How can eternal return happen if the universe is constantly expansing forever?

how can eternal return happen if the universe is constantly expansing forever?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Crunch
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

constantly = infinity .... ?

Because at some point it will go into the opposite direction and begin to collapse

it can't and doesn't

there is no evidence that it will slow down or reverse.

Eventually the universe will inevitably stop its expansion and contract. That will be the end of the cycle and from a new big bang, a new universe will be born. This cosmos will be exactly the same as the last one and its duration will be identical to its predecessors and successors. Thus the eternal return continues

Borges wrote about it saying that it's impossible according to theories from his time.

Then again, since identity is a spook, maybe what returns is not formed identities, but rather something that's beyond space, time, laws, etc. and which are consequences (measurable through science in some sense) of said primordial forces or essences.

t. Deleuze

What's the universe?

creation of the universe was an anomaly. it will never cease to stop expanding. every single molecule of everything will be infinitely away from each other in an infinite cold and dark ever expanding universe, forever.

Since we're talking like stoners, what's the universe expanding into (void, nothingness, etc.) and what is the edge of it? And if there is no edge, is that infinity not itself already different from the universe as such, which is limited and bound by certain laws?

Just look up for the Big Crunch theory or Indo-aryan mythologies about the cycles of exhalation and inhalation of the universe by Brahma

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Crunch

Big Bang x Big Crunch

Big Freeze

And here and then across trillions of years, a collection of strings will form themselves into a floating brain or a leaf or a rock or a stone. They all dissipate after an instance. Until they form by chance a godly entity that perpetuates its existence forever before and after the moment.

Can we not just agree we have no fucking idea?
Why is everyone taking sides and acting so certain

do you guys think is there anyway humans can survive the deaths of earth, solar system, milky way and the local group?

Big Sean.

my understanding is that over extremely long periods of time after the heat death of the universe, due to quantum mechanics, all of existence will simply return to its original state at the instant of the big bang and the whole thing happens again. this occurs on a time scale that we have no context for. from Wikipedia, 10^(10^(10^(56))) is the expected mean time for this to occur. for those of you who have forgotten, 10^10 is equivalent to 10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10, or one billion. 10^56 would be equivalent to ten times itself 56 times, a number which I will not bother to find the name for.

given an infinite amount of time, this would also result in an infinite series of perfectly identical universes, as well as an infinite series of infinitely different universes.

this is of course assuming that the 'big crunch' does not occur, which it might. with no substantial knowledge on the subject, I'm in no position to comment on the likelihood of any particular outcome occurring. but offering it regardless, I don't see any reason for expansion to slow or even for its acceleration to stop, particularly knowing that dark energy is an inherent property of 'empty' space. we know this thanks to quantum mechanics and its understanding of virtual particles.

with my limited understanding of physics, and without doing any of the math myself, I think a quantum-tunnel generated big bang is the most likely scenario.

how come these indian theories fit so well with the current scientific data while the christianity and islam makes no sense at all on the fate of the universe?

>earth
possible, unlikely. it's likely we will cause our own extinction. if we avoid that, more likely.

>solar system
if we survive that long, yes.

>milky way
the milky way won't ever really reach a 'destruction' point. as time passes, we will simply merge with the rest of the galaxies in the local group into a single large galaxy. by this time everything outside of the local group will have receded beyond the cosmic horizon, and the universe will be dark and lonely. we will never be able to leave this super-galaxy, but humans, or more likely human-descendants, will survive, assuming we didn't kill ourselves a few billion years ago.

>local group
in short, no. like the milky way, there is no, 'destruction' moment for the group. the local group will exist for quadrillions and quintillions of years, and over that time stars will cease to shine, and new stars will cease to be born. on that timescale, all galaxies in the group will coalesce into a single galaxy, and over the same timescale, planets will be ejected from their star systems by gravitational close encounters, and stars and planets alike will be ejected from the galaxy, doomed to recede into black emptiness until quantum decay destroys them over timescales that we have no context for. for those planets and stars not ejected, they will eventually fall into the central super massive black hole, which will render the local group finally, and forever, empty. this black hole will also eventually decay thanks to the Hawking process, and then the universe will be dead. it's possible that if life survives this long we will have created some sci-fi technology to prevent some or all of this from happening, but it is unlikely life will survive this long.

Because Hinduism developed from an advanced and continent wide scholarly culture which spanned thousands of years in one of if not the oldest civilization on Earth.

Abrahamic faiths emerged from inbreeding nomads in the desert

is there even a concept or idea that can think of any kind of technology to stop the expansion of the universe?

stop the expansion of the universe? not right now, no. but traveling at relativistic speeds over long periods of time would let one survive long enough to perhaps encounter some spontaneous entropy reduction which makes 'normal' existence possible for a while. or maybe we discover some method of FTL travel and we use this to reassemble matter into a galaxy for us to live in. maybe we discover a way to increase the rate of time in a specific region of space, or sever a region of space from the rest of the universe and we use these to create our own pocket universes.

really, what we're talking about here is science fiction, because these aren't problems we'll have to deal with for quadrillions of years. hell, we've even got a few trillion years before everything beyond the local group passes behind the cosmic horizon. in that time, it's just as likely we discover the ability to rewrite the laws of physics as it is that we go extinct.

as I said, I've got a limited understanding of physics, but I don't think it's impossible that in a couple hundred trillion years we figure out something that we don't quite understand nowadays.

I read that as >eternal rectum
:DD

(I think I was being influenced by the picture :D)

based black benicio