Unironically one of the most tedious, boring novels I've ever read

Unironically one of the most tedious, boring novels I've ever read.

No one cares, faggot

>that chapter when the ex priest recalls the first time he met the judge

riveting contribution

I'm almost amazed by how a book this short can be so boring.

It's not just boring but impressively monotonous. For a setting as intense, and prose as purple as McCarthy offers - why is it so god damn hard to want to keep reading it?

I find the opposite to be true.

I had the opposite experience. I was dreading the sustained overwrought descriptions of scenery that everyone here complained about, but when I started reading I was drawn in and found myself enjoying each and every one of them. so fuck you

>reading for plot
>reading for enjoyment

same

If this threw you for a loop, you'll be in bad shape for pretty much any and all classic literature.

I don't believe you. No one has a vocabulary extensive as the one McCarthy uses in this book. How do you get through a sentence without looking up two words?

Not at all. Pretty much every actual classic is a lot more engaging than anything YeCarthy's ever shat out.

how so?

I've read some classics, what do you think I'll have trouble with?

I don't mind heavy description, I don't mind confusing or arcane writing, I don't even mind unique punctuation... it's the actual meat of the prose that I disliked.

The best allegory I can make is like, as if I watched a deep film on an airplane screen with a broken microphone. I feel like everyone has such a profound experience with the novel and I didn't get that at all. All the heavy-handed writing, and overwrought, over stylized descriptions of fucking rocks and different flowers didn't build up into a more appealing (literary) setting but just slowed down whatever interesting energy the story could've mustered.

>No one
Joyce mother fucker.

(not that poster, but) McCarthy used some great words for sure, but I didn't look up every single one of them. No need, context usually informs the reader of the meaning or general concept of the word.

Because you want to finish the book.

I mean to say broken headphones.

oh fuck tell me about it. it sucked so much I made a video review about it.

i-is it really you?

I bet you're European.

Canadian actually.

>making an 'analogy' comparing "the meat of the prose" to the improper viewing method for watching a film

the only way that analogy works is if your brain is the incorrect tool for reading blood meridian, which it seems to be, idiot.

yes why. I'm always here.

You know what I meant. And if you really missed what I was saying, then you're the idiot.

Everyone raves about the atmosphere of the story but I felt completely detached from it. So, what about all those repetitive descriptions of the mountains to the east/west, or the sky, or the flowers, or whatever - what about them enhance the experience of the story?

I get it to a point, and I'll happily concede that I probably could have tolerated it more than I did - but by the midpoint it was tedious and I was only reading it to finish it, not out of any enjoyment.

I was curious and interested in Judge Holden (how can't you be, he's a literary cheat code - such an easy character to write) and for whatever payoff there could be with regards to him.

The ending wasn't even that difficult to parse, I just felt rather unfulfilled. Curiously, it all felt a bit obvious and overdone.

>I don't mind heavy descriptions
>I don't mind confusing or arcane writing

>All the heavy-handed writing, and overwrought, over stylized descriptions

u wot m8?

>The best allegory I can make is like, as if I watched a deep film on an airplane screen with a broken microphone. I feel like everyone has such a profound experience with the novel and I didn't get that at all.
That sounds way more interesting than watching a film normally. Stop worrying about the right way to do things and how others do it, live *your* life.

You solved the puzzle

I don't mind those aspects, but I'm questioning whether it helped this novel or detracted from the experience.

Who the hell gives a shit about the shape of the faraway mountains, especially where there isn't any tangible connection to anything at all and they have nothing to do with the story or plot or the atmosphere.

That part where Judge is trying to kill The Kid in the desert the entire time i had this image of a demonic man with a makeshift rotting parasol in the Elephant graveyard from the lion king. I dont think a live action adaption would ever do it justice

Unironically one of the most tedious, boring posts I've ever read.

That part was pretty cool, for sure.

But the Judge is such a meme character. I mean, look at his name, it's so obvious. He's a mary-sue, he can do everything right, he knows everything, he can survive anything, even sudden raids in the dead of the night... so at some points, it's almost as if Cormac is stringing the story along so as to "dilute" how obviously OP the Judge actually is.

It's an almost flawless masterpiece. If you are bored in the presence of beauty you are ugly.

I know your kind. What's wrong with you is wrong all the way through you.

*Spits*

>how obviously OP the Judge actually is

this ain't a fuckin comic book nigga

You're not a very smart boy, are you? The judge isn't human ya jabroni

>You know what I meant. And if you really missed what I was saying, then you're the idiot.

yeah nah, you weren't actually making sense. you sound like a child blabbering and unable to make cohesive intelligible points about something.

>Everyone raves about the atmosphere of the story but I felt completely detached from it. So, what about all those repetitive descriptions of the mountains to the east/west, or the sky, or the flowers, or whatever - what about them enhance the experience of the story?

you act as if you read solely to understand the narrative, which is fine, but maybe literature is not for you then. your argument relies on labelling mccarthy's prose as anything but good, because you really don't have any tangible argument besides "i didn't like it", and your musings on the ending of the novel seem to indicate that you haven't actually learnt how to read yet and merely consume works, probably for the purposes of impressing other people.

The Judge's purpose in the story isn't to be some cool villain that's perfect for the hero to somehow overcome. He's supposed to be an eldritch abomination in human skin

No shit he isn't human. It's obvious, that's the problem. There is a surprisingly lack of mystery to him as a character.

My man, it's late where I'm living and I'm not particularly expressing myself as well as I maybe should - but don't mistake that with an inability to read.

So instead of doing this, what you're doing now, why don't you instead talk about the novel - what you think about it, why you didn't mind the writing style, etc. No need to be pedantic, let's have a conversation.

>But the Judge is such a[n elenementary idea of human culture].
Precisely.

man, i'm not trying to be so mean to you, but either you need to get some good sleep or read the book again without being contrarian enough to the point that you actually understand the judge's character.

It's obvious. Only a moron would miss what the Judge is about.

I posit that it's so obvious that it's unimpressive.

I don't understand how someone could not like BM. All the complaints you've made occur quite often in fiction.

What books do you normally read user? That would explain quite a lot.

I last read Cryptonomicon by Stephenson off a recommendation. I've just finished my masters in business management and unfortunately only read four or so novels over that span. Blood Meridian, Cryptonomicon, For Whom the Bell Tolls, and Lolita.

BM was the most tedious

The book can be tedious, but reading novels isn't supposed to be like watching TV.

i agree with this

read butcher's crossing
it's better

It's not supposed to be "impressive", you dolt. You don't read the book to bask in the glory of the author's literary phallus. You're supposed to reflect on what you're reading out of your own heart, not be force fed wisdom or rise up to some petty mental challenge. Yes, it's obvious; it's obvious that the Judge is diabolical and wrong, but people and society still think like he does and act accordingly all the time, for as long as there have been people--it's obvious that killing is wrong, but saying that never stopped any murders or wars. People like you, who think they have it all figured out already are all too ready to reduce things and others, and always end up fucking things up. You couldn't live a "simple" or "obvious" life if you tried: you would have an existential crisis the moment you notice no one is fellating you in some way since you turned off your headphones and you could first hear the birds chirping.

>There is a surprisingly lack of mystery to him as a character.

There's the one about what his nature is then, if not human.