So I just recently finished the Wheel of Time series and it's become my favorite fantasy series of all time (despite...

So I just recently finished the Wheel of Time series and it's become my favorite fantasy series of all time (despite some of its faults). However I've been trying to get into man of Brandon Sandersons series with limited success. I've only somewhat enjoyed The Stormlight Archive but parts of it and Mistborn just haven't been able to draw me in like WoT did. It's like the story and language don't do it for me. If anyone could direct me to another series I would be appreciative.

I've also tried Terry Brooks and Terry Goodkind, Earthsea is also on my list.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inugami
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Patrick Rothfuss's The Name of The Wind is pretty awesome. I've read a lot of Brandon Sanderson books but my favorite is still The Name of The Wind

Just read the fucking Worm Ouroboros godDAMN

Sanderson is a shit writer.

With the exception of the last 10 years, Terry Brooks was a great fantasy writer. Heritage of Shannara is GOAT epic fantasy series.

Rothfuss a shit. Name of wind worst shit I ever read.

Like some 13 year old deviant art tier fanfic bullshit, only thing its missing is going full furry.

I kek'd

I kind like the overpowered red haired 16 boy fucking a sex Goddess,

I feel really dumb for reading Terry Goodkind's series.
The whole "seeker of truth" business was just an excuse for lazy writing. It's telling exposition in the form of Richard asking questions. And you get these round-about conversations that could have been condensed to a simple "Why?" and "I can't tell you, it's a secret." Or cut them out out entirely because he's going to see the answers for him anyways. It's not learning the truth ever prepared him for anything, he'll just unconsciously follow his war wizard instinct.

>He didn;t get the overarching plot

pleb

>he didn't understand thta the entire seeker thing was just the Wizard's first rule

The Stormlight Archive is bretty good, but it'll never be finished. Warbreaker was 3/5

No, pretty sure through the whole series Richard would be in a room or around a campfire with someone and their heads would fly off their shoulders as they outlined plot details about prophesies and magic systems; only it was never important that that Richard know any of it beforehand. That was Terry's way of padding the book.
Tell first; Show second.

Read anything Guy Gavriel Kay has written. He's one of Sanderson's favorites and every book he's written is great. (Start with the lions of al-rassan).
As for series, try the First Law by Joe Abercrombie. His stuff'sdarker and grittier than Sanderson and Jordan's but has similar appeal.

Stormlight will, 95%, be finished. The rest of the Cosmere is riskier.

>one of Sanderson's favourites
Time to take him off the to-read list.

Sanderson has pretty good taste in fantasy authors, Kay, Prachett, etc

>try the First Law by Joe Abercrombie
I've been listening to the audiobook while at work and Steven Pacey is damn good voice actor, he really makes the book come alive

Logan Ninefingers is my husbando

Pratchett is shit. People only like him for nostalgia or became he is dead.

What's the big deal about Wheel of Time? I could never get into it. Need to scratch a fantasy itch, read Lord of the Rings or the Silmarillion.

Always felt that WoT was TOR tier crap.

Flame on.

WoT is garbage. So much repetition. No one ever dies. All of the childhood friends turn out to be important special characters. This one outsider culture looks savage and uncivilized at first glance but then turns out to be very honorabru and advanced.

Read Robert E. Howard if you're reading for entertainment

>Tfw these threads have more plebs than the general who unironically recommend Abercrombie and Jordan

>yes, let's keep teling richard random things in hope that it al lcomes true someday!!
The entire series is fucking packed, Like Kahlan and Richard literally get married after the fifth fucking book when they were going to be married in the second.

It's way too fuckiong fast and compressed and Richard keeps getting collars around his necka dn hardly ever meets with Ze, what the fuck do you expect him to know? After all, he is just a woods guide.

I'm currently reading A Darker Shade of Magic.

I was sold on the premise, but I'm halfway through the book and so far I haven't learned anything new that the back cover didn't tell me.

Magician is a royal courior between parallel Londons. Grey magicless London, Red London where magic is in balance, White London where people enslave magic, and Black London that magic consumed.
He smuggles trinkets between worlds as a hobby. One day he gets a hold of something dangerous and ...adventure!

The Debt of Bones was a pretty good short novel, staring Zed.
But maybe I'm biased. He was my favorite character in the TV show. and I resented the fact that he didn't do much through most of the books.

I haven't read anything past the Omen Machine. But everyone thinks Terry either had a stroke or someone is writing in his name, because the newer books are the worst.

The TV show is completely different.

>Mistborn
I could not get into it.
>The Stormlight Archive
Archive was better, I was mainly only interested in the plot of the old guy who is unsure if he is going mad or if the gods are talking to him. The ending was rushed.

Don't you want to learn 1000 hand's secret sex skills from the village of amazons?

Words of Radiance was fucking amazing when the "Diagram" part took place.

I remeber the first books being good. first one was very generic but nice, 3rd one was my first book torture . it got progressively shit as he took stops to speculate on shit or indeed
>follow his war wizard instinct.
bullshit that kept getting worse when he cured himself from unknown poison while on his deathbed or pulled on of his girls from hell naked hugging.
lets not forget the looping plot points, desperate rush to tie it all together and dump shit with emergency abortions. you know something has gone wrong when after 10 books the most memorable moments are the pseudo NTR in the temple of the winds, rats in the pit, people raped to death while some faggot was carving a wooden statue and the naked charge. Seriously most stories involve him rolling into town and shitting on people for being to stupid or too peaceful. mud and jungle people are only ones that get any respect mostly because they are not seen as beholden to same standards

I only liked "best served cold "

Have you read the 2 novels in the Stormlight Archive?

No shit. No barbed penis demon rape. No satanic rituals that pour molten lead down a boy's throat after he develops stockholm syndrome from being buried up to his neck for weeks.
And who could forget the Mord-Sith pain dildos.

The episodes and characters in Season 2 were allusions to the later books. Like Chainfire and The Pillars of Creation.

I had forgotten how rapidly the books ended. Waiting till the last 5 pages to wrap everything up.

That's objectively the worst

It felt like a solid story I would not mind turning into a game. The ending was bit meh with everyone conveniently dying of poison, MC also did not seem like a ruling type

>No satanic rituals that pour molten lead down a boy's throat after he develops stockholm syndrome from being buried up to his neck for weeks.
I don't recall that part. was that in the empire or the pacifist city?
>No barbed penis demon rape
would you fuck a hellhound for magic powers?

>I haven't read anything past the Omen Machine. But everyone thinks Terry either had a stroke or someone is writing in his name, because the newer books are the worst.
I finished and I suspected alzheimer. its mind numbingly repetitive and simplistic. It throws out most of the old rules and overall the 4 new books (5 if you count the first confessor)could have fit into a 12 page notebook. given how shit the writing is any ghost writer would be kicked out so options are
1.its brain damage
2. he has sold the whole thing to some loser trying to make his fanfiction canon.
3.He has always been like this but had a really good editor who died/stopped helping.

So what I am getting from this thread is that all authors are shit, all books are garbage, and you should never read anything not even this post.

its more like
1.some things are shit
2.some things are shit from a technical standpoint but are good at stealing you away so you don't notice the bad till you are done
3.sometimes a book can seem bad because it only works when you are in the right mindset/mood
4.When you have a lot of people talking about something they will have different outlooks
5.There are very few products that have people so devoted to it that they can't bash its flaws 10 years after reading the dang thing
for example I can say that enders game is good story about solitude but stetting is bit wonky and card does not seem to get the difference between family love and romantic love so it comes of like ender wants to fuck his sister.

>"Well," Shallan said to the captain, blushing but still eager to speak, "I was just thinking this: You say that my beauty coaxed the winds to deliver us to Kharbranth with haste. But wouldn't that imply that on other trips, my lack of beauty was to blame for us arriving late?"
>"Well...er..."
>"So in reality," Shallan said, "you're telling me I'm beautiful precisely one-sixth of the time."
>"Nonsense! Young miss, you're like a morning sunrise, you are!"
>"Like a sunrise? By that you mean entirely too crimson"-she pulled at her long red hair-"and prone to making men grouchy when they see me?"
>He laughed, and several of the sailors nearby joined in. "All right then," Captain Tozbek said, "you're like a flower."
>She grimaced. "I'm allergic to flowers."
>He raised an eyebrow.
>"No, really," she admitted. "I think they're quite captivating. But if you were to give me a bouquet, you'd soon find me in a fit so energetic that it would have you searching the walls for stray freckles I might have blown free with the force of my sneezes."
>"Well, be that true, I still say you're as pretty as a flower."
>"If I am, then young men my age must be afflicted with the same allergy-for they keep their distance from me noticeably." She winced. "Now, see, I told you this wasn't polite. Young women should not act in such an irritable way."

>The man pulling the machine was short and dark-skinned, with a wide smile and full lips. He gestured for Shallan to sit, and she did so with the modest grace her nurses had drilled into her. The driver asked her a question in a clipped, terse-sounding language she didn't recognize.
>"What was that?" she asked Yalb.
>"He wants to know if you'd like to be pulled the long way or the short way." Yalb scratched his head.
>"I'm not right sure what the difference is."
>"I suspect one takes longer," Shallan said.
>"Oh, you are a clever one." Yalb said something to the porter in that same clipped language, and the man responded.
>"The long way gives a good view of the city," Yalb said. "The short way goes straight up to the Conclave. Not many good views, he says. I guess he noticed you were new to the city."
>"Do I stand out that much?" Shallan asked, flushing.
>"Eh, no, of course not, Brightness."
>"And by that you mean that I'm as obvious as a wart on a queen's nose."
>Yalb laughed.

can't believe i fell for the meme. two chapters of fighting with no characterization worth a damn, then this autist

fucking DROPPED with the force of a thousand suns

Got I hated Shallan I wanted her to die screaming. I don't know what is it about her, hell I read Iron Dragons Daughter and had no problem stomaching it but sanders loves witting self important smug bitches, it works when its a contrast to other female characters but when they are the heroine my rage knows no limits

>"I think they're quite captivating. But if you were to give me a bouquet, you'd soon find me in a fit so energetic that it would have you searching the walls for stray freckles..."

not bad, sanderson. it's only a little wordy

>"...I might have blown free..."

we get the joke, you don't have to explain it dude

>"...with the force of my sneezes."

jesus fucking christ

Does she get better over the course of the book? I can see this as an acceptable starting position for a character, young and too convinced of their own cleverness. But I would be disappointed if they hadn't matured by the end.

Basically, this being treated as a flaw of the character (one the character themselves is probably blind to) rather than a selling point.

Shallan is shit until she gets her powers in the second book.

unlike warbreaker were character notices their Nativity.Shallan does not learn shit, one of the reasons I hate her story is how out of place it feels, its like a generic YA. She is torn between having hots for generals son and slave bridge runner who she hates but who makes her insides tingle. She is constantly trying to take advantage of everyone and it turns out she has a repressed past were she killed her mom and fear her dad felt is what made him cruel to everyone. its repressed so it only comes out in bits and is connected to the fact that is is one of the few that still has a living magic sword. the dialogue above is what she considers witty but apparently it is wit because having such retarded conversations and a drawing skill is what gets her an apprenticeship to a woman that not only avoids taking apprentice but generally would not even consider anyone who has not read best international philosophers,etc

at later date she discovers a power to convince others of her bullshit. so she magics a group of deserters into her personal guard. in the second book she is mostly the same, she runs around spying and trying to corner advantage, I would say she is only mildly improved. The part were she and the slave fall into a sandworm ravine is annoying cartoon shit of them bickering while ruing,etc Imho book 2 still has lots of cringe that does not fit rest of the story and most of it is tied to her

I don't recommend Daniel Arenson's books. He's able to paint a clear picture. It's just not a creative picture. I downloaded his free samples as ebooks, but I couldn't stand to read more than a few chapters.

It was Darken Rahl in the first book. He was going to use the kid's spirit for something.
It's actually similar to a ceremony in Japanese folklore, only they did it to a dog. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inugami

>I don't recommend Daniel Arenson's books
too bad, I like the cover.

>barbed penis demon rape
That was Kahlan in the first book, right?

I don't get it, did she really get raped, or what?
Also, the second book permanently scarred me for life.

FUCK.

The romance in those novels ruins it

So sappy and hamfisted

migrate over to reddit you neckbeards

read steven erikson or glenn cook

Man they really should, discussing books on Veeky Forums? how dare they

>sanderson drinking game
>take a shot everytime someone "snorts"

No, that was the sisters of the dark in the second book.

I don't remember if Kahlan was ever raped or not. She did something with Richards half-brother in Temple of the Winds.

>No, that was the sisters of the dark in the second book.
....that was the statnic ritual, but I'm talking about when Kahlan used the Con Dar for the first time.

I want to say no. If I remember right, she was with the pedophile henchmen who had to restrain himself for Darken Rahl while burying that kid up to his neck. You know, virgin sacrifice and all that.

And possibly, Rahl would have wanted to keep her for himself. Idk I might be mixing the TV plot up with the Book.

wew, just found the page.

>Kahlan, a look of rage on her face, stretched her arm out and planted her hand against his smooth chest. Zedd braced for the release of her power, for the thunder with no sound.
It didn't come.
>By the look of surprise on Kahlan's face, he knew it should have.
>Demmin Nass brought his fist down and broke her arm.
>Kahlan fell to her knees with a cry of pain. She came back up with her knife in her other hand, slashing at the man before her. He grabbed her hair with his fist, holding her away. She drove the knife up into the arm that held her. He pulled the knife out and twisted it from her hand. With a toss, he stuck it in a tree. Holding her by the hair, he backhanded her across the face a few times. She kicked and clawed and screamed at him while he chuckled. The other three closed in.
>"Sorry, Mother Confessor, I'm afraid you're not my type. But not to worry, these fellows here will be only too happy to do the honors. Try to wiggle your bottom, though," he sneered. "I'll enjoy that much of it."
>Demmin tossed her by her hair to the other three. They shoved her back and forth among them, slapping her, hitting her, spinning her around roughly until she was too dizzy to stand and fell from one pair of arms to another. She was as helpless as a mouse held by three cats. Her hair fell across her face. Kahlan swung her fist at them, too disoriented to make contact. They laughed all the more.
>One of them slammed his fist into her stomach. Kahlan doubled over, dropping to her knees, convulsed in pain. Another lifted her by her hair. The third ripped the buttons off the front of her shirt. They threw her violently back and forth, tearing her shirt, yanking it off with each throw. When it pulled over her broken arm, she screamed in pain.

>Kahlan screamed when one of the men tossed her by her broken arm into the powerful arms of the other two. With her lips pulled back over gritted teeth, she twisted and kicked against them while they held her tight by her arms and hair. The third man unbuckled her belt and tore open the buttons. She spat at him, screamed curses at him. He laughed as he yanked and pulled her pants down her legs, stripping them inside out over her feet. The other two had their arms full holding her; she was almost more than they could handle. Had her arm not been broken, they might not have been able to hold her. One of them twisted it brutally, making her scream.
>The two holding her jerked her head back by her hair while the third put his lips and teeth to her neck, biting her. Pawing her with one hand, he undid his belt and unfastened his pants with the other. He put his mouth over hers, suffocating her screams while his thick fingers moved from her breasts to the darkness between her legs.
>His pants dropped, his leg forced her thighs open. She grunted against his mouth with the effort of trying to prevent what he was doing, but she could not. His thick fingers groped and wormed into her. Her eyes opened wide. Her face was red with rage, her breast heaved with ire.
>"Put her on the ground and hold her down," he growled.

This was a nice trilogy. A different kind of necromancer. Interesting lore and magic systems.

It's world is kinda like Neil Gaiman's Stardust, in the sense that there is another world on the other side of a wall where magic exists.
Only in this case, The Old Kingdom was once a world of it's own and the inhabitants sewed part of their world to ours to save itself or something; it was a vague origin story. For some reason machines and guns don't work in the old kingdom, even paper unravels into pulp unless it was handmade.

The main trouble is the dead things that comeback to life. And it's the MC's duty to send the dead back to the plane of death, which is an ice river with 9 gates. The river's properties change beyond each gate. The deeper levels mutate the dead into horrors.
Necromancers use bells that compel both the living and the dead.

agreed.... its all bullshit

I've read Brandon's Elantris and The Emperor's Soul.
But he's got a multiverse thing going on right? I'm not all that interested in seeing how they are connected. Like trying to keep track of superheros during crossovers - they just disappear for 5 issues like I'm suppose to know they teamed up with the green lanterns in another comic. I'm not compelled to read everything.

I read Mistborn, and my conclusion is: Sanderson is not a novelist, he is a screenwriter. For bad japanese anime shows.

It's anime