My grandma gave me a huge bag of Kirkland frozen salmon. Is this stuff good? Can you cook it while it's still frozen...

My grandma gave me a huge bag of Kirkland frozen salmon. Is this stuff good? Can you cook it while it's still frozen? I've never cooked fish before.

It's probably edible.
There are directions on the bag.

Jesus christ, is Veeky Forums basically poorfag central?

It was free. She's moving and wanted me to come over and raid her fridge. I was going to get some fresh chicken, but now I've got this.

It's /okay/ at best if you have nothing else. Don't get flounder, from what I have heard swai is alright.

Frozen squid and shrimp are pretty much all you'd want to stick to.

I would defrost them overnight, bread and deep fry them, like some ghetto Norwegian fish and fries.

it's farm raised trash. at least shit didn't give you farm raised shrimp... half of that shit gets rejected by the USDA due to "filth"

anyway, dip it in egg and coat it with bread crumbs mixed with old bay and fry that shit up

>I would defrost them overnight

be careful with the defrosting. it's dangerous to defrost vacuum sealed meats due to botulism.

It's fine. The skinless/boneless stuff like that is good for making lox, which basically just involves throwing it in a ziploc with a bunch of salt and sugar for a few days. Internet has more exact recipes as always.

check the date on it. grandmas are famous for unloading really old food on people

The possabilities are endless. Really its not PORRFAgg or whatever. its good quality atlantic meaning it was caught and instant killed freezing.
Toxics are low, tender is on point. Do whatever you like raw, boiled, steamed, fried. Like bubba gump shrimp. go wild.

Just defrost them in the fridge and treat it like regular salmon. Bake, pan fry, steam, poach, stir fry, etc. Don't deep fry.

muh salmon lice

>it's dangerous to defrost vacuum sealed meats due to botulism
This is true, but if you take it out of the vacuum pack to defrost, you should be okay. If you're just going to bake them though, you can put them in the oven while they're still frozen.

Fucking this.
The older my parents get, the more I am terrified to eat with them.
Condiments in the fridge are years past due and some freezer items are going on a decade or more. They have Coke in plastic bottles from the early 2000s.
Beware, grandma is not your friend when it comes to food.

Fuck I didn't consider this at all. She's genuinely been losing it lately.

Just the newfriends

defrost the individual packs in a bowl full of warm water when you want to cook em desu

I ended up thawing them a bit in warm water, oiling both sides, cooking both sides for 4 minutes on medium and now they're currently covered on low-medium for 6 minutes.

Holy fuck, why is this so true.

The current generation of grandmas were homemakers in the 50s-70s, during the Cold War. Stockpiling food was a huge thing and a habit that they can't break. They have an irrational and likely unconscious fear of seeing any food go to waste so they unload it on other people because it's a way for them to get rid of it without "wasting" it.

cold running water.

>Don't deep fry.
Yoshinoya used to make amazingly tasty deep-fried salmon.

Holy shit can you retards not read instructions? Defrost in cold water for 15-20 minutes, put in 400 degree(F) oven for ~13 minutes with lemon, dill, and salt plus any other seasonings you like.

The packages specifically say to remove them from the vacuum seal.

THIS
>Sunday dinner, my gran decides to have it
>Tells us we're having lamb, my mum goes round to help
>Get there and we're having roast chicken
>w-what happened to the lamb
>It was in fucking Safeway packaging
>UKfag here, Safeway has been closed for over twelve years
>Not only that, she had moved house twice during this time
What would happen if you ate lamb that had been in a freezer for 15 odd years???

You would either die or turn into a lamb

Surprised she didn't serve it anyway.
Old people lose the sense of passage of time. They think food is in some time warp of suspended animation as long as its cold, or the bag is zipped shut.
If grandma is involved, just go out for dinner. Shes been saving that lamb for FIFTEEN years, for this very special Sunday.

i know what you mean. i recently discovered my parents were still using Kraft Parmesan Cheese (the one of the plastic shaker bottle) that expired in 2008.

Once you figure out how to cook it, may I suggest a glaze made of 1:1 Dijon Mustard and Brown Sugar? It's all I do with Salmon anymore.

feed it to your cat. you obviously have a cat.

Cats have good senses and would easily reject it.
But, that's your test. If the cat doesn't eat it, you shouldn't either.

Salad still on the menu then?

>so true. Helped a friend clean out his Grandma's fridge when she moved out of state. He was going to take all the condiments. I had him check the expiration dates and some were over 10 years out of date.

Also, vegetable cooking oil goes rancid very fast (weeks to months) and most people have oil that has gone rancid in their pantries. Only buy the smallest size of vegetable oils and keep in the fridge once opened. You should easily be able to tell if they have gone bad by popping the cap and smelling the oil. If it smells bitter it is bad. Rancid oil is very hard on your liver.

If the cat eats it, I will eat it.
Yes, its on the menu.