little guys
>hypocrite
I just really like that one

This is an animated Korean puppet show
Get it right or get
the fuck

>find subject that interests you
>read BOOKS
>???
>profit

in any scientific topic, deep learning is usually gonna involve a series of other topics, so it's a hard work. But not at all impossible.
For example: You want to learn about black holes -> physics and math required first.
Not a good example but you get the gist

Meme drive is just the next inevitable step to full on intergalactic travel.

youtu.be/SCzRTYPaN9M

Later space niggers

He was just referring to the Azerbaijani sock-knitting board

he meant Celtic shot putting blog

I kind of want this to actually work just so that intolerable smug fuck thunderfoot has to eat crow and admit to being wrong.

>things are getting wild on the traditional mesopotamian underwater basket-weavers forum