I'm about to click purchase on this. Is this a good pan?

I'm about to click purchase on this. Is this a good pan?
amazon.com/dp/B00006JSUA/ref=twister_B007YYNG3S?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

All I have are nonstick. I made the mistake of trying to sear some venison in one once and now the pan is fucked up

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/KLGSLCaksdY
youtube.com/watch?v=-suTmUX4Vbk
youtube.com/watch?v=xoIO8YOpyN4
sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/
amazon.com/Ringer-Original-Stainless-Cleaner-Patented/dp/B00FKBR1ZG
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Well, it's cast iron, so I mean, if you're on a $15 budget then yeah that's about as good as it's going to get

If you're not allergic to spending more money you're better off with something aluminum

>falling for the cast iron meme

Looks good

>Made in USA

Buy it

Why?

If you're stupid enough to fuck up with non-stick you're probably stupid enough to fuck up with cast iron.

Buy a stainless pan with a thick aluminum core. It will be more versatile than either the non-stick or the cast iron and much harder to ruin than either.

How could one possibly fuck up a cast iron pan other than simmering lemon juice overnight?

Because aluminum conducts heat about 5x better than iron, so you'll get more even cooking

Cast iron requires a lot of workarounds to perform properly, some people get off on that shit and some people would rather just get a good result

Cast iron pans need special care:
youtu.be/KLGSLCaksdY

regular pans dont fucking work m8
unless you like using half a stick of butter and then having to scrape everything off and soak your shit after

>add an extra 30 minutes to every meal

jesus christ no

1. I have no idea what a "regular pan" is
2. You should not use butter for high-heat applications
3. Sticking is sometimes good, sometimes bad. When it's good, you need to learn how to harness its benefits. When it's bad, use a nonstick pan. Scraping shit off means you used the wrong tool for the job, or you are wasting precious fond.
4. Cast iron is not as nonstick as a nonstick pan, no matter how autistically you season it. If you need nonstick, use that. If you don't, use a stainless-lined aluminum pan

How do you intend to sear a steak at maximal heat? Nonstick can't get that hot, and aluminum will stick instantly.

>conducting heat better
>making for a good pan
So I guess you only cook eggs and crepes?

You've never actually seared a steak before, have you
There is literally no cooking application in existence where more conductivity is not better

It's only like 2 more minutes to wipe it with oil and heat it up. Also don't be afraid to use soap and a normal sponge to clean it.

OP, It's always good to have a 12" cast iron skillet, but I would go carbon steel. It does everything a cast iron skillet does but is lighter. My cast iron is regulated to oven roasting duties now.

youtube.com/watch?v=-suTmUX4Vbk
and use this seasoning method
youtube.com/watch?v=xoIO8YOpyN4
>wasting precious fond.
Nitpicking here, but it's sucs. Fond is stock.

Caring about conductivity post the publishing of "modernist cuisine".

>every option has it evangelist
>it evangelist
>$500 set of books with at least one typo in it

>get BTFO
>nitpick typos

Here is a second part that states pan thickness and hob size are the most important aspects of even cooking.

You don't "season" it every time.
"It's like loving a good woman: the more you give, the more you get back."

get a copper ceramic pan you hipster

Get the 12 inch from Walmart or a hardware store instead, the extra room is nice

>decided to buy a new pan today
>threw the old one away WITHOUT washing it last night after dinner

felt really good

>complaining about having to clean cast iron

Jesus, do you people just leave your filthy pans on the stove until the next time you cook? Just because you clean it with oil instead of soap doesn't mean it's any more work than any other kind of pan

Buy it. It's a great pan. You'll eventually want to reseason it, but the existing seasoning is okay for a start. Do some Googling, but suffice it to say you want to cook some bacon on low-medium heat before you try to make scrambled eggs.

Cast iron is neither better nor worse than carbon steel aka blue steel, aluminum, or nonstick. They're all different horses for courses, user.

>venison
found your problem

How nice, you saved the screenshots I uploaded a few years ago. It's satisfying to see people I helped people learn, even if they're barely capable. Sorry I didn't give you the full context, no wonder you're confused. Here's the rest.

Since you obviously lack critical thinking skills, the point here is that the op isn't asking what stove to buy, he's asking what pan. The stove he's got is a given. Given a stove with certain properties, the only way he's going to get a better cooking experience is by getting a better pan. And getting a cast iron pan is not a better pan, nor is he going to be able to (or want to) buy a 7 cm thick cast iron pan. A decent aluminum pan (which is essentially what Patent Troll is recommending here, what I recommended earlier, what any knowledgeable person would recommend, and what you are arguing against) is the best choice.

Enjoy your smoke detector going off every time you cook.

I have one, it works well by which I mean it's a mostly indestructible hunk of iron you can cook stuff in. Secret to maintaining good seasoning is just to cook with it regularly with lots of fat and not worry about babying it too much, to me that kind of goes against the spirit of using a cast iron pan which is that it's a cheap pan that can take a lot of abuse. You can even rinse it out with soapy water to degrease it quick if you have a good layer built up without really doing anything to it and if you do damage the seasoning you just cook with a bit more sticking until it re-seasons. Probably want to stay away from wine and tomato sauce and other acidic stuff though

Yeah, it's already heavy as fuck with a tiny handle so you might as well get a big one, only complaint I'd have with mine is that's it's tricky to get a lot of bacon or sausages to lay out in it well

agreed, I got a 10 and can't fit two burgers in side by side. sucks

Stainless Steel isn't cast iron. The thermal conductivity is higher in cast iron. I don't get where you got it had to be 7cm thick. Also, The take away paragraph states it perfectly, use the biggest burner you have on your stove and you can evenly heat a 12" cast iron pan.

>How nice, you saved the screenshots I uploaded a few years ago. It's satisfying to see people I helped people learn, even if they're barely capable.

I have the books; they are on torrents, retard.

Doesn't really matter when the conductivity in aluminum is about 3x better than either

7cm is 70mm, it's the metric system

The point is if you're a billionaire patent troll like NathanM, you can treat variables like the size of the burners built into your stove as trivially adjustable. For the rest of us plebs, we have more control over which pan we buy than what stove came with our apartment.

Thanks for agreeing with me!

But 7cm/7mm is for STaINLESS you dolt. Please stay on topic with the OP which is talking about iron. so again, you miss the point.

wow 3x's! so it heats up in a couple of minutes rather than a few! You saved OP so much time! Too bad a cast iron pan is more versatile than nonstick-aluminum so he's getting much more VALUE for his measly 25 bucks.

Best is stainless sandwich with aluminum (or copper if you're rich) core.

that's true, but you cant gently cook in stainless steel (such as eggs/fish).

Only if you cut the handles off and use it as a frisbee

I love cast iron. However, new cast iron skillets don't have machined interiors. It takes a ton of seasoning to overcome the rough surface. Therefore, I prefer to pick up vintage Griswolds and Wagoners at garage sales or antique stores. Through that bitch in the oven and set the self cleaning cycle. It smokes up the damn house, but you are left with a pristine skillet that usually costs around five bucks. My go to pan is an 'Erie Ghost' that my great grandmother got as a wedding gift.

Emeril Lagasse has a new line of pans including a very nice cast iron pan... worth a look.

Fuck any and all celebrity shill cookware. How can you be such a sucker and support such flagrantly overpriced exploitation?

GO down to your local Hispanic market. I got one for 10 bucks.

Yes

This is so true and I wonder if people use grinders in them if they get very autistic.

I have a coworker who uses a orbital sander to knock down the high spots. Don't know why he doesn't just buy an old one.

>I would go carbon steel.

This.

Carbon steel is the master race.

Make sure you season it with vegetable oil and put it in the oven on high for 40 minutes. Always oil it before and after cooking. You should clean this with a scrub but not a lot of dish soap because of the seasoning dissolving.

>durrr
you are supposed to season it with flax seed oil, actually, and your barebones instructions are shit and will get him an awful brown sticky pan.

sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

op if you get a cast iron pan do this.

What is the deal with this? I have 2 old ones that are great, and 2 new ones that are great, but not smooth.
At first, I thought I had fucked them up somehow and spent hours scrubbing and reseasoning them, only to realize that what I had thought was bits of burned food was bits of rough metal.
Why?

>Always oil it before and after cooking
lololol fuck off moron

1. it's cheaper to make that way
2. modern nonstick pans are light years better than even the smoothest, most perfectly seasoned cast iron

there is no reason to sperg over vintage cast iron unless you just get off on old timey stuff. cast iron's usefulness is overstated by spergs and it has nothing to do with its nonstick qualities. it's like those people who spend hours honing their weeb swords on 12,000 grit stones and stropping on cubic zirconia horse leather only to destroy that edge in two strokes on the cutting board. pure masturbation.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Cast iron holds heat FAR longer than any bullshit modern nonstick.

and when do you need that kind of heat retention? when cooking eggs? no, you tard. when doing stuff where nonstick properties are irrelevant.

stop pretending to know how cooking works.

That's not the fucking point, the cast iron can be used for any number of things.

You can't just dismiss it and say modern nonstick is better PERIOD.

Because it simply isn't true.

I might be slightly biased as I have ~10 Griswold's of varying sizes and designs. But I also own 3 modern nonsticks that I do use often as well.

buy one, it's cheap, and at worst you can use it as a reliable camping pan that you don't have to worry about fucking up bc it was cheap

i personally love my cast iron stuff, but that should be the only reason you use something. because you like it. there'll always be elitists on fourchan dot com

buy one, cook only bacon in it for a few weeks, then sear away. you'd have to TRY to fuck up a cast iron pan. they're resilient as fuck and you can always sand it down and reseason

>That's not the fucking point
Then what is the point? To instagram how smooth your skillet is? Please
>the cast iron can be used for any number of things.
Yeah and I can use a putty knife to chop onions, doesn't make it smart
>You can't just dismiss it and say modern nonstick is better PERIOD.
I didn't say that, I said it's better at being nonstick, lrn2 read neckbeard
>Because it simply isn't true.
Well if you want to get down to "simply", a nonstick pan is, simply, more useful than a cast iron pan, but imagine a crazy world in which you could have two pans! Yeah I know, crazy talk. They didn't do that in the old wild west cowboy camps, therefore it's not valid
>I might be slightly biased as I have ~10 Griswold's of varying sizes and designs
Yes, you are

stainless steel master race

>modern nonstick pans are light years better than even the smoothest, most perfectly seasoned cast iron
>I said it's better at being nonstick, lrn2 read neckbeard

Go ahead and show me where you said that fuckstick

See The discussion was about smooth antique pans vs rough modern ones. user asked what's the deal. I explained it. You had a hissy fit and said but cast iron should be used for everything.

Lol good try, but no.

The conversation was never about the non-stick properties, it was an user wondering why the interior was rough.

and why do you suppose the rough interior vs smooth interior matters? because of the nonstick properties. that is literally the only "benefit" other than instagram, and that "benefit" is utterly pointless because as noted before:
>modern nonstick pans are light years better than even the smoothest, most perfectly seasoned cast iron

once again: cast iron is not for nonstick applications, use the tool for the job, sperg

... user you keep assuming the other user was concerned about the nonstick properties when asking why it was rough.

He didn't bring up the nonstick, you did.

Im glad you think modern non-sticks are better for nonstick cooking, but that was never the fucking point.

He wanted to know what it was rough and not smooth. Period, end of discussion.

It's because it's cheaper to make them that way.
The only one who keeps mentioning this nonstick being a factor is you user. The original user had no mention of it and probably wasn't even thinking about it that way.

Jesus Christ.

I'm repulsed by her laconic methodology and compelled to stay up all night testing this.

>... user you keep assuming the other user was concerned about the nonstick properties when asking why it was rough.
I didn't assume anything other than what was in the question, which was: what is the relevance of the rough/not rough. the answer to which was given by me, leading to a raging tantrum by you
>He didn't bring up the nonstick, you did.
thank you for repeating what I just said
>Im glad you think
and I'm glad you disagree, that doesn't make you right
>that was never the fucking point.
says you. of course the real point is "they don't make it like they used to I was born in the wrong decade" or something, eh?
>He wanted to know what it was rough and not smooth.
I suppose you meant to type "why" not "what". so in that "why" we could read "what was the proximate cause of the smoothness" (the machining, already stated). or we could say why is it important (namely that it's not, except by people who try to use the wrong tool for the job, such as yourself)
>Period, end of discussion.
I'm glad you think your weird fetishes are the be-all, end-all of proper equipment selection, but I can assure you this is not the case
>It's because it's cheaper to make them that way.
yes, see: "it's cheaper to make that way"
>The only one who keeps mentioning this nonstick being a factor is you user
not true! you keep bringing it up as though it shouldn't be relevant. why shouldn't it be relevant? well I suppose because in your cosplay universe, modern nonstick pans are disallowed on the grounds of not being period-accurate. speaking of period, I think you're on yours.
>The original user had no mention of it and probably wasn't even thinking about it that way.
obviously, otherwise he wouldn't have asked

I'm not saying it's not relevant, but in your first reply you basically said cast iron was useless and you should just get a modern non-stick which is retarded.

This isn't wrong, FOR NONSTICK cooking but when this is ALL you say, it just sounds like you think modern non-stick is the ONLY sane pan choice.

Cast iron has it's place in the kitchen just as modern non-stick does.

Hi, I'm the user who asked "what's the deal", and I hate nonstick pans. All my cast iron pans are perfectly seasoned and waaay more nonstick than any "nonstick" pans could ever be, also superior for heating and in every other way.

Literally I was wondering why "modern pans" have rough spots.

Yes, please, can we now argue about what we are arguing about?

Oh, thank you then.

> you basically said cast iron was useless
useless with respect to the question of smooth vs rough, yes. it is. very useless.
> you should just get a modern non-stick
everyone should have a modern non-stick pan unless the bylaws of their historical re-enactment hobby say otherwise.
>This isn't wrong
so why are we arguing?
>when this is ALL you say,
user didn't ask "what set of pans should I get and why", user asked "why should I care if it's smooth or not"
> it just sounds like you think modern non-stick is the ONLY sane pan choice.
well, if it's one or the other, yeah, nonstick is the only sane choice
>Cast iron has it's place in the kitchen just as modern non-stick does.
I never said anything to the contrary. but I think where we'd disagree is just how useful each of those is, which is to say, not very. probably about 15-20% of all cooking tasks benefit from nonstick or cast iron
>Literally I was wondering why "modern pans" have rough spots.
well, that was covered in the post you replied to

I'm cooking a burger for lunch

Cast iron
Aluminium/copper plated stainless
or modern nonstick

Modern nonstick pans suck ass.
Only an idiot who can't use a proper cast iron pan with gas should resort to nonstick pans.
My 10 year old knows proper care and use of cast iron.

cast iron

Any of those would be fine, really. A cast iron or heavy stainless/aluminum pan would be preferable, but if you can't get a good flavor from a nonstick pan, you shouldn't be allowed near a stove without adult supervision. Hint: sugar causes accelerated maillard reactions. A light glaze of something containing sugar (balsamic for example) is a good alternative to extreme temperatures. It doesn't have to be a strong or heavy glaze - by the time it's done you'll notice the maillards, not the sweetness.

So if you are a purist and refuse to use any kinds of glazes, then use something that can take extreme heat (again: either cast iron or stainless/aluminum would be perfectly adequate)

Where the cast iron really shines is oven roasted potatoes and stuff like that

>proper care
Aka "workarounds"

I scrub my cast iron pans with a wire brush and dish detergent, deal with it sperg

You already confirmed you were retarded, here is yet further proof.

>muh pores! muh magnetite!
go back to your blog, sheryl. no one cares.

Is this what happens when a mid 20's THINKS he knows everything?

I'm pushing 40, so maybe come up with a different way of deflecting attention from how wrong you are about cooking. how about "what are you doing on Veeky Forums, grandpa"

Germanbro here, not much of an used cast iron market here.

I ordered a set of chinese cheapos from Amazon, all i cared for was if the bottom was flat.
The inside was rough as hell but fuck it, it's cast iron, not some precious little flower, so i sanded it down with an orbital sander. Now they are nice and smooth and work great.

Yes I love my lodge. I use it for stir fries since no gas stove and no wok.

Only thing I've done that is questionable is this sauce I used orange juice and rice vinegar in. I don't think you're supposed to do that regularly but it came out fine regardless.

Oh so you're stuck this way, sucks to be you then.

Maybe one day you'll realize how much of a retard you are.

don't worry I used to sperg about seasoning too. then I learned more about cooking. as long as you cook a lot, and are open to new information, you'll figure this out on your own. I'm just arguing with you for fun, I know some words on a screen aren't going to sink in until you've done more cooking and made the connection between the words and the experiences. it's like trying to learn how to ride a bike by reading blogs - doesn't work that way.

Maybe by the time I have my 2nd house I'll have figured it out.

hopefully, sure. but look at the bright side, some people spend 2 hours a week shitposting on Veeky Forums. it's not like spending that time rubbing flax seed oil into your pores is any more wasteful.

The main thing you've gotten with age is confidence, sadly you didn't pick up any actual knowledge along the way.

See

early mid 30's and sous-chef, but hey you think whatever you want big boi.

So how do I clean a cast iron properly? I've been rinsing it out, drying it, wiping on some oil, and reheating it. I've only had it for about a week, though, so I don't know if this will work long-term.
I've only cooked steak and veggies in it so far.

You can rinse with soap and water, you just dont want to scour it.

A gentle wash is fine. No need to oil it after wash unless you're storing it for a few days without using it.

If you use it daily, just keep it clean by washing lightly and drying.

Biggest thing to avoid is leaving it in water for extended periods of time.

I usually clean mine right after I'm done cooking, once it has cooled a bit. Just a scrub in hot water, wipe it dry with a cloth. If I have time, I'll do a light coat of oil and heat it up, although I find that usually you don't need to.

It's iron. People have been using it for centuries to cook. There are very few ways to fuck it up beyond repair.

If you are really worried about it, buy one of these.

amazon.com/Ringer-Original-Stainless-Cleaner-Patented/dp/B00FKBR1ZG