Are there any American authors on the same level as Tolstoy, Gogol and Dostoevsky?

Are there any American authors on the same level as Tolstoy, Gogol and Dostoevsky?

Melville aaaaand that's about it

Toni Morrison

Faulkner, Pound, and Melville are above them

Melville
Faulkner

And that's all

wow, you are so refined!!

DFW wanted to be all three. It's the intention that counts, no?

I like Steinbeck.

Melville, Joyce, Hemingway

This.

>joyce
>american

Hawthorne

Melville. Maybe Faulkner. Maybe James.

Twain. That man was woke as fuck.

People will disagree because they're afraid of enjoying "leftist" literature, but I have to say that I think Morrison is brilliant and severely undervalued on this board.

This

Roth sometimes. Hawthorne, Arthur Miller, Truman Capote maybe

Agreed and gee I wonder why

Pynchon. Not memeing, he is great.

Nabokov''s on our side, right? Besides that there's Borges, Gaddis, and Melville

Ireland is an essentially American construct

Melville only.
Having said that, Gogol isn't on the same level as Dostoevsky and Tolstoy.

Hawthorne and Melville

I completely agree, but you phrased that in a really weird way. Gogol is far superior to Dostoevsky and Tolstoy.

it's the opposite

this

Melville, Faulkner, Gaddis, Gass, Pynchon

Did Melville write anything noteworthy besides Moby Dick?

Melville, Hemingway, Faulkner, and John Steinback are all better than those Russian fucks

Fitzgerald, Twain, Capote, and Pynchon are honorable mentions

>Fitzgerald

>Bartleby, the Scrivener
>Pierre, or the Ambiguities
>Israel Potter
>The Confidence Man
>Clarel

>Nabokov
>Borges
Looks lile you forgot Flaubert and Chinua Achebe.

I don't think he is far superior but a short story of his is worth 500 pages by Dosto

South America is an america too.

heeeehehehehehe
Amerilards man, I tell you...

Offending others in an argument

>>>/wsr

lol you fuked up

I love Morrison but she isn't on the same level as Faulkner or Melville

Who's steinbeck?

Faulkner, Mccarthy, O'connor and Melville

he is better

People disagree because she's a bit shite. I am good progressive who voted for Obama, jerks off to NPR, hates white people, and pretends to find Cornel West insightful, but come the fuck on. There is no way that anybody would read her if they didn't need a wise soulful Black woman to confirm every single one of their sociopolitical opinions

Pynchon, Twain, Faulkner, the list goes on....

>Pierre

Vollmann, is that you?

If you want an actual list instead of one filtered through Veeky Forums logic, it's:

O'Conner
Melville
Hawthorne
Wolfe

>Wolfe

Kek.

Anyway, the answer is DeLillo.

>Wolfe isn't good
>DeLillo is

WOWOW BOYO

Wolfe is cocktail party dainty lit

>Hi I'm protestant please shit down my throat.

Those writers are all trash. Why do people think Russian literature is remotely good.
oooh deep oooh slightly edgy oooh nihilistic culture oooh natural world and spiritual world oooh industialism is bad for the soul oooh

Morrison is extremely derivative and unimaginative with her derivation. I can only describe her as 'Faulkner but less creative and all about black women'.

In other words 'black women are in trouble and sometimes there's wacko mystical prose that is so poorly executed it detaches from whatever she may have done good'

It's like all the kiddies here 'imitating' Wallace, Murakami, Pychon, Kafka; it's just awful.