Went on a food holiday with 2 of my bros in America last month, thought I share some thoughts about your dining culture

Went on a food holiday with 2 of my bros in America last month, thought I share some thoughts about your dining culture

>Americans call a 'main dish' and entree
>Americans make you pay $25 on a $20 meal because you have to tip the waiter
>Americans make you pay $30 on that $25 because they add the tax onto the sale price

I'm not going to lie, this constant hassle at every restaurant or even street vendor is fucking annoying. How the hell do you deal with it on a daily basis?

(The food is good tho)

>goes on a food holiday
>only goes to places that expect to be tipped

you done good user. You done good indeed.

0/10

I went to lots of different places, some restaurants, some diners, some street food. We were just so caught off guard on the first night how cheap the meal was, but then how actually expensive it was...

It's because they have bullshit laws that allow restaurants to pay their wait staff less than $3/hr due to the expectation of tips. It's even more bullshit here in Canada. They have to pay their wait staff the federal minimum wage and yet we are still expected to tip the same as Americans...

>I went to lots of different places, some restaurants, some diners, some street food. We were just so caught off guard on the first night how cheap the meal was, but then how actually expensive it was...
You're talking about a 15% difference. So rough being unable to do math in your head isn't it?! I think you are neglecting to mention how CHEAP AND AFFORDABLE food is in the USA. Fact.
/thread

entree used to mean either appetizer or the first meat dish. so the word entree still makes sense.

You have to pay tax too, we lure people in with smaller prices

You don't have to tip anyone

The people live off tips. Like it's their only income usually.

For what purpose

Fuck tipping culture, in Australia I get offended if some cunt waiter tries to suggest I should tip them. It's fucking rude, they already get paid to do their job by their employer

>close a thread because it devolves into the nth discussion
>immediately see this thread

Ya it's complete bullshit. They talk about standard of living as if they feel they deserve to get paid $25/hr to bring people food. Hell half the fast food places up here now ask how much you want to tip when you pay with a debit card. I'm glad I rarely eat out. I don't mind paying for a good meal, but it's rarely ever worth it...

I'm fine with tipping culture, but for fucks sake
WHY THE FUCK DON'T YOU INCLUDE TAX IN THE PRICETAG?

I'm really tired of this myth. If the waiters/waitresses get paid less than minimum wage (which is what they should earn for carrying food to a table) the restaurant has to pay the difference.

you dont have to tip at mcdonalds where you can get delicious mcchickens

>WHY THE FUCK DON'T YOU INCLUDE TAX IN THE PRICETAG?
Again, just do the math. It varies city to city, state to state. Most people know their own municipality is whatever 5cents/$1, or 10% on alcohol or whatever the ordinances are that passed there. To cry over 7.5 cents or whatever whining your trip was FILLED with, I think is really immature and stupid.

I wouldn't be crying if I paid a few cents more on my drink at the 7-11.

Yeah but in reality they don't "and if you tell anyone you're fired"

>food holiday

Do americans actually do this?

>why not include tax in the price tag

Because the politicians from both parties who raise taxes on consumables hope that the sheeples won't think about that extra 10% when they go buy, buy, buy, or vote, vote, vote. And they're right, the sheeples go, "baaahhh." It's easy to blame the republicans for it now since they control a lot of state legislatures, but it's both parties. Anything to keep from making the top 5% pay their fair share.

Well for one thing, Americans don't use the word "holiday" to describe a vacation. So I'll just chalk this up to you being retarded.

I dont tip unless they bring the food out smiling. That alone means I dont tip half the times I go out somewhere half decent. Not to sound pretentious but you think about their tip more than they do and they're thinking of getting off. Tips are for people at carwashes and hair dressers. You dont need to tip at places like applebees here unless you're trying to show off.

>going to restaurants where you're expected to get dressed up and leave tips

Smh desu senpai

More "If you're not getting $5+ in tips in an hour you're such a shitty waiter you deserve to be fired"

My mom raised me to be a pretty stingy tipper. I note that she usually tips about 5% and will often justify not tipping at all. Now as an adult I round up to an even total somewhere between 10%-15% unless I get notably bad or excellent service. I don't eat out a whole lot though as most restaurants are shit.

Why is that black family all smiling all that methed out truck driver looking dude.

>holiday
Why assume that someone who uses "holiday" is American? We don't use that word like that.

He gave Tonya $40 for anal, that's enough money for a week of family McDonald's in 1971. And just look at her face, she was 'lovin it'

>We don't use that word like that
But that's what I'm saying. Read my post again. I'm American.

I responded to the wrong post. Sorry, man. We do agree.

> don't tip, its not like the waitress will ever see you again
> pay the price listed on the receipt, it's post-tax.

I do wish businesses listed their prices with taxes instead of without, but that's up to the businessowner.

>American food

Since this seems to be the designated tipping shitposting thread I guess I will ask here

How do you tip when your waitress was great but the food was bad?

>Getting down
>Dinnertimin' or anytimin'
I miss the days when this was cool now it's just racist

Tip good but don't come back. Also, it's okay to complain about bad food. The waitress wants your food to be good and the manager wants you to come back. Also remember that if the quality of the food itself is bad there's no point complaining anywhere but possibly to corporate.