Early 20th is modernism

>early 20th is modernism
>late 20th century is postmodernism

what movement defines the early 21st century?

Postpostmodernism also known as New Sincerity

after the bombs go off it'll be Illuminated Qabbalah.

autism

mydiarydesuism

permamediocrity

"I don't know what the fuck I'm doing"-ism

no movement coherant or notable enough to be in the same category as those two. currently we're in the transition period away from PM

The Pre-Harris era followed by the post-Harris era i.e now and forever more

Aces lad is my hero

Post-postmodernism (synthesis of earnest traditionalism and cynical modernism)

postirony

Holy kek

the internet

Right now authors are stuck in a false dichotomy between modernism and post-modernism leading to such glorious manifestos as containing the phrase "we must go forth and oscillate" as a sort of revolutionary statement.

I will define it in 5 years

fargo is a lit show
lorne is the overman and lester embodies the overman for a while and then blows it. lester imitates the overman, but is not the overman, if you get my meaning.
very nietzschean. good show.
season two is more existential and absurdist (it's kind of used interchangeably). it's a bit more hamfisted but it's good regardless - the plot progresses at a much more bookish pace, which I enjoy.

Twitter

lel I love seeing Ben Stiller do that bluesteel look

End of man/transhumanism

Faggotryism

Memes

I agree with this sentiment. Fargo has been the only new show I've enjoyed in a few years.

Except Rick and Morty ;^)

I can't get into Rick and Morty.
I thought True Detective season 2 was ass, but I watched it while reading 2666 (or rather I read 2666 while it was airing) and some of the similarities are almost plagiarist.

We won't know what the defining movement of our era is/was until like the 2080s you dip. Learn how historicity works.

the extermination of all sentient life on earth

True Detective season 2 /is/ ass.

Nice

"Holy... I want more"inism

Wow, how does one oscillate?

memeism

death of nationalism

Islam

I'm not even a /pol/ack.

unironically? diversitism. someone shuold make a manifesto, it's cristal clear that's an avanguard.

>avanguard
fuck me, I meant avant-garde.

Underrated.

Shake that ass

The kind of creeping existential dread that comes from seeing things which could very well be the end of life as we know it over the horizon (e.g.: climate change, antibacterial resistance) will be a more potent influence over our coming thoughts than any experimental fiction or convoluted theory.

What kind of thoughts did the cuban missile crisis, spanish flu or the plague inspire? Ours will be perhaps closer to that than the gluttonous self-obsession of alt-lit, I expect.

a c c e l e r a t i o n i s m

Isn't that the guy from Zoolander, Adam Sandler?

you just made up 'diversitism'

idk but i fell as if mysticism is going to have an influence in it, perhaps the platonic kind?

>postmodernism built on skepticism of sincerity, grand narrativies and ideology
>nevered dared to be skeptical of left-wing narratives and ideologies
this is a pretty easy way to determine that the whole thing was bullshit

I never watched season 2 of TD. It looked worse than season 1 and I was pretty disappointed. Season 1 had a really great aesthetic in the first half but shit the bed with the second half.

>I can't get into Rick and Morty.
Fair enough, it isn't perfect. The best western cartoon is currently The Venture Brothers but it isn't new. Check it out if you haven't already.

That's untrue.
Anyway, postmodernism formed as a reaction to the end of WWII. The Holocaust was very influential and was perpetrated by a conservative group. Of course there will be a reaction to that.

And communists killed 100 million people by 1961.

At any rate, what did postmodernists criticize that was left-wing? Criticizing something for not being genuinely left-wing enough doesn't count

Postmodernism and revolutionary Marxism don't jibe bruv.

The Left hasn't done anything since May 68

It doesn't seem like apocalypticism in art was as big in the most dangerous periods of the Cold War as one would expect. 9/11 seems to have fascinated more artists than the constant threat of nuclear annihilation.

The bowel movement.

nu-modernism

basically a revivalist idealism and pogressivism on the outside (with a modern multiculturalist, tolerant and liberalist coating) just to disguise the growing depression and sense of impending doom experienced by the new generation

Sincerity

Vaporwave

The most experimental artistic works are low budget versions of postmodernist deconstruction works. They highly favor style over substance and are noted for building an unique aesthetic rather a poignant message. In opposition to the highly moralistic politics of the day, they are usually filled with raw emotional energy that has no direction other than outward.

Awesome Show, Great Job (and all that it has spawned) and many Adult Swim related projects and shows
Pynchon Revival
Infinite Jest
YouTube channels
Vaporwave and other highly edited styles
Punk Aesthetics (steampunk, cyberpunk,punk rock, ...) no message like old punk
Hipsters and ironic fashion
Instagram lifestyle

I should also say the Joyce (specifically Ulysses) and Flan O'Brien revival. Cormac Mccarthy as well.

Back to /mu/, pseud

Are we really getting the word count debate again? Because WWI alone killed 18 million people in a 4 year span, and that's a pretty capitalist war.

I thought this was a relatively interesting post.

Funny you call that user a pseud, he made a decent post that contributed to discussion while you're here giving no thought at all.

God-tier Sincerity works coming through

you're a GEEK

>Stalin
>communist

typical /pol/ retard who's never read a book before

Hi Nikita.

"My Brilliant Friend is a large, captivating, amiably peopled bildungsroman."

sounds like damning with faint praise.

also, shouldn't "amiably peopled" be hyphenated?

Not defending him but marxist leninism is communism.

Thankfully not a pseud

fuckingshitism

This. I'm working on something that's literally the Qaballah's beauty in literature form as we speak.

How can those be reconciled

You seem really butthurt

Every genuine, ideological commie I know defends him and mao to some degree

>I thought this was a relatively interesting post.

Thanks I'm glad someone bothered to read it.

I don't browse /mu/ but I'm familiar with vaporwave. I only thought to call it that because I was explaining vaporwave to someone earlier today.

By sifting through the shit for the truths that have been forgotten

Dont hate, they are just being sincere

Audiencism/connectivism

Kind of like what Dickens did when he eavsdropped on people talking about his serials, except more direct. I don't really know what I'm talking about, but probably heavy reader influence. Tumblr crowd makes me think authors are going to begin capitolizing on popular fanfiction, too.

Including the parts where it directly goes against what Marx wrote?

Synthesis implies the creation of something new, metamodernists and postpostmodernists are just alternating arbitrarily between the thesis and the antithesis.

the 21st century is the century of genre fic and self-help books

this is the dominant lit of the day

I don't think that a direct gaze into the events would be the only way of treating them. With Kennedy's death, American security officials perceived a threat to the superpower's ability to project superiority and credibility. Some claim this post-Kennedy clamour for image and credibility directly influenced the controversial decision to remain, or even engage in, Vietnam, long after it was militarily viable.

In this sense, stuff like Taxi Driver, DeLillo's Libra, e.g., become voices of a new existential uncertainty in which the status quo can be made unstable by a single actor without a clear motive or place in the international conflict it re-centres.

The catalyst may not make sense, or may seem to be 'in the air' as it were, or even an inevitable 'product of the times'. But it is of 'us', it is recognisable when we see it.

Didn't know that connection between Taxi Driver and Kennedy assassination. Was there a noticeable increase in media about rogue actors after the Kennedy assassination? Would something like the death of John Lennon have also increased public awareness of the potential for random crazy people to act out in violent ways, or was this act relatively unsurprising outside of the actual death of the celebrity?

I dunno when assassinations for the purpose of achieving fame or notoriety became a thing. When I think about it, most assassinations prior to those seem like they were personal or political.

I unironically unironically believe we should only talk about infinite jest and ulysses on this board

>They highly favor style over substance and are noted for building an unique aesthetic rather a poignant message.
You've succinctly defined the essence of 21st century entertainment. The world has gone to shit; people no longer want to think because they see no path to a better world, they just want to feel good.

contemporary

there is no 'current movement'

traditional family

It's not a bad thing, it's just a movement within art.

awesome show, great job do aim to(and actually do) deliver messages with their surrealist humour perhaps you fail to recognize it from episode to episode.

imagine being this out of touch even though you spend over 6 hours a day on the internet

I was going to list Neon Genesis Evangelion as the greatest work of the early 21st century but I didn't think you were ready for that.

so great it transcends centurial barriers

E7 did it better anyway, and you know was actually made in the 21st century.

lmao... bruh

>the nazis
>conservatives
pic one

I was talking about the only version that matters; Rebuild.

>gay piano

That scene was art-kino. The Lolita of anime.

>if it doesn't precisely conform to marx in every way its not communism

Holy . . .

homo

Dude how many layers of unirony are you on right now?

WWI was not an ideology war, it was a resource and tension war. Capitalism -as a system- causing a war for resource -partly- is not comparable to a war of ideology, or killing for an ideology.

>vaporwave
>unique aesthetic

nice lumping of completely different movements (speaking of which, we are no more undergoing a Pynchon revival than we were twenty years ago, and John Lyndon would like to piss on your shoe for proclaiming punk originally had no message) under the same shit buzzword though. also a lot of vaporwave sees itself as anti-consumerism and even anti-capitalist so i guess you failed there too.